Are you a Christmas Criminal?

24 posts in this topic

Posted

Right then,

In our 7 or so years of being a family, the thought of Christmas has usually filled me with dread, always something sad seems to happen (we know what that was this year, happened left of the Pond), but this year for some weird reason, Christmas for us ran very well and smoothly. I'll outline what we did this year, and I'd love to know what was done by our mixed TT families here. I'll discuss what the plans were regarding the tree, Christmas Eve (German Christmas) the obligatory visit to the inlaws, and the Dinner on the 25th.

Having grown up with an artificial tree in Britain most of my life, the ritual of going out and hunting down a real tree is something I love here in Germany. We used to go to places like Rauchenberg near Aying to cut our own tree but found it a tad too commercial, so went to a local farm. All the same, the tree was locally grown. The kids did a great job of decorating it, and I finished it off with real candles, which we lit at present opening time, with a safety bucket of water at hand.

I/we decided to stick to the German tradition of opening presents on 24 December, early evening. The kids are kicked out of the room, the fire is lit to roaring level and when the candles around the room are lit we ring a bell and they are let in to open their presents. we don't spoil them with lots of crap, just enough, and no digital stuff just yet. They are more than thrilled with what we give them. We usually follow my wife's tradition of salmon on toast with the toaster brought in the room and the freshly charred remains passed round. In the past the wife's fam get togethers even involved lobster and caviar, when she was a nipperin.

Christmas Day for me until today used to be the worst day of all, but oddly enough I found myself up early out for a brief jog which really helped wake me up. My normal proceure is to wake with a sore head and start the cooking in a foul mood! But this time, a decent start, kids banned from the klitchen (I can't multitask to save my life) and a wife out cycling made the whole process of cooking the chicken very very relaxed, stress free and the best dinner I may have ever made, considering the eff ups I have made on the 25ths of the past.

Tomorrow Boxing Day is earmarked for yet more Saturnalia blowout with the obligatory inlaw visit and exchanging of cheap usually offloading of last year's unwanted Chrimmy gifts. This will be venison with blaukraut, knödel dumplings and lots of shouts ensuing from the kitchen as usual.

So that seems to over several years have evolved into our tradition which always was a compromise between two cultures, into a nice way to celebrate. What did everyone else do this year?

Posted

Thanks for that blick into your Christmas. Ours was different. German Oma did cold spaghetti on the 24th. But English Nana in the UK is doing all the trimmings next week, with the panto "Dick Whittington" after.

Posted

I sit in Germany and watch this and laugh about the Burgermeister Meisterburger, my very first introduction to German bureaucrats.

Posted

Thanks for that blick into your Christmas. Ours was different. German Oma did cold spaghetti on the 24th. But English Nana in the UK is doing all the trimmings next week, with the panto "Dick Whittington" after.

Now I am envious! I so miss an old fashioned panto! I'm watching ne on the telly with the cbeebies lot. I think Justin is so brilliant, arguably the king of Cbeebies!

Today's success in the kitchen has brought all my confidence back. I'd been a confirmed Christmas cynic till now.

Posted

In true stokie fashion I went on a all expenses paid 48hr bender "Colombian style" with all of the trimmings, eventually got home just as the turkey was getting carved, ate two mouthful of it before deciding there was no way on earth h could eat anything. I watched the end of Shrek 3 with family tho in reality I may as well not have been there as i had to just switch off from the constant waffle coming from peoples gobs. And now i have escaped upstairs to my room where im going to lay on my bed with a bottle of Jack, watching a DVD of Spaced until I pass out. Which will either be in half an hour or I wont sleep at all.

Boxing day is that old English tradition of a football match away, traveling on the loony express that leaves the pub at 8am(we can get in the pub at 6 tho) which will get us there for 10am so that we can find another pub open. After that its anyone's guess as to what will happen.

Posted

Es ist nicht meine Aufgabe dich an Deine Pflichten als Vater zu erinnern!

Been made out to be a criminal today.

Fuck christmas!

Posted

Guess who needs a Taser for Christmas.

Posted

Just had an awesome peanut butter and goose sandwich with red cabbage. Now that was criminal...

Posted

For some reason christmas isn't christmas without "Drei Haselnüsse für Aschenbrödel". It's an old Czech-DDR coproduction. Loved it as a child, still love it. As far as I know, it's a christmas tradition for a lot of Germans to watch this at christmas.

Posted

For some reason christmas isn't christmas without "Drei Haselnüsse für Aschenbrödel". It's an old Czech-DDR coproduction. Loved it as a child, still love it. As far as I know, it's a christmas tradition for a lot of Germans to watch this at christmas.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=zqamJZ3Jiy4

My Wife watched this yesterday...

Posted

Been made out to be a criminal today.

Fuck christmas!

SpiderPig, is this you? Did you steal Christmas?

post-133917-1356459983597.jpg

Posted

Ah, yesterday was fine - the goose and the pressies! Today was fine, too, and this time I invited assorted close-to-me-ones to a traditional German restaurant in Hittfeld, only a few minutes from town. And delightful it was..till paying time.

I leave the table old-worldly to go to the Kasse to pay, take out my Haspa card..and I hear the magic words " we only take cash "...

" I don´t have any.."

" We´ve had bad experiences before ".

" Me, too! "

" What about if someone one else pays "?

" I´m old enough to pay my own bills - and not those of Oma and my girfriend and family ".

" Do have an ID card? "

" No "

" Why not? "

" I´ve never had one! But I have a passport "

" Ok"

" But it´s at home. Will you accept a Metro card, a health insurance card, a Deutsche Bahn card? "

Blank stares and now the owner, his wife and four waitresses are there ".

Me again. " Do you have internet? I can show you our website"!!

" No, we don´t . Can you transfer from your bank account? "

" Yes ".

..it´s nearly 2013, dear people of Hittfeld!!!

Posted

As far as I know, it's a christmas tradition for a lot of Germans to watch this at christmas.

I thought that was watching about three repeats of all three Sissi movies?

Posted

The kids are grown up now and out of the house, so our usual Christmas traditions are evolving a bit. Plus their Oma who always had the big event on the 24th, just recently moved into an Alzheimer care facility, so that put a damper on Christmas Eve.

Once we moved to Germany, we just combined everything. Christmas Eve at Omas, where they opened gifts from the family, then home to get ready for Santa. Letter, snack for Santa and reindeer, than get in bed. Up in the morning, amazed at the mess the reindeer made with the dry oatmeal and carrots we left out for them. Read the letter from Santa, breakfast of sausages and french toast, then open the gifts. Usually a big dinner of ham, au-gratin potatos, pumpkin pie, etc. Play with all the games.

Once the kids got big, we just continued with this, as it works well. Grandparents used to send gifts too, and it makes it easier to spread it out over 2 days. Now, daughter is planning her 1st big dinner party for the 26th, where the whole family is invited, sort of a 2nd Christmas Day event. Last night, since Christmas Eve at Omas' house was now off, daughter and I went to the homeless dinner down by the Hbf, to help serve. It was a nice way to spend the evening, and we will probably continue doing something like this every year.

Posted

First Christmas as a resident here.

Was over last Christmas/New Year visiting the now Frau.

This year we have a house (complete with mortgage) and a baby daughter who was not due til the 15th of January

but decided to show up in true Scottish style 7 weeks early on St. Andrew's Day.

She is home and Christmas is so far up in the air.

However it has been the best one ever, despite the Frau's Creme Caramel tasting like an overly sweet scrambled egg.

Prezzies yesterday.

Roast pork today.

Mother in laws tomorrow for wild hare with all the trimmings (carrots, I expect).

And some more exchange of gifts.

Posted

Don't laugh about the cream caramel tasting sweet, i had Americans staying here and they asked if i had maple sirup didn't so i offered them honey and they put in on there scrambled eggs.. :blink:lol never seen this before and i have been to the US 50 times or more all over east coast west coast in the middle up down and in the south where they eat strange but lovely food

Posted

daughter and I went to the homeless dinner down by the Hbf, to help serve. It was a nice way to spend the evening, and we will probably continue doing something like this every year.

How nice of you Moon, there should be more ppl in the world like you..bless you :D

Posted

My first few years here I tried to do the "German thing" and only celebrate and have presents on the 24th, but after a couple of years I realised that for me this just wasn´t Christmas.

Since Shorty came to the world, and since we still have good friends and relatives in England who like to send presents over for Shorty, we now have German presents on the evening of the 24th, and then Father Christmas comes down the chimney overnight and leaves the english presents under the tree for us to find in the morning!

Being vegetarian, we have cheese fondue on the 24th, and generally on the 25th we have vegetable stir-fry to use up the left-over cut-up pieces of vegetables from the previous evening (it would be a shame to waste them, y'know?!)

I love Moondancer's solution to Christmas!

Edit: Happy Birthday Leon!

Posted

In Iceland we would celebrate Christmas starting on the evening of the 24th, 6 pm when we'd have dinner. After dinner we'd open the presents. When I am alone, I kind of do something like that but I might not have dinner at 6 exactly, just whenever I'm hungry.

This year, I've spent xmas with friends and their 4 yo. We've spent time at both sets of grandparents. On the 24th we had coffee and cake at one of them and Santa snuck in the basement meanwhile and left a bunch of presents there. Then we went to the other gramps for dinner and you know, Santa was already there before we came. Yesterday we were at the one set of grandparents again where more relatives had arrived with more presents they'd found on the way, fallen from Santa's sleigh no doubt and today we are going to the other gramps again for lunch. I don't suppose Santa will be coming again except I might get some pressies 'cause it's my birthday :)