Attending modern dance performances in Munich

13 posts in this topic

Posted

I wonder if there is any interest at all in in starting up a regular meet-up of people interested in modern dance / dance theatre / ballet performances. I somehow found myself drawn into this world after almost accidentally attending a performance in Chicago a few years ago and being amazed and fascinated. Now that I'm in Munich, I'm planning to go to performances regularly. The general idea for the meet-up would be that we'd first attend a performance and then gather afterwards nearby to hash out our reactions (dismay? delight?) over drinks & food. If the idea takes off, I might even launch a local English language arts blog for Munich with reviews, write-ups, upcoming events etc. - why not?

If all of this strikes you as still naive, but oddly compelling none the less, do please reply and we can come up with a better plan. To get a sense of what's going in Munich in modern dance, take a look for example at http://www.tanztendenz.de or http://www.dance2012.de

At any rate, I'll be going to Die Faszination der Fünfsamkeit at the Schwere Reiter this Sunday - call it meeting #1. All are welcome.

Posted

I wish I lived in or near Munich, but I don't - otherwise I'd be very interested. My interest in the topic led me to click on your thread, and I've taken the liberty of changing your title, as you don't seem to want to do modern dance *yourself*, but rather attend modern dance performances. :)

Posted

Definitely do *not* want to try dancing myself, lord no - thank you :-)

Posted

hey there! i am a modern dancer in munich : ) I will see die faszination - but probably on saturday. on sunday i heard there is a 3d showing of 'Pina' at cinema Rex..! I love this choreographer and her work so will probably go to that tooooo... Anyway, so nice that there are other people interested in this crazy dance world : ) would be nice to see something together in future. best e x

Posted

@ Elina, I would really be interested in joining you at a "gathering".I was quite passionate about modern dancing in my teens and early 20's and like to see more. Also had a quick peak at your profile and thrilled to discover that you've spent a period in SA too :).

@ @rno; I'd be interested in the dance theater and modern dance... Curious about ballet (maybe)

Posted

Hello, I am interested as well, I love modern dance performances!

Posted

Thanks to everyone for responding - I had forgotten to turn on the "watch" feature for the topic and so it was a nice surprise today to see this much interest.

Elina mentioned the documentary on Pina Bausch. I hadn't realized this was playing in Munich. It's at the Neue Rex, this Sunday at 11am. Just one screening. I haven't seen any of her works live but I caught most of a documentary of her working on a production with high-school kids in Berlin. That was impressive - I especially liked her team's process with the students. It seemed pretty tough but also with a tremendous amount of respect for the dancers. There's a high-quality version of the trailer to the film on Apple trailers along with a short interview with Wim Wenders, who makes a good case for why 3D film and dance are complementary mediums. Matinee screenings always leave me staggering out the cinema like a drunk blinking at the sunlight but I'm not going to miss this - thanks for the tip!

So far, @junglejane and I are going to Die Faszination der Fünfsamkeit at the Schwere Reiter this Sunday at 8:30. It's also playing on Saturday. Tonight's performance (premiere) is sold out. Unfortunately I just found out that the ticket office at Schwere Reiter is only open Mo. - Th (helpfully, this is not noted on their website..) so we can't phone ahead a any more to reserve tickets. However, they do have an email address where you can send reservation requests: reservierung@schwerereiter.de

What to do? I think the Pina film on Sunday at 11am will for sure have tickets available at the door - @JacquieD and @briie if you have time and interest, please reply here if you're going and we can meet at the cinema (I hope Elina doesn't mind us crashing her movie!). For the Fazination performance, I don't know if tickets will be available - but I would expect that they are and that you'd get a note back from them if it was sold out. Reply back if you're going and we'll look for you before the performance.

Alternatively, Goldberg Variationen / Gods and Dogs is playing this Saturday at the Nationaltheater - I'm going to go to that as well. Might as well, as long as I'm full of Sturm und Drang :^)

Here's a link (PDF) to a calendar of upcoming contemporary dance performances in Munich: http://www.tanztendenz.de/files/uploads/TK_13_1_web.pdf

Posted

Babysitter permitting, I would be interested in upcoming events

As for this weekend and totally out of this genre, I'll be watching James Bond: skyfall at cinema-munchen. ( missed it when it was released )

Posted

After a hasty start last week with no time for anyone to make proper plans, here's three event suggestions with more advance notice:

Thu, Jan 31st., 8:30, Schwere Reiter

In this very moment (Stefan Herwig)

http://www.tanztendenz.de/files/detail_cal.php?seite=9&folge=00&id=755

http://www.muenchenbuehnen.de/de_DE/event/10854453_In_This_Very_Moment (from the premiere, offers a little more background)

or

Sun, 17 Feb, 8:30, Schwere Reiter

VRUM (PLUSBrasil)

http://www.tanztendenz.de/files/detail_cal.php?seite=9&folge=00&id=754

or

Fr, 22 Feb, 8:30, Schwere Reiter

Iss Mich! (Claudia Senoner)

http://www.tanztendenz.de/files/detail_cal.php?seite=9&folge=00&id=756

I spoke to the director of TanzTendenz and we can get a reduction off the regular Euro 15 price at Schwere Reiter if we put together a group of five or more people. For the same reason, I deliberately left out contemporary dance events at the Nationaltheater since they're more expensive - plus they'd just laugh at me if I called for a discount.

Please sign-up with your preference (In this very moment / Vrum / Iss Mich).

a) @rno (I'm open to all three)

B)

c)

d)

e)

f)

Are people also interested in meeting before or after the event for drinks or dinner?

Posted

a) @rno (I'm open to all three)

B) Jacquied (22 feb - Iss Mich!)

Posted

No idea why my b. became a emoticon and won't edit

Posted

I thought there was a way to turn off emoticons and emoji in one's TT profile but I guess not. The post editor probably thought it was being helpful - switching to a column of numbers fixed it.

1) @rno (I'm open to all three)

2) JacquieD (22 feb - Iss Mich!)

3)

4)

5)

6)

Posted

I'n going to close-out this topic/thread since it proved to be too difficult to get organized (for me too - I had to cancel attending several performances). I'm a member now at TanzTendenz (only €50 / year) which gets me 1/3 off the regular ticket prices and I can buy more tickets at that price for others attending with me. So what I'll do is occasionally post that I'm planning to go to an event and if a few more TT members want to tag along and make use of my discount, all the better. I'll post these in the regular Munich events section.