Opening bank account without Anmeldung

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello all!

I am coming to Germany for a month to take a language course in January and am interested in opening a bank account to make my day to day easier. While I am not staying for an extended period this time, I will be back later in the fall to study for several months. As I am only going to be in Berlin for 4 weeks in January, I don't believe I need to register for an Anmeldung. However, from reading through the forums, I would need one to open a bank account.

Does anyone have any recommendations of banks where they do not require an Anmeldung to open an account? I am staying with a friend for the whole time, so I have an address to send stuff to. Also, how long does it normally take to get your EC card, etc.

Thanks for your help!

Posted

Good luck with that one!

I opened a Deutsche Bank account in 2007 when I was in Germany for five weeks. I had to open the account in person as I (at the time) had a UK address and their online application only allowed the fields to include German postcodes etc.

They only ever gave me a card that works in an ATM to get out cash, no EC Card. I still have the account (and I still pay the quarterly charges) and occasionally transfer money in/spend it but no luck with the EC Card.

I'm going to be staying in Germany for a year in 2014 and will change banks (when I am there) to one that will give me a card, like ComDirect, but I think you have to wait several weeks for the card so that's unlikely to be of use to you.

Posted

Great, thanks for the answer.

For my first few weeks then, would I be best just converting some CAD to EUR before I arrive, or are traveller's cheques easy to use as well? (or is there some other convenient/secure way to spend without an EC card?)

Posted

I always use my atm card and withdraw euros as soon as I land. Never had a problem.

Posted

Traveller's cheques are dead. If you stay for just a few weeks you're better off using your domestic debit/credit card.

Posted

Agree with using ATM and Canadian debit card. Some CDN banks- offer free overseas withdrawals, for an annual fee ( ? is this really free??). I pay $3 per debit- so take larger sum out. I use Commerz bank.

Also, money transfers from outside EC- have to do by wire transfer and may need to call your bank.

Posted

I agree with what everyone has said already. I would suggest you either make big withdrawals a few times while you're here in January, or get a credit card that has no foreign transaction fees. I use Citibank's Venture Card and Bank of America's credit card, both have no foreign transaction fees. When I got a Deutsche Bank account, I had to provide an address because that's how I received my ATM card and online codes. Even though I didn't have an official place to live yet, I gave them my friend's address and they sent the card there. It took maybe 4 business days for me to get my ATM card and then an additional 3-5 days to get all of my online codes, so seeing as you're only going to be in DE for a month or so, perhaps it's not worth all of the trouble. I'd wait until you're here longer and then set up an account then. Just my opinion. :)

Posted

kmlcook Did you have an Anmeldung yet or did they just ask for an address to send stuff to? I am going to be staying with a friend the whole time, so I could definitely provide an address to send stuff. Otherwise, credit/debit card seem to be good options.

Posted

Since I knew I would be staying past the amount of time given on a tourist visa (90 days), I went ahead and got an Anmeldung and put my friend's address. I don't remember the person helping me at the bank asking to see the Anmeldung or make a copy of it, but I think they asked to see my passport. Sorry, my memory has gone fuzzy, so I'm unsure about what they asked for exactly, but if I were you, I'd just use your friend's address, and if they want to see an Anmeldung, just go to the Ausländerbehörde and quickly register. It really shouldn't be a big deal. All you do is fill out a form, they look at your passport, enter in information, and then you get a copy of that form. Pretty easy really.

Posted

...go to the Ausländerbehörde Bürgerbüro and quickly register.

Posted

Thanks PandaMunich for the correction! :):D Mea culpa!

Posted

With global clampdowns on banks regarding money laundering and tax evasion, it is becoming more difficult and cumbersome to open accounts in other countries. I am Anmeldung in Germany since June 2012 and last month decided it time to set up a local bank account. I was asked to show passport, valid residency/visa as well as Anmeldung. My visa is currently temporary to January 2013, where I am changing to (hopefully) a 3 year once married.

Nevertheless they rejected my application. :( I'll try again after January, was my residency is a little more permanent.

Posted

FrecheKerl: they rejected your application? Hmm, at Deutsche Bank? If you didn't go there, I suggest checking there because I think they are "used to" foreigners opening up bank accounts, as I had no problem.