Replacing a cracked cooking hob in rental flat

40 posts in this topic

Posted

Over Christmas I managed to drop a metal lid onto my ceramic hob and crack the glass. If anyone knows where I can get a cheap relacement I would be most grateful. I've already checked out ebay and quoka but so far nothing.

It's 59cm x 50cm and the dials are actually attached to the oven bit.

It looks like this:

https://picasaweb.google.com/117368770921544145244/30Dezember2012?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCK6hu_ung8K9zQE&feat=directlink

Posted

If you have a Hausratversicherung, they may replace the thing. I know that my ceramic stove is covered with ours along with broken windows, etc.

Worth checking into if you have it.

Posted

Yes, definitely check your insurance to see if Glasversicherung is included. We broke our cooktop twice and after the first time we took out glass insurance and they paid for the second one.

I can't remember exactly where we ordered our replacements from, but here's an example of the type of thing you need to look for - ersatzteil-onlineshop.de. You can also usually order something like that through a local appliance shop.

Posted

do you think my Haftpflichversicherung will cover it? I'm renting a place that came with a kitchen so it's not actually my kitchen, but that of the landlord...

PS: thanks for the link :) :)

Posted

I don't think Haftplicht would cover it, but perhaps your landlord's Hausratversicherung would? Have you contacted him/her yet?

Posted

do you think my Haftpflichversicherung will cover it?

Yes, if it also covers Mietschäden.

Posted

@PandaMunich:- I believe it does so fingers crossed tomorrow will be a good day! I know they will tell me what the procedure is, but I have never claimed on any of the many insurances I've had/ have, so if they say it's covered and the excess is reasonable (can't remember what excess I have) do I need to do the donkey work and get quotes myself, or do they just send someone round to replace it?

Posted

If I were you I would phone your Haftpflichtversicherung and ask them their exact procedure and also to confirm that this Schaden is covered by your Haftpflichtversicherung (it doesn't hurt to get extra confirmation).

Don't forget to ask that person's name on the phone (ask him/her to spell it out - Könnten Sie Ihren Namen bitte buchstabieren? - that way they will know you are taking notes) and to jot down the pertinent parts of the conversation.

Usually, you just get a Handwerker to repair it, you pay him and then submit his bill to the insurance.

Posted

thanks PandaMunich.

will update all when I have news.

Posted

well the bad news is that my Haftpflicht EXCLUDES glass!!!So no ceramic hob, no windows, no glass in the bathroom... nix, nada, nowt!!

Posted

Thought so. I think Glasversicherung is almost always extra. It wasn't included in any of our insurances and we finally decided to get it after a couple of expensive breakages.

Posted

Yes, the extra few Euros a year for glass paid off when my son was here and kicking his soccer ball through windows. Also, when our living room window blew closed from the wind and shattered.

Posted

I can understand Hausratversicherung excluding glass, but not Haftpflicht. What's going to happen if you kid kicks a football through someone's window? Assuming your Haftpflicht covers rental property (most do) that should cover it. Are you sure you checked with the right insurance?

Posted

Actually, it was our Haftpflicht that covered the office window my son broke - both times.

We had extra glass coverage with our Hausratsv. which took care or our windows and covered our ceramic stove top.

Posted

thanks for the link westvan... I'm now thinking Hausrat is the next insurance I need to get... or a glass top up insurance.

I just get the feeling though that I can insure everything... life, car, glass, contents, liability, legal, health etc etc and the one time I then need it, the small print will exclude that one reason!

Posted

PS I'm still looking for a replacement ceramic hob/ stove top!!! If anyone knows of an electrician who can get it replaced for 'cheap' then I am still very interested!

Posted

Getting glass insurance was worth it for us. Two incidents so far where they paid up no problem.

If you give them the model number, any electrical or appliance place can probably order the part for you and install it, but I wouldn't expect to get a deal.

Posted

This Wer Weiss Was thread offers an explanation.

Glasbruch Mietwohnung welche Versicherung?

That explanation is neither clear nor comparable. A door being broken as a result of a blast of air, is difficult to attribute to carelessness, so would normally be covered by glass insurance, should the tenant have it. Dropping an object on a ceramic hob owned by someone else and breaking it is clearly carelessness, so should be covered by Haftpflicht/liability insurance, if, of course rented property is covered in the policy.

Posted

That explanation is neither clear nor comparable. A door being broken as a result of a blast of air, is difficult to attribute to carelessness, so would normally be covered by glass insurance, should the tenant have it. Dropping an object on a ceramic hob owned by someone else and breaking it is clearly carelessness, so should be covered by Haftpflicht/liability insurance, if, of course rented property is covered in the policy.

Good points there, YorkshireLad6!

A friend of mine had a visitor at his weekend place about years ago and there was a gas explosion. Both of them ended up in hospital. The reports showed my friend was not to blame so his Haftpflicht didn´t HAVE to pay out a claim. They did, though, as he´d been with the insurance company for many years without any previous claims and the reason given was " aus Kulanz ".

An interesting point about Hausrat: in a good, modern, inclusive policy, even negligence ( eg leaving the window open while you pop out to buy a carton of milk ) can be covered ( normally up to 5,000 euros or so ). This is NOT in all policies so it´s worth checking. The words to look for are " Verzicht auf den Einwand der groben Fahrlässigkeit ).

Posted

The OP's Haftpflicht apparently exludes glass. Lesson learned. End of story.

More worrying, I suspect the OP's insurance excludes all rented property. That's not a good thing as it excludes anything in his home if he is careless enough to damage it by accident - scratched enamel in the bath or shower, damage parquet floor, glass in doors, windows, etc., all of which can be expensive to repair/replace.

Posted

No my Haftpflicht insurance definitely covers Mietschaden... with the exclusion of glass.

Posted

Getting glass insurance was worth it for us. Two incidents so far where they paid up no problem.

If you give them the model number, any electrical or appliance place can probably order the part for you and install it, but I wouldn't expect to get a deal.

that's the biggest problem I have... I don't know the model number... only the model number of the oven bit underneath... and even Whirlpool customer services in the UK, Germany and Austria were unable to tell me which replacement hobs are compatible for the oven!!!

I'm just glad I can still use 3 of the 4 burners!!