Car or no car in Munich?

19 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,

We are coming over in March, and have been considering not owning a car! We have heard such good things about the public transport, what do you ladies and gents think?

I use my car all the time in the UK, for going to playgroups, softplay, baby classes, shopping etc! It's such an important part of my life, I just can't imagine living without it!

Thank you very much for your help!

Posted

This has been discussed at length (a quick search will reveal all), but with a mix of public transport and carsharing there's no point at all in owning a car in Munich.

Posted

Since you do not know yet which part of Munich you will be moving to no one can really make your decision on owning a car. It's not just a question of mobility, it's also a question of where to put it when it's not moving.

Posted

I'm making the same experiment. I live in munich, within the Mittlerer Ring and with a mixture of public transport, www.zebramobil.de and www.drive-now.de i don't need a car anymore. Oh yes, don't forget the bicycle and www.callabike.de

As it was pointed out location is important, and if you plan to live outside munich...well, that's a completely different story.

Posted

I've lived here in Munich since 2000. I have the right to a company car and gas card (includes insurance and mileage) through my emoployer but still haven't needed one, not even having married and reproduced and moved to the suburbs (while still within "Munich" proper). On the occasion where a car really is needed* I rent for the day or week; Traumcar München have been awesome, often sending a note to tell me that XYZ fare would've been cheaper so they changed the paperwork to that and have returned the difference via Überweisung that I should see in my account within two days.

* Who has a large car and wants to day-trip to Metro and Euro-Industrie-Park?

woof.

Posted

I live within the Mitlererring and have a car which I only use occasionally. And my conclusion is:

- - "you do not need a car in the city. But sometimes it's really nice to have one!"

The times I use my car in town are definately non-essential. But great for chauffeuring the kids around.

Car Bad points

• Crossing Town
  • Rush hour traffic jams.
  • Parking often impossible

Car Good points

• Round the fringes. (No ring train lines)
  • Heavy shopping. Multiple passengers.

Some people fear cycling in all weathers. Just get the right gear and it's easy, and well worhwhile. No parking problems. No traffic jams. No train delays. Cheap. Healthy.

Plan your regular trips around bikes and public transport. The money you save not having a car can be spent on taxis or car sharing.

Posted

I've been here 7 years. I no longer have one but I really miss it. We recently moved and whilst carsharing worked out well for us in our old place, it's crap where we are now. We have to get the Ubahn or a bus to find one. Not every area of the city is good for Stadt Auto etc...plus long distance is not very economical. Also, I miss the flexibility of being able to just go somewhere and not have to find a car. Public transport is great in the city but if you want to go on day trips or weekends away then I think it'd be great to have our own car. With kids in tow and the sheer amount of stuff they need the train would be more difficult also a car would be great for a weekly shop. As you are from the UK you are going to have a shock when you experience the crapness that is city center supermarkets. The out of town ones like V-Markt are at least a bit better.

Posted

We're in Isarvorstadt too, but we find carsharing with STATTAUTO works just fine. Our nearest location is a 12 minute walk away, which is about where we'd be able to find parking anyway if we had a car. Plus the Parkraumquartier business with Flinkster works out nicely, that's often closer than the actual STATTAUTO cars, but there's only one car in our section.

Posted

Ostbahnhof is out of town now :blink:

Posted

Thank you so much for all your answers!

My husband had mentioned the car sharing to me before! We would ideally live somewhere inside the ring.

I do love just getting in the car and going, but am willing to give the public transport and car sharing a try. I also have a bike and trailer for the kids so if the place is very bike friendly, I would love to venture out. As someone mentioned above, there is a lot of stuff to cart around...but I might wait a few months and see how it goes.

I guess we could use the Carshare service for the shop (or taxis) and rent a car for weekends away!?

Is the public transport buggy friendly? I have a double (wide) buggy, will that be an issue at all?

Many thanks for all your help

Posted

Thank you for joining Toytown Germany, a forum that answers a plethora of questions any ex-pat might have. The Search function (top right of your monitor) is invaluable for finding such questions and answers. Do not hesitate to use it, make yourself familiar with the other features of the forum, enjoy your stay in Germany.

Posted

Buggies always seem to give the parents problems on crowded busses and the plethora of escalators compared to say, a kiddy back-pack. How old and how many kids?

Posted

Two kids (see title)

Buggy talk = toddler/pre-school age

Edit: From another thread:

We have 2 children, a 7 month old and a 2 and a half years old!

Posted

A friend of mine purposely chose a new apartment near to a Stattauto (car sharing) location, in fact she's about 100m from it. As far as she is concerned, she has a choice of car or van available 24/7 and she only pays for a car when she actually uses one. It's a very good solution. She picks up a cabrio on a warm summer Sunday for a drive into the mountains, and small van when she has a lot of shopping to do. When she has visitors to stay she takes a small bus to ferry them round in. She can make a decision to travel somewhere at midnight and be on the road 10 minutes later.

Posted

That sounds ace yourshireLad :) Ian I do have a backpack (well, I have a few ) but I have a very big 8 month old and after a few hours I'm well and truly knackered! He enjoys being up there thou :) I do have that option if it comes to it, so stick my boy in it and my girl in the buggy ... But I still need a buggy lol! I'm not sure what driving on the other side would be like so that's a bit scary! Hubby is more well travelled and has no difficulty in swapping between the two :) Thanks a lot everyone :)

Posted

Wouldn't want to miss our car; it is excellent for shopping trips, driving to work when I just don't feel like taking the public transport and spontaneous weekend getaways. Necessity it is not, but it sure is very comfortable. Stattauto only pays off if you really drive little to nothing (<~10,000 km/year). Don't forget you would have to take your own two car seats for the kids as well every time you want to take them. The concern about parking is a very valid one; depending on where you end up living finding a spot can take a frustrating amount of time... I would 100% recommend owning your own car, especially if you can rent a place with a garage / parking spot.

Posted

I haven't updated my profile, I used to live in Isarvorstadt which was good for carsharing but we are at Nordfriedhof now. Still pretty central but absolutely crap for carsharing. We used to be able to get something short notice but that rarely works now. Having to get a couple of trains or walk to get a bus to get a car just seems to defeat the purpose. But anyways you could always see how it is where you end up then decide.

Posted

With kids those ages, if you've got the means for a car, I would do it. Life is complicated enough with two toddlers, why add more aggravation?

When they are out of buggy age, 4 or so, public transport becomes a very viable option. I haven't had a car since my son was four, and I use the train and Carsharing, and it's perfect for me. My live-in partner has a car, but he needs it because of work and since his kids live about an hour away. So luckily he does the big shopping and family day trips.

But if he didn't or can't, our local Carsharing group is perfect. And cheap, as it is non-profit. No monthly fees, a one-time €600 deposit, returnable if you leave the group. Renting a car costs 60 cents an hour (30 cents at night) plus 20-30 cents per km (less for long distances over 500 km). We have 22 cars available in our village, including a transporter and a 9-person bus. Everything is included, petrol, insurance, repairs, etc. so simple. I love it, obviously. It's called Vatersttener Autoteilen. But it's just for people who live in our village/suburb of Vaterstetten/Baldham, not Munich proper.

Posted

No car in the city is very very do-able. We have never owned a car here, and our kids were 7 months and 3 years when we arrived, and for the first year we commuted to kindergarten on the u-bahn every day (big kid walking, little one in a carrier). I would recommend avoiding taking a double buggy on the u-bahn at peak travel times, but otherwise it's not generally a problem to maneuver even a big buggy on the u-bahn. The stations are much much more wheelchair (and therefore buggy)-friendly than in London, for example. Elevators in every station I have ever used.

With a central location and a bike trailer, you won't need a car in town. There will be times when you might wish you had one (getting supplies home from OBI (like B&Q) or Ikea, for example, but they both deliver), but there is always, as someone mentioned, the issue of where to put the car when you're not using it. Street parking in a lot of areas is limited, and not all apartment buildings have enough spaces in their garages to allow for one car per apartment. You have to think about the additional cost of renting a garage (the apartment rent might not cover it) and whether your car will even fit in the allotted space. A lot of underground garages here are split level (I had never seen these before we moved here - do a google image search of duplex stellplatz) so cars over a certain height or length won't fit in them.