German proof reading for job applications

14 posts in this topic

Posted

I emailed my local job centre asking if they can proof job applications/CVs/correspondence for German and had the following response:

da Sie kein Leistungsbezieher im JobCenter sind ist dies nicht möglich.

They recommended I get in touch with my local employment agency.

Has anyone any experience of this? How does TT ensure any German correspondence is proofed before it goes out?

Posted

I usually have a German native speaker look over my applications. I don't think the Agentur für Arbeit offers this service.

Posted

@Engelchen: As far as I understand the quote, they do, but they only offer this for people who are unemployed and either get ALG or Hartz.

Posted

Beuel, a friend of mine, who is an IT-Consultant had to use their service cause she lost her job. They do not proof read anything, they only set up appointments every four weeks and pressure the jobless applicants to practically take any job they think she/he should. Nothing helpful really.

Posted

Thanks, I just guessed what the quote meant. And Amtsdeutsch, Bewerbungssprache and Deutsch are three different languages anyway. I doubt they are able to understand a simple sentence.

Posted

Sounds simple enough to me - "we are an agency for the unemployed and those on job-seekers benefits, and as you are apparently neither, please feel free to bog off".

It a bit as if the OP trolled along to the Finanzamt and asked them to do his tax returns for him.

Posted

Not exactly trolling. They are meant to help people find employment, surely making sure submissions are grammatically correct helps?

Posted

Hi t07924,

This "da Sie kein Leistungsbezieher im JobCenter sind ist dies nicht möglich." means: As we do not pay you money right now, we cannot help you.

When I was unemployed (and got money from them every month), I asked them for support with my applications: They gave me a voucher for an external egancy specialized on polishing applications!

You know why? They wanted me to be off their wallet as soon as possible!

They have (limited) funds to do so, but they only invest these funds on those people that are on their "payroll".

As you are not on their payroll, they don´t spend money on you.

You haven´t written to much about your current situation, but the "jobcenter" is for those people that are on "Hartz IV" (getting those 345 € a month).

The "Agentur für Arbeit" is for those people that got unimployed recently (and get ca. 60% of the last "Nettogehalt" paid by them).

Are you sure you went to to right place?

Cheers

Franklan

Posted

Not exactly trolling. They are meant to help people find employment, surely making sure submissions are grammatically correct helps?

They are meant to help unemployed people find employment, the definition of which is people registered with them as looking for a job and/or receiving benefits. As they implied in their mail, they would help you if you were either of those, but apparently youre not.

There are two options for you - Register with them as a job-seeker and then they will proof-read your application, or (a much much better solution) find a professional "Bewerbungsberater", invest the money and get them to proof read (or more likely completely re-write) your application.

Posted

I could help, if anyone is interested. I am a native speaker, study German and have at least some experience in writing applications. And I have more experience in Amtsdeutsch than I would like ;-)

Posted

Just a random thought: isn't sending a grammatically perfect letter to a prospective employer when you weren't capable of writing it (neither am I by the way) a little bit similar to putting a fake picture of a hunk on a dating site? Just as the hotties that setup dates with the non-hunk would be disappointed, so would an employer in an interview. A bit of fake advertising.

Posted

I don't think the Agentur für Arbeit offers this service.

OP is under 25 according to profile and hence eligible for the Agentur's U25 Bewerberseminare.

Infos at the local Agentur's BIZ center.

Just as the hotties that setup dates with the non-hunk

Hotties on dating sites?

Posted

Just a random thought: isn't sending a grammatically perfect letter to a prospective employer when you weren't capable of writing it (neither am I by the way) a little bit similar to putting a fake picture of a hunk on a dating site? Just as the hotties that setup dates with the non-hunk would be disappointed, so would an employer in an interview. A bit of fake advertising.

I don't think so unless you aren't honest with the section for languages spoken about your level of ability. Completely fluent German may not be necessary for every job, but may be what is needed to get past HR. No HR person will let you get as far as an interview though if you are dumb enough to send an uncorrected CV.