No more health insurance cover outside Europe

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Good piece of information John - thanks!

If we need "supplementary private travel insurance", where would be the best place to get it?

Personally, I have ADAC Auslandkrankenversicherung - do you have any better recommendation?

Posted

I used ADAC back in the days when a lot of other companies wouldn't insure me when I traveled back to my country of citizenship, but since they changed the rules we now go with R + V Versicherung for family health insurance outside the EU.

I don't think our public insurer ever offered worldwide travel insurance, they always referred us to a partner company.

Posted

ADAC is good, robinson. So are many others..the question is: how LONG are you/people in general going to be abroad? ADAC covers for up to 6 weeks per trip ( I believe..without checking ) and I´m not sure ( without checking) if that is per year in total...

The main thing: IF you are going anywhere for any length of time: check what you have..is it up to date? Is it enough? What about if you are going off on a trip for three months and including the US, for example? Does it include your new born baby ( example) ?. It is important to update your insurances, your knowledge etc.

I remember a year or two ago reading about a young English guy who´d been in an accident in New Zealand whilst on holiday and his family were trying to raise money to get him repatriated..I think the sum was 25,000 pounds or something.

Basically, there is no exact answer: it´s case by case but always check before travelling..

( Written by a guy who hitchhiked for seven years around the world without health insurance, without caring, without even knowing what it was!!! :D )..but you never know...and, anyway, these days, some countries won´t let you in without travel insurance!!!

Posted

I don´t travel much darling, so six weeks is like a lifetime to me! :D

(still not sure how I ended up here!)

Posted

- is that meant to be a hint John?

Posted

Indeed, rob! First came the thought, the idea, the dream..then the travel agent´s!!! Or , in my case , sod it! Off I go!!! :D And take the Moody Blues´ Best Of with you!!! ( Blimey, I´m showing my age..before we know it, HEM will be along here!!! )

Posted

and I´m not sure ( without checking) if that is per year in total...

It's 45 days per trip with ADAC, with multiple trips allowed, the count starting with the crossing of the border.

However ADAC reserves the right to cancel the insurance after a (covered) damage event has occured.