Best countries to retire to

117 posts in this topic

Posted

Many of us TTers are approaching retirement age, or are already there. I've got four years to go, and am already mulling over a new relocation. I don't want to stay in Germany; mostly because of the winters. I hate the cold!

I also have to consider my disabled husband. He'd like to come out of residential nursing care, so I need a country where I could live in a big enough house as well as afford live-in carers. He'll go anywhere I go.

I'd dearly love to retire to a nice warm 3rd world country as I like the laid-back mentality, but unfortunately the two that would be the most obvious, my first choices, won't work.

India: despite what the movie Best Exotic Marigold Hotel would have you believe, it's not possible to retire to India. India does not issue visas beyond 6 months, except to Americans (don't ask me why THEY get the exception) and I have no intention of border-hopping every six months; especially now that they want you to stay away for two months before you return.

Guyana: I love my home country, truly. But unless they clean up the city and restore law and order I'm not going to live there.

Next down on my list is Trinidad. I know the country fairly well, have lovely relatives there, it has beautiful beaches, and is a thriving, modern society as well as an easy-going Caribbean island. It's the best of both worlds, really, and I'd be near to Guyana, in case my mum lives to well beyond 100.

And then there are the countries I've never been to, but I've heard praised as retirement havens.

Today I read about Malaysia. Never been there, always wanted to go, and it soundsas if it's great for retirement.

Any other ideas? Thailand, Indonesia? Who's been there, and what's it like? Who's planning on staying in Germany, and why? Or will you go back to your country of origin?

Posted

Arent there any 2nd world countries you would like to try?

Posted

I think both Trinidad and Malaysia qualify as 2nd World, SP. I didn't say EXCLUSIVELY. Just warm. That's the main condition. I'd also consider Australia, New Zealand.

Posted

They disappeared when the Iron Curtain fell, Spider!

Well, arunadasi..the choice is getting harder..prices are going up everywhere if you´re on a small pension. We ( my Nicole and I ) want warm weather ( mostly ), NO big cities anywhere...visa problems ( surprised what you wrote about for India ), no crime ( or little )..where is there these days?

Indonesia? Don´t think you can get a permanent visa, either, though it´s corrupt enough for you to " encourage " the right official...

Anywhere in Africa, I wonder?

Posted

I have been reading a lot lately about retirement in Thailand and Malaysia. Cheap housing, good life style and excellent medical care.

Himself and I are considering a few years on a catamaran in Thailand.

Posted

They disappeared when the Iron Curtain fell, Spider!

Well, arunadasi..the choice is getting harder..prices are going up everywhere if you´re on a small pension.

Anywhere in Africa, I wonder?

I was shocked at the price of food in Guyana. No kidding, it was as expensive as Germany. Unlike India, which is still cheap. ANd price of living is an important consideration.

I've heard Tanzania is really nice.But I'm not attracted to Africa, in spite of being ethnically part African. For me it's Asia or Caribbean/South America.

Ecuador, btw, is wonderful.

But Malaysia seems to be deliberately trying hard to attract retirees. I'm seriously going go consider it.

Posted

I don't know anything about Trinidad and Malaysia but Australia and NZ aren't exactly cheap enough for "a big enough house as well as ... live-in carers" A lot of Americans go to Mexico, Costa Rica and Nicaragua - cheap and warm and, at the moment, fairly stable. Domestic help is cheap. I'm the same age as you and have been in Germany 2 1/2 years. My German wife was in the US for 17 years and then after we were married for 12 years she decided to come back here to work so I'm sort of stuck here. At least its not the worst place to be. But check out the South American countries besides the 3 I listed.

Posted

They disappeared when the Iron Curtain fell,

I totally forgot the meaning of 2nd world!

]

Posted

I don't know anything about Trinidad and Malaysia but Australia and NZ aren't exactly cheap enough for "a big enough house as well as ... live-in carers" A lot of Americans go to Mexico, Costa Rica and Nicaragua - cheap and warm and, at the moment, fairly stable. Domestic help is cheap. I'm the same age as you and have been in Germany 2 1/2 years. My German wife was in the US for 17 years and then after we were married for 12 years she decided to come back here to work so I'm sort of stuck here. At least its not the worst place to be. But check out the South American countries besides the 3 I listed.

I've been to most South American countries, and for me Ecuador is the best. Yet still, I think it's not for me again. I'd recommend it, however.

Posted

Hmmm. I better not complain too much to my wife about Germany or I'll end up sent to Slovakia, or worse, back to Obamaland.

Posted

Wow. Just wow.

Someone sent me that on the daily mail today and I dismissed it as the usual nonsense.

Not a word of it is true, of course, and I can't believe it has spread to more reputable newspapers!

It's disgusting. Words fail me.

Posted

I'm a big fan of Uruguay and Namibia. Tanzania follows shortly after that. No humid countries like Thailand and Malaysia for me.

Posted

I know of a couple from the UK (the guy says he was in same school class as I but TBH I don't remember - but then I don't remember most of my school "companions").

Anyhow, it turns out that this guy (& his wife, no kids) has been living in Germany for 30 odd years and for retirement they have built a home near Valencia in Spain. He took early retirement and "managed" the building project whilst his wife still works. They prepared for the move over a number of years (learning the language) but more than that I dunno...

Posted

... And then we'll all come running to John for international health insurance!

Posted

India has the best food. That's important isn't it???

Posted

Think long and hard about all the consequences and problems that will arise in a foreign country.

Will you be entitled to free healthcare is a big question.

When we looked into semi retirement to New Zealand three years ago, we had to deposit £750,000 in Government bonds and not touch them for four years.

Good luck and send us a postcard.

Posted

Actually, I am surprised that India doesn´t issue visas for longer than six months - though having read Aqua Mini's recent postings, I think I might give it a miss anyway!

The South of Spain has a lot of English-speaking retirees living on the coastline - not sure I could pick up the language, or any other, for that matter when I am old enough to retire - German was difficult enough!

Edit: off topic a little bit here, but if the "second world" countries ceased to be second world after the Iron Curtain fell, what are they now - "first" or "third" world?

Posted

I would never expect to be entitled to free health care, Hooper.

It is reasonable in some countries that want to attract retirees.

Posted

India does not issue visas beyond 6 months, except to Americans (don't ask me why THEY get the exception)

Are you sure about that? I understood that US citizens can get a 10 year tourist or business visa but the stay cannot exceed 180 days. In any case, the reasons that the citizens of some countries have different rules than others is their governments negotiated those visa requirements with the Indian government. You should be asking why your country did not negotiate something better rather than asking why others have a better deal than you do.

Posted

Actually, I am surprised that India doesn´t issue visas for longer than six months - though having read Aqua Mini's recent postings, I think I might give it a miss anyway!

d?

I know, it's strange, since it would mean a lot of foreign revenue and tax, as well as jobs for local Indians as house employees, carers etc. The best way around it is to marry an Indian. Then you can get a PIO visa: People of Indian Origin. All second generation ethnic Indians living abroad and their families get that. Unfortintaely, too late for me.

Posted

... And then we'll all come running to John for international health insurance!

We´re all looking for a perfect solution! Part 1: YOU and I both had it because we are of the same generation and we both travelled for years and years around the world! NOW we have to work!!

Perfect solution: part 2!

I remember in the 80´s being on the Dominican Republic and I met an American with a briefcase full of US dollars..I mean FULL! He spent his time checking out the dollar rate v. other currencies in the Caribbean and Latin America, did the transactions in back alleys, made some profit and travelled to the next destination.

I was in a cheap pensión - and so was he - and he found out I spoke Spanish - and, against my better judgement ( because he had bought me breakfast and I didn´t have much money ), I accompanied him to a building. Second floor..empty..three local guys and us..he argued with them ( I translated and feared for my life because they were shady )..finally, they agreed to pay x amount for 40,000 dollars and the deal was done ). The American took me to a restaurant for a meal. Back to the pensión and I needed a sleep ( can´t remember why ).

The American banged on my door.. " I´ve left my fucking briefcase in the restaurant!!). We went there - and, amazingly enough, when asked, the owner said " ah, yes, we found it here "...it was missing a few thousand but I persuaded the American to leave it at that! That was enough stress for one day...

Ok, how about Greece? :)

Posted

Are you sure about that? I understood that US citizens can get a 10 year tourist or business visa but the stay cannot exceed 180 days. In any case, the reasons that the citizens of some countries have different rules than others is their governments negotiated those visa requirements with the Indian government. You should be asking why your country did not negotiate something better rather than asking why others have a better deal than you do.

I have indeed asked that question, and I don't know the answer. Guyana should really negotiate such a deal, as we have so many ethnic Indians whom don't qualify for the PIO as they are third or fourth or more generation.

Posted

The South of Spain has a lot of English-speaking retirees living on the coastline - not sure I could pick up the language, or any other, for that matter when I am old enough to retire - German was difficult enough!

Edit: off topic a little bit here, but if the "second world" countries ceased to be second world after the Iron Curtain fell, what are they now - "first" or "third" world?

Re your edit, Rob! They´re EU now!!! :D

Posted

Canary Islands? Plenty of Brits there. And I thought that the cost of living was pretty cheap, but then I live in California. Warm, but you probably don't want to retire here. B)

Spanish is one of the easiest languages to learn, IMO. How about Portugal/ Azores? Food is FABULOUS in Spain [and Portugal], but I'm a tad biased.