Problem with Romani beggars

257 posts in this topic

Posted

I know this post is about to earn me a record amount of negs for "biased" commentary, but I genuinely don't care at this point because I'm at my wit's end.

I live in Wiesbaden and work in Frankfurt, and therefore commute via train between the two. At LEAST once a week, I am approached at the Hbf (or bus stops) and pestered by Romanian women (and children!!!) begging for money. Often they will use infants or small toddlers as a ploy saying neither one of them has had anything to eat in days, or try other ruses like handing me a rose and then asking for money. Often times they flatly refuse to get moving until I end up shouting in their face to leave me alone. And get this...on more than one occassion, I have encountered the same beggar later on either talking on an iphone or paying for an item with a €50 note.

And it doesn't stop at begging. I briefly held a quick mini-job at a grocery store and have on at least 3 different occassions caught people trying to shoplift items--all 3 of them Romanian. I get approached on the street by prostitutes--and the Romanian accent is clear. This morning had me completely floored--I was at a bus stop and was approached by a Romanian woman who appeared to be asking information about a bus. She was talking quietly, and reflexively I bent down to her so I could hear her better. Moments later, I heard someone scream "HEY!!!" and then rush up and proceed to grab a small child that was standing directly behind me....and in his hand was my wallet. The woman then pretended to scold him and "apologize" to me, but the transparency of it all was almost laughable

....not only are you teaching your children how to beg, you teach them how to STEAL AND ROB PEOPLE?!? I am genuinely trying to wrap my mind around this, it's completely unheard of.

What's really getting to me is that each and every time, it's ALWAYS the same nationality: Romanian! Not Turkish, not Russian, not Middle Eastern, not African, not Asian, not Polish... Romania! I know plenty of immigrants from places like Türkei that come to Germany and legitimately find work and even have their own businesses. Why is it the Romanians aren't interested in finding a job and resort to professional begging and criminal activity? I'm trying to understand. I know it's wrong to be biased, but when it's all coming from the same damn country....!!!

Posted

And yet I've known three Romanians who were good workers. All women. One was the Romanian receptionist at our Japanese pharma company in London. Married to a British guy, two young children. Very strict with them. And really good English considering she wasn't a graduate. If only the British graduates I worked with could have spoken good English!

Then there was a woman at the gym who used to give massages and facials here in D'dorf. Very pleasant woman. I think when the economic crisis broke out at the end of 2008, she lost too many customers and left that gym.

And then there was the checkout woman in Kaisers. Lovely woman, cheerful, always working, stopped to have a child.

Posted

I know this post is about to earn me a record amount of negs for "biased" commentary, but I genuinely don't care at this point because I'm at my wit's end.

but you do...

Carry on.

Posted

Can someone enlighten me on the difference between Roma and Romanians, I've never heard of "Roma"...

Posted

They have gotten quite bad here in Frankfurt over the past year. The Occupy Frankfurt situation didn't help any either, as they were all hanging out there. The Hauptwache is the gathering point, and on more than one occasion, the police have had them all rounded up for something.

You see them sitting in the doorways of the Dom, sometimes at the Alte Nikolai, walking back and forth between the Hauptwache and the Römer. Handing out roses, homeless ewspapers or having some kind of handicap are the favorite begging methods. Have seen them on the u-bahns walking just fine, carrying their crutch and then once they get upstairs, they start dragging their foot.

Don't know what the solution is, but when they come up to you, just ignore them, don't even look at them. If you must, say a terse "no thanks" and quickly move on. Report any illegal activity to the police they are near-by.

Posted

As other posters have said, the people you are referring to are most likely Roma - not Romanians; however, I also find it extremely annoying. Not because of the people begging - I simply ignore them, because, as you say, they are very transparent. What makes me really sad and angry is when I see them using children; it utterly breaks my heart, and makes me so mad. I encountered a lot of them in Munich during last summer, and there was one particular woman who always hung around outside the HBF in Munich with a little girl about the same age as my daughter, and instead of getting me to feel sorry for her, all I could do was feel hatred for this woman for doing that to her child - even though I know that's wrong, and that probably she is being forced to do it by someone else.

I guess the best thing you can do is just ignore it - hard as it may be; because if you let it get to you, it will REALLY get you.

Posted

Big problem in London with them on the underground system too. My sister is a train driver and they get a lot of complaints about the women begging with babies. All they can do is report it to the British Transport Police, but all they can really do is move them on. You don't want two burly coppers to be seen dragging a poor lady and her baby away, That's a human rights violation at it's finest, the Daily Mail would be all over that like white on rice.

We also have a few on the Main street in Stuttgart doing the draggy leg/crutch thing. They are often filthy, too filthy if anything, in that it looks as thought they've carefully 'applied' a layer of dirt. If you notice though, their shoes are always nice!!

Posted

Problems with Romani beggars

Can they not find a job?!

why would they when the earnings standing around are high. most of them have nasty gang masters. they are treated as slaves.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/panorama/hi/front_page/newsid_9618000/9618038.stm

Posted

I think Roma is the new politically correct word for gypsies with Romanian origin. At least in the country I am coming from. God forbid you call any 'Roma' a gypsy in there and these days. That is very against their human rights, apparently. But they are free to call you a 'white scum' and similar abusive words. It is a very complicated issue that would require a lot of time to discuss that through.

Posted

Roma

Not all gypsies are Romanian and not all Romanians are gypsies. That's the difference.

Posted

God forbid you call any 'Roma' a gypsy in there and these days.

Yes, the term Zigeuner (gypsy) used to be used in Germany as well but is seen as a derogatory expression these days. (Except when you're talking about Zigeunerschnitzel, I guess.)

Posted

You asked: Can they not find a job?

It would seem that they have one & it pays well (& is tax-free):

The Herms were standing in line to give him money! He must have been taking in €500 an hour.

A Vereinskollege relates how he encountered a beggar in Hamburg with crutch & 1 leg & 10 minutes later was almost knocked down by same "beggar" running at high speed (& on 2 legs).

Sounds like a pretty good buisness plan...

Posted

Look around you at how the Germans standing near you react and copy them, you seem to be standing out somehow.A firm attitude is very useful.

Posted

How is this post upvoted? It's depressing how on this board every single post targeting and insulting Roma is upvoted. For god's sake, the OP can't even tell the difference between Romanians and Roma and makes a completely racist implication that Roma are responsible for all the crimes in his area (I think that's the purpose of his anecdote about the shoplifters in his store) and he still gets upvoted!

Posted

when you've been posting or visiting here for years, you can very reliably predict which posts will be upvoted and which posts will be downvoted. Blatant racism is popular around here if you pick the right target.

I just reread his post and it's utterly absurd. He's at his "wit's [sic] end" from gypsy beggars? What a dipshit. Just flatly tell them "No" and they'll leave you alone. Big fucking deal.