Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Visa denial risk for relatives vacation

29 posts in this topic

Posted

This is a problem that hasn't come up yet, it seems.

I bought a Canary Islands vacation as a gift for relatives from a country that does not have automatic Schengen visas. It's a package trip with flight from Germany. Their Schengen visas are still pending and due from embassy---they're visiting me first, before I send them on---officially a few days before their trips. I don't expect them to be denied---I have no reason to believe so. But if they are, I'm pretty sure that Reiseversicherung doesn't list visa denial as a payback condition.

What happens to my payment on the trip if the visas are denied? It's a Thomas Cook vacation booked online. I know that the money probably won't be returned, but I'd settle for store credit. Before I try to call them I'm curious as to whether anyone knows what has happened in the past. (Also I need to psychologically gear up to make a German phone call and bone up on my travel agency vocab, which is much better in person...)

As I said, I have no reason to expect a visa denial, as the embassy said all the paperwork is in order and the people in question have nothing special about them, have verifiable money and are not likely to go on Eurowelfare, etc...but as their visit gets closer I start getting jittery, especially since they were told to come only a few days before their trip...

Posted

Stop borrowing trouble, there's nothing you can do to influence the visa process.

Regarding a refund, or a store credit, let's just say I'm sure your relatives will get their visa and all will be well.

Posted

OK thanks. Someone else I know didn't get her visa in time for a business trip, and this has made me a bit jittery especially since the time between the scheduled visa receipt and the actual trip is only a few days...

I tend to fuss over possible futures. Anxious personality.

Posted

Visa was rejected and I called and am out 1200 EUR. I can change the name and date to someone else, if someone wants to buy a trip from me for cheap to Puerto de Mogan.

Posted

Can I ask more about the visa rejection? I come for a third world country with very bad reputation and I have invited here many relatives and friends and never experienced a rejection. Did you sign for them a Verpflichtungserklärung?

Posted

I'm sorry to hear it.

I think you would have a better chance to sell it here if you would also say:

• no. of persons it is for, I assume 2?
  • from what airport they would have to fly
  • what hotel it is for
  • what is included: breakfast / Halbpension, i.e. breakfast+dinner / Vollpension, i.e. breakfast+lunch+dinner / All inclusive
  • in what date range they would have to fly

Some photos of the hotel might also catch people's attention.

Posted

Could they not just fly here and connect without staying over?

Posted

and what would they do when they got to the Canary Islands? (which are also in the Schengen zone)

Posted

Nope, the Canary Islands require a Schengen visa for reals.

I got the Verpflichtungserklaerung. The person denied the visa is my sister-in-law. She married my brother but is still waiting for a Canadian visa. They thought they'd have a sort of honeymoon as well as visit me. I bought them a package trip to the Canaries as part of their stay, which included arrival in Germany and a few days with me. The application included my brother's income statements.

The trip is from Saarbruecken to a resort called Cordial Mogan Playa. It starts on Tuesday upcoming through Saturday. (so there's not enough time for visa reapplications though that likely wouldn't work anyway.) I am writing from a mobile phone (travelling myself) so I haven't posted any pictures. I'm still finding out whether I *can* even change the names on the flights. Still talking to the travel agency (Air Marin).

Posted

Why doesn't the OP disclose the country of the person denied a visa? Perhaps this will help with the discussion.

Posted

How would it? Visa denied. No discussion. All he wants to do now is sell the holiday.

Posted

It would if the relative was from a county like North Korea, Afghanistan, Mali, etc. Then what would the op expect if there wasn't instant visa approval. I agree with you that it's a non-issue that he is S.O.L. and he ought to have planned for possible visa delay/denial before he forked over cash.

Posted

Alas, it is hard to plan for these things. The passport in question is heavily used. In hindsight it was obviously a mistake. No, it wasn't Iran or North Korea :) I suspect it was that she hadn't gotten her Canadian residency permit yet, and would have to go back to her country without my brother. I wanted to do something nice for them while they waited (the Canadian process takes years, quite literally).

I also didn't clue in that they don't give store credit like airlines do, sans fee.

Posted

Sorry to hear about the visa troubles. Most travel insurances are for when someone gets sick and can't travel. Surely your relative was sick and not denied a visa. ;)

Posted

I had a look at AirMarin's terms and conditions.

If you cancel now, you would still get back 15% of the price:

post-24869-1358447408986.jpg

If you get somebody else to take over, that couple will have to pay an extra 33€ per person to change the names on the hotel reservation.

It is also 33€ per person to change the names on the flight ticket:

• if it is a regular flight and changes are allowed by that air tariff. If changes are not allowed on that regular flight, then that couple would have to book new tickets
  • if it is a charter flight (which it very probably is) with XAIR or YAIR named as the carrier.

post-24869-13584474070492.jpg

Posted

I suspect it was that she hadn't gotten her Canadian residency permit yet, and would have to go back to her country without my brother.

I think this is the reason, if she is not yet a resident in Canada she would have to apply for the Schengen Visa in her country.

Posted

and what would they do when they got to the Canary Islands? (which are also in the Schengen zone)

Didn't think of that. Doh!

Based on my one trip to the Canary Islands, I thought they let anybody go there.

So, if you really want to sell it, what are the dates?

Posted

Krieg: She did apply in her country. My suspicion is that they wanted to see an onward ticket for someone going on a honeymoon trip, but she doesn't have one. My brother and his wife live apart while various bureaucratic wheels grind together.

Fraufruit: The dates of the trip are 22.01.2013 to 26.01.2013, ie, Real Soon Now. The dates themselves can be changed for an additional fee, but the time to sell is short, alas.

An alternative is for me to simply cancel one of them and use the other ticket (after changing the date) for a "long weekend" for myself, though I'm not an island vacation fan. That's what I'll do unless someone offers a fair-ish price and we can effect the name-change fast.

Posted

I'll post an ad soon. The Air Marin people were supposed to have gotten back to me on whether Air Berlin will change the names on the flights now, but I'll pester them again in the morning.

Posted

Ah, I see now to what rhody was referring. I realized it at first to some chagrin, but for various reasons I don't think it would have worked this time. I mean, the first thing *I* would ask for is to see the visa stamp...among other things.

This is probably too stupid but I am wondering if postponing the trip and *then* cancelling would get more money back, but if I were them I'd have written the contract to exclude this. Must check.

Posted

What about postponing and using it yourself for some relaxation?

Posted

That's my current plan although I have one potential buyer. I'd still lose half the ticket, see, since I am single and won't probably find a friend willing to share the room in the next two days.

Posted

I don't care to share a room with random people off the interwebs I haven't previously met in real life, so no, I won't be posting a pic of me. And I'm not looking for a date---single by preference. Thanks for the suggestion, though. :)