Shocking - Student's tongue lacerated in Bonn

36 posts in this topic

Posted

Friends,

I just came to red this news in Spiegel and very disturbing to know that,

An Indian student in bonn has been asked to convert to Islam and after he denied his tongue has been cut off by them.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/indian-student-in-bonn-has-tongue-cut-in-possible-religious-attack-a-874842.html

be careful while going out during night times..

I dont know how to react to his,

Very shocking to me.

Posted

His tongue was lacerated - not cut off. Treated and released at the hospital.

Posted

Friends,

I just came to red this news in Spiegel and very disturbing to know that,

An Indian student in bonn has been asked to convert to Islam and after he denied his tongue has been cut off by them.

http://www.spiegel.d...k-a-874842.html

be careful while going out during night times..

I dont know how to react to his,

Very shocking to me.

help_me_out,

I would caution you not to allow such reports to make you nervous or anxious about living in Germany. Of course, bad things may, can, and sometimes do, happen here just as happens all over the globe, but bear in mind that there are also other (market) forces at work too.

Typical of 'journalists' whose intent is to maximise the 'click-rate' of the product they are paid to write for, (see TehLokal), the report in Spiegel online was clearly intended to highlight the most disturbing and shocking aspects of this incident. Therefore it is quite understandable that readers may have been affected in the way you were, but (as fraufruit hinted) by inadvertently inflating the horror aspect of their sloppy reporting you run the risk of feeding the flames of fear-based xenophobia.

According to the report you linked to in the Spiegel:

He described the perpetrators as having long beards but no moustaches, a style often preferred by Salafists.

Please note the use of plurals and the broad hint in the direction of the 'anti-flavour of the year' group. The report makes no mention of any official police spokesman by name, but suggests their information came directly 'from the horses mouth'. The report ends with (is accredited to) a Spiegel reporter's 3 letter monogram/wire services.

Many German Polizeipraesidium use their own internal PR departments to publicise crime reports, particularly when they are seeking information from the public. However the Bonner Polizei are amongst those forces who rely on an independent commercial agency, Presseportal, to issue their bulletins. Presseportal:Polizei Bonn released a police statement on this incident including the following paragraph, which contrasts significantly with the Spiegel's above quoted 'precise' details.

Der junge Mann, der noch sehr stark unter dem Einfluss der Tat stand gab in seiner Vernehmung dass einer der mutmaßlichen Täter ca. 35 Jahre alt, ca. 180 cm groß und schlank ist. Er hat dunkle, lockige Haare mit grauen Haaransätzen, einen längeren Kinnbart und war dunkel gekleidet. Gemeinsam mit dem anderen mutmaßlichen Tatverdächtigen, der nicht weiter beschrieben werden konnte, stieg er nach der Tat in ein Auto und fuhr in Richtung-Poppelsdorf davon.

For those whose German doesn't stretch to seeing the difference I'll translate/paraphrase that.

The young man, who was questioned whilst still severely affected by the incident, described one of the alleged assailants as being ca. 35 years old, ca. 1.80 tall and slim. He had dark, curly hair with grey roots, a longer chin beard and was darkly clad. Together with the other suspected assailant, who could not be described further, he got into a car and drove away in the direction of Poppelsdorf after the incident.

Such fine nuances in detail may seem to be of minor consequence when considering the case of someone who has had their tongue cut, but (although the police find his story to be credible) there were no witnesses to the incident. Also the police in the Bonn region do have some (perhaps understandable) current grounds to be quite keen to discredit Islamists (or Salafists).

Far be it from me to defend any group of irrational fanatics, but IMO and IME the very idea that anyone would believe a passing stranger could be induced to convert by force runs contrary to the very teachings and contemporary practice of any religion known to me, no matter how extreme their followers. There would seem to be either a lot more or less to the story than the superficial Spiegel report would have us believe.

Keep calm and carry on.

2B

Posted

Keep calm and carry on.

2B

And keep your tongue in your mouth. Don't be a victim. Little "tongue in cheek" humour.

Getting my hat.....

Posted

@all thanks for the comments.

Indeed it happens everywhere across the globe. I am not complaining but only request others to be a little cautious while going out alone in dark.

@Mainz - Thanks for taking your time and explaining the situation.

Cheers! I am glad that the victim is safe now

Posted

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

All,

I am not sure how to behave with such incidents.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/indian-student-in-bonn-has-tongue-cut-in-possible-religious-attack-a-874842.html

Alright ... The past is past ... I was just searching for actions taken in last 3-4 days to prevent such crime, to identify the culprits. It seems like, its not a valuable news for german media.. They are busy in discussing about language issues, delayed berlin airport etc...

As Germans started allowing immigrants in to their lives long years before, today there is a big well grown, matured second level of Non-German society. Like any other country (except USA) -- here also Immigrants are always treated as immigrants(Aliens ??) . There is a need for a strong system to prevent the immigrant lives.

This is a clear act of vulgarity.. How do we prevent such things in future...? Do we have some system in place to harmonise the immigrant lives ?.. or cant we live withoug immigrants?

Time can answer some .. :) .. I would request some noble thoughts on this..

Posted

The report ends with (is accredited to) a Spiegel reporter's 3 letter monogram/wire services.

For reference: cgh is Charles Hawley. See here. Deputy chief of Spiegel International department.

Posted

Three things, not necessarily connected:

Bonn is said to be a Salafist stronghold, (I forgot his name, but there's a German ex-boxer living in Bonn who founded a rather radical sect), and it seems to be true. At least two mosques have/had alleged connections to Al Qaida members or supported their training. A lot of the salafists in Bonn are German converts, and most of the violent incidents were directed either at moderate muslims, members of neo-nazi groups or the police.

The street were it happened is in a not so nice neighbourhood. I think it's more likely that there is no "real salafist connection", they might just have looked for a reason to hurt him.

The relationship between muslims and indians seems to be conflicted, sometimes openly hostile. If this is a sad case of "I'm going to smash your face because I don't like it and I just feel like smashing face" (wouldn't be the first time in that neighbourhood) or if this really has a politcal background- nobody can tell. But things like that are fortunately rare enough to make first page news.

Posted

Just as a point of order, India has the world's second largest population of Muslims. Many Muslim as well as Christian, Jewish, Buddhist Indians

Posted

Yep it reminds me of New Jersey but cleaner.

Posted

@MadAxeMurderer:

Do you know why then? Some war in the past or another reason?

Posted

I hate to say this but I honestly feel this is part of the reason radicalism has become more prevelant the last 20 years. I remember being a bit worried about the Mosque burnings and the recipricol actions against Hindus in India during the 90s. The world has indeed gone mad when they fight over words.

Posted

Not many atheists in India. Nature abhors a vacumn so with 1G Indians there's plenty of room for all religions. As Pi said in the life of Pi, we Christian Hindus get to feel guilty in front of hundred's of Gods. Of course Panda above has the real answer.

Posted

Thanks for the link, Panda.

Posted

Hi Beuel, you obviously do not know the movie "Ghandi" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gandhi_(film) ). An absolute must. IMHO, one of the best movies ever.

Posted

@Beuel and @MadAxeMurderer - That's true. India does have a very large Muslim population - I'm not sure about the exact position (Wikipedia

says third largest). As many people might already know, the country is no stranger to religious tension which often erupts into violence -

1992, 1992/93, 2002, 1984 (an anti-Sikh pogrom).

And as Panda very correctly pointed out - independent India and Pakistan were born in bloodshed. Sadly, this just foreshadowed the decades

of mindless wars and political posturing that followed. There is a general ignorance of the recent history of the country in India (the ugly bits are

often glossed over). I recommend reading India After Gandhi by Ramachandra Guha and Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children and Shame

(if you haven't already). The last two are works of fiction but I learnt more about the country from them than I did at school.

Posted

The report also says that this isn't a fact, but something claimed by the Indian man referred to in the report. An Indian man claimed to have been set on fire by racists in Australia once, but it turned out he'd set himself alight trying to burn his car to fiddle insurance.

Obviously I'm not saying Indians are liars, only that sometimes there is another side to the story and that claims are not facts.

Posted

Thanks, George and anupam. I recall the anti Sikh riots, but I somehow lost track with the Yugoslav wars at the same time. I read about it before, but I didn't remember until I saw Panda's link.

Posted

I am from Glasgow.

You are three times more likely to to stabbed to death there than in any other city in Europe. :ph34r:

Germany is so bloody safe and law-abiding.

Posted

Not many atheists in India.

I'm curious.. Why do you say that? How many would qualify as many?

And what about the people who are Hindu Atheists?

As for the crime itself, well, perhaps we should not jump to conclusions until they find the criminals but to raise questions on the victim and his motives, for no reason, is very unkind. It is at this point indeed more likely than not, that his story is true, even if proved otherwise at a later stage.

Posted

I stand corrected, there are of course 100s of thousands of atheists in India. Still a rather small proportion. I say few atheists because Gods are to India what rain is to Ireland. Part of life's fabric.

Atheist Hindus??? Don't get the concept. Is that like vegetarian carnivores, honest lawyers, and dehydrated water?

Posted

Just as a point of order, India has the world's second largest population of Muslims. Many Muslim as well as Christian, Jewish, Buddhist Indians

India has the third largest Muslim population in the world, even at that they lose against Pakistan. The largest is in Indonesia.

Posted

And the largest Muslim population in the EU is in Marseilles. Or at least it used to be.

Posted

I stand corrected, there are of course 100s of thousands of atheists in India. Still a rather small proportion. I say few atheists because Gods are to India what rain is to Ireland. Part of life's fabric. Atheist Hindus??? Don't get the concept. Is that like vegetarian carnivores, honest lawyers, and dehydrated water?

Yeah its confusing. But its not like veggie carnivores or dehydrated water... maybe like ice though. In that it's water, but it's not.

Also not much use to you if you're dehydrated in Antarctica.

This deviates out from the thread but anyway, here's what I know about this -

Hinduism does not fit into the classic western concept of a religion. It does not require belief in the existence of a God. It also does not require one to be 'good'. Following the path of being good and believing the Hindu God(s) is however, supposedly, the easiest of all the ways to realise the truth. As such, there are many people (although I know only a few) who are Atheist but call themselves Hindu and observe many non-religious Hindu traditions/rituals.

Apart from that, there is also no provision for atheists in Indian administration to be identified as such. So most atheists, at least those who aren't Atheistic with a passion, simply register themselves as Hindu or some other religion.

So for the time being, there are very few atheists in India in the same way there are very few homosexuals in India.

Or perhaps simply because heterosexuality is part of life's fabric? ;)