Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Choosing cupboard for clothes

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi TTers,

I am in the process of choosing a big clothes cupboard at least 270 cm long. I have never had a sliding door one before and wonder if it is hard to build and especially rebuild it when moving.

Is it possible to rebuild it yourself? Has anyone experienced problems with it? What are the pros and cons when it comes to building and rebuilding it? Sliding door ones are popular these days but looking at the heavy huge doors I am thinking it must be tedious when moving.

It would be great if someone could share their experiences. Any experience with a massive wood sliding door one?

post-137908-13573803905286_thumb.jpg

post-137908-13573805927628.jpg

Posted

The one on top is going to be a cast-iron bitch to disassemble, transport, and reassemble during a move. If you expect to relocate frequently, I'd stay away from that one.

Another obvious disadvantage of sliding doors is that you can only have one half open at a time.

Posted

I had a really expensive sliding door one and will never do that again. It occasionally went off the track and since the doors were so huge and heavy it took me and another person to put it back on track so that I could open/close it. More often fallen items (a sock, a scarf, a button) got caught in the track under the door, causing a jam. The main advantage to the sliding doors was that they didn't take extra space to open, but my room was always big enough that that wasn't really an issue. Last year I ditched the sliding door Schrank for a wall of the kind that open out and find that I much prefer the new one.

Posted

I've always had hinged, and have been lusting after sliding door since my sister got one a year ago. Space is very tight at my place, so sliding would be better. But... for moving, they're a *huge* PIA.

Posted

I can highly recommend Ikea wardrobes we disassembled and moved 4 wardrobes by ourselves and then re assembled them back in a new configuration (one was converted to draws and one to a split level and even though mr bought them 10 years ago the bits were still available in Ikea, they are not sliding doors mind you but Ive had sliding before and they were a bitch.

<-@

Posted

Thank you for sharing your experiences. :) I think I will rather choose a hinged door one than a sliding door one considering the moving in the future.

Posted

I could have written the same as liebling. Another advantage of normal doors is that you can mount a small towel rack to the inside and use it for belts or ties.

Posted

Yup, sliding doors are a bitch. But I was also careful when buying our schrank about the handles on the hinged door - I refused to have those ones where you have to turn a little key. Those annoy the crap out of me. Sliding doors also get jammed too easily when a sock or something falls onto the tracks.

Posted

I like doors that I can open and close - you can always reach everything in the wardrobe quite easily - with sliding doors, you tend to get a "blind spot" in the middle that can be difficult to reach.

I have a six-door wardrobe which houses everything from christmas wrapping paper to my work uniform, to suitcases.

One thing I would recommend though is that if you are going to have a wardrobe with several doors, have at least two of them opening from a central point - then you can put really big things into it too!

Posted

Wow, I've had just the opposite experience as most here. My son's new sliding door closet hasn't given me a problem yet, although I haven't disassembled and moved with it. I did set it up originally by myself.

I've got something very similar to the one in the OP's bottom picture and that is a pain to reassemble. It's made of a dozen pieces that are about the same size as the doors and you have to put it together like a house of cards before you can set a screw in (or have two people helping you). The one on the bottom is also a pain with altbau or American houses. If the floors are a bit uneven, the doors aren't going to line up because each piece of the floor (of the schrank) is only as long as two doors. I had to use a lot of shims underneath mine when I set it up in the States.

Posted

Hello All,

I have just finished assembling my Ikea sliding doors 2 wardrobes. The single panes are quite easy and I do believe they can be disassembled easily. However the 8 pane version (I got the mirror version) were a major pain to assemble. It took me 10h to assemble 10 pcs of kitchen cabinet and it took 2 of us 3h just for the doors.

36 set of instruction!

That was not fun.

As for regular doors, you need to be carefull that the cabinet is attached to the wall or the weight of the door could topple the wardrobe over if it is too narrow.