Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Downhill skiing day trip

21 posts in this topic

Posted

Dear All,

I plan to go on a day trip to the Garmisch-Partenkirchen ski resort this Saturday and am looking for others to join.

The resort is located just below the Zugspitze ski centre and can be reached by a dedicated train (+ cable car) leaving from the town. There is a DB bahn offer for 42 Euros (http://www.zugspitze.de/en/winter/skigebiet/zugspitze/garmischer-skiexpress.htm) that contains the daily ski pass (37 Euros by default) in addition to the train roundtrip between Munich and Garmisch-Partenkirchen. The train leaves at 7AM and the travel takes about 90 minutes.

Although it may be a bit too early to get accurate forecasts, but according to (http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Garmisch-Classic/6day/mid) the weather is going to be nice, -1 - -6°C with some clouds.

List of participants

--------------------

1. Peter496

Posted

I'm in if theres enough snow. I assume they have equipment hire places there?

List of participants

--------------------

1. Peter496

2. Simpkins

Posted

I will look into the rental options in more detail, but there are plenty of rental places to choose from.

Posted

you could also rent from a shop here in MUC before you go.

take it with ya, bring it back the next day.

Posted

I might come along but I have to say I always struggle to get the 0700 Garmisch Express and usually end up on a later train.

And I might even be going down Friday evening depending upon whether my friend, in Garmisch, is home or not.

So, I would like to say yes but can't just yet

Posted

Does anyone have experience with a rental place in Munich that he/she could recommend? Is there a chance that the skis could be picked up the day before . I would assume it is considerably cheaper to rent in Munich and this way the hassle with the timely return (some places want the gear back by 3PM) can be avoided.

Posted

THis (old) link has some information:

http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=30247

When Ive been before and hired, there was no 3pm cutoff.

I plan to rent at the place itself.

Posted

Ok so to summarize the current standing:

List of attendees

-----------------

1. Peter 496

2. Simpkins

3. ilmini35?

Weather update

--------------

Sunny with some clouds, temperatures in the range of -4,-8 in the morning, -10,-13 in the afternoon (at 1350m). A few centimeters of fresh snow is expected in the previous days.

Rental info update

------------------

We will probably rent the ski gear (boots, skis, poles) at the venue. To some extent it might be possible to rent ski jackets as well if needed. Everyone is encouraged to have ski goggles & wear (non cotton) ski socks. For the rental an ID card might be necessary as a security deposit, for this reason having 2 cards (ID + driving licence) might be advisable.

Venue info update

-----------------

I have asked someone that went to the Garmisch-classic resort last weekend, and the fee for the cogwheel / cable car is contained in the price of the DB Bahn Ski-express ticket. The Ski-express ticket can be purchased from the ticket vending machines, the ski pass is provided either on the train of the ticket office of the cogwheel train at the Garmisch-Partenkirchen train station.

Additional info

---------------

I believe having ski insurance might be a good investment considering that evacuation of any form (ski patrol) or treatment at private health facilities is not covered by state health insurance (as far as I know) and can be very expensive even for minor injuries.

Posted

What about the meeting point?

Posted

any room for a noob snowboarder? :D

Posted

Our motto could be "noobs of Munich unite" so according to that everyone with little experience is welcome.

Posted

Regarding the meeting point I will post the final details tomorrow. As the train leaves from HBF we should obviously meet there some time before the train leaves so that there is time to purchase the tickets.

Posted

Ok so here are the final details:

Meeting time: Saturday, 12.01.2013, *6:30AM*

Meeting place: HBF, track No. 28, in front of the Radius Tours office. (the train leaves from one of tracks 27-36)

Everyone is encouraged to show up at the provided time as the 7:00 one is the only direct train in the morning.

See you tomorrow!

List of attendees

-----------------

1. Peter 496

2. Simpkins

3. ilmini35?

4. sxn?

In case you are not on the list but would like to come you should just show up in time at the meeting point.

Posted

I'll join as well :) a retarded question that I've got is...do I show up at the trainstation with the boots on my feet and the board in my hand or can I leave them somewhere?

Meeting time: Saturday, 12.01.2013, *6:30AM*

Meeting place: HBF, track No. 28, in front of the Radius Tours office. (the train leaves from one of tracks 27-36)

Everyone is encouraged to show up at the provided time as the 7:00 one is the only direct train in the morning.

See you tomorrow!

List of attendees

-----------------

1. Peter 496

2. Simpkins

3. ilmini35?

4. sxn

Posted

Awesome,

I would assume the boots are sort of stiff and not very comfortable to walk in. However its your call. I am certain there will be lockers we can use, so putting street shoes / bags there should be no problem.

Posted

Well, we have a few laughs, a few drinks, and more than a few spills

Great day, thanks Pete for organising.

Cheers

Simp

Posted

will there be another skiing day trip?

Posted

Hi,

I`m new here, and would be very interested in going skiing with a few people - havent been at all this season :-( - so if another skiing , trip is planned I`d love to come, too.

Maybe this weekend or next?

Posted

would anyone want to go this saturday?!

Posted

hey everyone, me going to GaPa this Sun for some fresh powder therapie:) i am intermediate border and won't mind the company of skiers as well :D