Looking for a Stuttgart cobbler

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi everyone,

I'll be moving to Stuttgart in January to learn German. I've got a pair of oxfords I need stretched a size in width, can anyone recommend a good cobbler who can do this?

By the way, posting a new topic was a real pita.

Posted

I'll be moving to Stuttgart in January to learn German.

Stuttgart? Learning German? Brave man!

They speak (schwabbeln) Schwäbisch. Excerpt from Wikipedia:

Swabian is difficult to understand for speakers of Standard German, not just for its pronunciation but because it contains some vocabulary that differs altogether from Standard German.

Posted

I'll be studying at IFA, I don't think they teach the dialect there :)

But yeah, it will be interesting. I vaguely remember speaking about my interest in learning German in Stuttgart some time ago with a Fräulein and she expressed her concern.

Posted

Although I can't recommend them based on personal experience, according to their website Schumacherei Jaekel are suitably skilled, equipped and capable of taking care of your oxfords professionally. You can read in the 2nd picture about their claimed ability to make shoes tighter, broader, larger or higher.

post-89810-13562616965443.png

post-89810-13562618507491.jpg

HTH

2B

Posted

Just what I was looking for. Thanks, 2B.

Posted

Just be aware that Jaekel's services will probably be fairly expensive. If you have a cobbler who can do this where you are now, I would recommend having it done before you come to Germany.

Posted

I'm in the Philippines, cobblers here aren't the best. What sort of prices are we looking at?

Posted

Ah right. I've never used Jaekel personally either, but anyone advertising handmade shoes here will charge well for repairs. Most "cobblers" here are the "Mister Minit"-type that will do your shoes (usually new soles) while you wait.

Posted

Okay, thanks.

Posted

There's a great and reasonably priced cobbler on Gablenberger Hauptstrasse in Stuttgart Ost - on the left as you are walking up, across the road from the One World Shop. I go there all the time. The cobbler usually needs a few days to a week but does some good quality work!

Posted

Great, I'd rather not pay for repairs costing as much as the shoe itself. I'll post my cobbler experiences when I can.