Animal rights activists

92 posts in this topic

Posted

Well, today I went to the circus with my daughter... She loved it!

When we came out, there were several folks demonstrating agains animal mis-treatment...

I immediately thought that they were talking shite...

Where on earth can an elephant, 3 laama and 4 seals find a job in Frankfurt..???

Fucking clowns! :ph34r:

Posted

Fuck them. The circus goes by every rule in the activists books to keep the animals safe. Sometimes however, like anything else things go wrong. I love animals and have a few of my own.

Edit: and who doesn't need a job these days?

Posted

Personally, I think we should respect all life. Kick an animal and it's a short step to kicking a person. As we are the most intelligent animal, then we should be respectful of all the rest of the world - not just animals but the environment at large. After all, we are part of it. Anything else would be what the Germans call Nestbeschmutzung. Fouling your own nest.

Circuses are difficult. There are some animals that don't mind performing and others that do. On the one hand, there are circuses that do not take good care of the animals in their charge and just exploit them without any thought of their comfort. On the other hand, even the circuses that badly treat animals could be a motivation for young people to get interested in animal welfare and nature conservation.

The same thing goes with zoos. Some are terrible (like the one I saw in Sendai, Japan - lots of concrete and bored and hence distressed animals). Some have changed to be more 'artgerecht' or species-appropriate. And they also breed animals to return them to the wild.

I know that it was thanks to zoos and circuses that helped to my huge interest in animals as a child.

Posted

Well, today I went to the circus with my daughter... She loved it!

Bit behind the times aren't you SP? Circuses with animals are becoming ever rarer, due to the fact that 'we', as western europeans are rather more enlightened than the backwards scum that inhabit 80% of the rest of the planet and have come to accept that using animals purely for entertainment is the sort of thing that our grandparents and other forebears used to do, along with referring to black people as fuzzy wuzzies and gay people as fairies.

Fuck them. The circus goes by every rule in the activists books to keep the animals safe.

You're right about them being 'safe', a cage that is not much bigger than the animal it imprisons doesn't usually allow them to get in to any scrapes such as those they might get involved with in the wild, like eating trees out in the wild or hunting smaller prey in the jungle..

Posted

Actully Chocky, there was just 1, 2 minute routine with Ponys..

The rest was all Human Acts..

Posted

Actully Chocky, there was just 1, 2 minute routine with Ponys..The rest was all Human Acts..

Hasn't there recently been a law passed banning that sort of thing in Germany?

Posted

Why do you think people think these views are strange? Those are exactly my views and pretty much how most people I know feel as well.

Posted

Its a Plain Bullshit hypocrisy...When a non-vegetarian talks about animal right. Human can kill them and eat them but cant stand them treated badly..common..

As Vegetarian...I can rant about it ;)

GoGreen

Posted

Its a Plain Bullshit hypocrisy...When a non-vegetarian talks about animal right. Human can kill them and eat them but cant stand them treated badly..common..

As Vegetarian...I can rant about it

GoGreen

Vegetarian or Vegan?

As a vegetarian and not a vegan that is massive hypocrisy.

Posted

Why do you think people think these views are strange? Those are exactly my views and pretty much how most people I know feel as well.

Because a lot of people are muppets look at the post below yours.

Posted

Lot of nonsense written about circus animals. Anyone remember Billy Smart's Circus on the telly at Christmas yonks ago?

Turns out an old school mate of mine is none other than his grandson and now works with a circus down in Sicily. He kept it under his hat in school as Billy Smart was huge back in the day.

Here he is performing with his horses:

He adores his animals and wouldn't harm them in any way. If you want to campaign about animal cruelty, check out this blog post of mine where I Google earthed where Michael Pollan says intensive beef is reared:

http://iamrogertheshrubber.wordpress.com/2010/11/14/following-michael-pollans-omnivores-dilemma-with-google-earth/

If you are going to save" animals better to save THOUSANDS from a feedlot as opposed to six well cared for, polished and well-loved beats!

Posted

Hasn't there recently been a law passed banning that sort of thing in Germany?

Only if it lasts more than 2 minutes.

Posted

polished and well-loved beats!

Shouldn't that be on one of the music threads?