How to make my computer or DVD player region free

33 posts in this topic

Posted

I bought a season of How I Met Your Mother from amazon.de so that it would be in German. When I put it in my computer it would only allow it to be played in English and then in my DVD player it said something about the region or area code, what can I do to play it? When I put it in a friends computer something popped up that again said wrong area/region code and that it could hack it and fix it, would that work or would that be bad?

Posted

Actually I don't think it was a hack, but what I found out to be a region code switch.

Posted

Download VLC Media player onto your computer. It will play any sort of DVD regardless of region. That's what I use, and I have never had an issue. I also do have a DVD player that plays all sorts of DVDs regardless of region.

Posted

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/devmgr_changing_dvd_settings.mspx?mfr=true

Posted

Forget changing/screwing with DVD region settings (Which can become permanent after so many tries)

As mentioned, if you want to play it on a computer just download and install VLC and never worry about DVD playing again.

Posted

Thanks, is VLC safe with no viruses or anything?

Posted

Yes It is very safe. I have been using it for years.

You can download it from THIS website. I go here for all my software downloads, because it is a site that I trust and I have never downloaded anything with a virus from this site.

With VLC you will never have to worry about stupid region codes on DVD's again. It plays EVERYTHING.

Posted

"using it for years" does not mean it's safe. It just means you didn't notice anything.

Posted

YES for ME, using it for years means it is safe. I do check my computer for viruses and do regular cleaning. After the numerous times I have done this, my computer is virus free so far.

Do you have anything useful to add, or are you just interested in posting something?

Posted

Yes, this is true...but some developers use this as well.

Also, it is best to read every step in download window and 'uncheck' unwanted items like '__' toolbar, '__' translator, make '__' my homepage, etc. Many people jusk click away...going through the steps without reading what they're accepting. My Wife has done this repeatedly...she just clicks away. Now she has me do all program downloads, so I can watch for this.

Cnet and Brothersoft are still safe to use, but like anything out there, one must pay attention and read the 'fine print'. Developer websites are often the best way to go.

Either way, VLC is a great player...I use it, and it does play everything.

Posted

Yes, this is true...but some developers use this as well.

Not the VLC Team :) and I haven't seen real developers bundle trojans/spyware with their software.

CNET has a history of re-wrapping others people software with these things.. Avoid them.

Posted

If you are in the US your region code would be 1. If you want to play "european" DVDs you'd need to switch it to 2.

How to change region codes (Windows) (close your media player and make sure there's no DVD in the player):

Click the "Start" button to load up the Start menu and right-click the "My Computer" (or "Computer") icon and select "Properties" from the pull-down menu.

Double-click the DVD/CD-ROM drive and right-click the DVD drive to bring up another pull-down menu. Select "Properties" once again.

Click the "DVD Region" tab and select "Region 2."Click "Apply," and the DVD region is changed. You can now use Windows Media Player to watch Region 2 DVDs.

(Just buying things from amazon.de doesn't mean German soundtrack is included ;)

Posted

FFS.. Just get VLC and never dick around with changing Region codes in Windows. (Changes are limited and become permanent after 3-5 changes)

Horrible Info, from the above poster.

Posted

VLC is usually really great, though I've had issues with a few 1080p videos (very choppy and laggy). Thought perhaps it was my computer's fault (it's 2 years old, so its specs etc. aren't cutting edge) but those HD files played beautifully on XBMC. But I would say that VLC meets 95%+ of my needs.

Posted

If you have lag/skipping problems with VLC, simply try adjusting the cache buffer and read ahead settings in the advanced Options Menu.

By default VLC only caches/reads 500-1000ms of data at a time. HD Video/Files require a larger cache as they is more data.

Posted

Hi DK - yes, I understand there's a fix. To be frank, when the issue first came up, I had had a bottle of wine and just wanted to watch the damn movie. Since I already had XBMC, I just tried that alternative first before drunkenly dicking around with settings. But yes - thank you, that is helpful info. :)

Posted

Sorry for the horrible suggestion. I've done it a few times, and nothing bad happened.

Posted

Thanks for all the responses, but when I went to download if from videolan.org it downloaded the installer but then when opened the installer it read "Unable to evaluate, error 1814"

Posted

Download it again.. It got corrupted during download