Broke my glasses on vacation - who pays?

21 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi there TTers,

I am currently on vacation in Malta. On Sunday, I slipped on the sidewalk, fell face-first, and smashed up my face (and my new glasses, less than a week old - at least the actual lenses can probably be rescued). The fall was bad enough that I was treated in the hospital after the incident and I was feeling bad enough that I went back to the hospital yesterday.

My question today: which insurance should I start petitioning for a new pair of glasses? I am insured by a public Kasse, but have private travel health insurance, and had a bad gut feeling at this trip before I even left, so I also got the basic package offered by FTI. Given that, well, my Hauptwohnsitz is in Germany, I have Haftpflicht, too. Alternately, I could just be out of luck, in which case I should be glad that my optician is a friend's mom who always makes me a deal. ; )

Thanks, and merry Christmas!

Posted

Your insurance won't pay for new glasses, because:

1) Your health insurance already paid for the fresh pair

2) Your Haftpflicht insurance is only for damage that you do to others

3) Your travel health insurance won't pay for glasses (existing condition)

Posted

Hi there TTers,

I am currently on vacation in Malta. On Sunday, I slipped on the sidewalk, fell face-first, and smashed up my face (and my new glasses, less than a week old - at least the actual lenses can probably be rescued). The fall was bad enough that I was treated in the hospital after the incident and I was feeling bad enough that I went back to the hospital yesterday.

My question today: which insurance should I start petitioning for a new pair of glasses? I am insured by a public Kasse, but have private travel health insurance, and had a bad gut feeling at this trip before I even left, so I also got the basic package offered by FTI. Given that, well, my Hauptwohnsitz is in Germany, I have Haftpflicht, too. Alternately, I could just be out of luck, in which case I should be glad that my optician is a friend's mom who always makes me a deal. ; )

Thanks, and merry Christmas!

Hm, well, my reading glasses fell apart last week or so and I took them to the optician´s I´d bought them at and he repaired them free of charge. Don´t know whether that would be your case..apart from that, both el Jeffo and frank :) lan are right!

Posted

Thanks for the help!

I'm here by myself (had a really lousy year and needed some time away, to myself) and am not so much into the insurance fraud thing. : ) The glasses frame is beyond repair. At this point, I'm just going to be grateful that my optician is a friend's mom and head over to the business with a plate of cookies. : )

Posted

I´m not into fraud, either, yomintyfresh.. I was being ironical! You have the best contact anyway: an optician! ( only GOOD cookies are considered fraud under German law, by the way! ). :)

Posted

I know you are joking, John - I was joking back about Franklan's comment that I should use a friend's Haftpflicht.

Posted

I don't remember the name of it in german so this post is probably useless... but do you have some insurance for your possessions - which may include an accidental damage policy? I have bought something along these lines from my bank (as part of my home contents insurance) and believe I would be covered if I (accidentally) smashed my glasses up. Well actually I don't know for certain that it would cover this, I just know that it covers things like dropping your phone in a glass of water.

Posted

1. You Fell in Malta

2. You were treated at the Hospital

3. You were at fault.

4. You don't like scamming insurance companies to get your glasses replaced.

5. Who pays for the new glasses...

YOU DO!!!

Posted

this is for hindsight, won't help you here but...

I know some opticians offer insurance for new glasses. It was offered to me at Fielmans and I declined it, and I remember it only costing 15 euro for two years coverage (that was quoted last year around this time).

It covers accidents or other mishaps that damage the frames and/or lenses, and it even covers changes in your prescription for the two years.

Next time...

Posted

1. You Fell in Malta

2. You were treated at the Hospital

3. You were at fault.

4. You don't like scamming insurance companies to get your glasses replaced.

5. Who pays for the new glasses...

YOU DO!!!

I see you are back in the Christmas spirit DK. OP, sorry about your luck. Hope you get themfixed for almost nothing, or nothing at all. Just don't take them to Darkknight.

edit: and all I want for Christmas is a "space bar"

Posted

Hey now, as I mentioned in my first post, I knew I could be out of luck - it's just that there are so many forms of insurance here, I figured I might as well check to see if one of my many insurances would cover the cost of new new glasses. It's not like anyone wakes up one morning and says, "hm, I think I will slip and fall and bust up my face and total my new glasses and spend the majority of my Christmas vacation in the hospital in a foreign country."

I go to a small, independent shop and glasses insurance isn't offered; as it is, I've been wearing glasses since I was four years old and this is this the first time I have ever smashed up a pair. It would have just been nicer to have been wearing my old glasses when I fell. ; )

Thanks for the suggestions of double-checking my travel insurance and Hausrat policies!

Posted

@ yomintyfresh (#13 dated 27.12.12):

Either your household goods/home contents insurance policy will pay for the damage. If not, you will have to do so yourself.

Are you sure you're not going native? I remember a bon mot from former German Foreign Minister Klaus Kinkel who was quoted in the Bild am Sonntag on 16 June 1996:

"Wenn der Deutsche umfällt, steht er nicht sofort auf, sondern schaut um sich, wer ihm schadenspflicht ist." (= "When a German falls over, he doesn't get up immediately but looks around to see whether anyone owes him compensation for his accident.")

Posted

You´re right, onemark and HEM! I´m starting to wonder whether the Americans got this from the Germans with the compensation culture!

Ah well, it could be Greece...a place where no one takes blame for anything and the insurance won´t kick in anyway because they don´t have the money...

We know an insurance broker there who only does car insurance these days - nothing else is viable..no one will pay for any damages.

Posted

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the travel insurance. It depends what is in the policy, but I smashed my phone once on holiday and my travel insurance paid up for that.

Posted

Ah well, it could be Greece...a place where no one takes blame for anything and the insurance won´t kick in anyway because they don´t have the money...

We know an insurance broker there who only does car insurance these days - nothing else is viable..no one will pay for any damages.

Well, even that field seems to be shrinking, with so many cars having been de-registered in Greece.

Posted

Thanks for the other ideas. In the end, I took the glasses to the optician's. Someone other than my friend's mom was in the shop at the time. The glasses weren't just bent out of shape, but a ton of paint came off the frame, leaving a lot of the frame as bare metal. The other employee's immediate reaction (even before hearing the story of my idiocy) was that there is no way that that much paint would have been scraped off of the frame if the frame had been properly made. They are trying to claim that the frame is defective and get me a new one. Of course, the decision is up to someone else, but it's still better than automatically having to shell out the cash for a new frame. At least the lenses are OK and those are usually the most expensive part for me.

I am definitely going more native all the time but figured hey, if I have insurance that might cover it that I am paying for already, I might as well try to take advantage of it.

Posted

Whoops!

Correction: I meant to say "schadenspflichtig" in my #14 of yesterday.

Sorry.