Assault by neighbor

27 posts in this topic

Posted

This sounds extremely unfair. I can't imagine that the Polizei did not file a report. You were threatened and damage to your auto. Are there any witnesses? What about the mechanic who saw your auto before the damage. Maybe, a statement from him, may assist.

I do not have any idea of the laws here, but I am sure there will be some great advice from the fellow TT's!

Posted

thanks-he's an unkempt looking older man (mid 70's-ish) and very volatile and explosive. he is always alone, too. the mechanic was gone, and the policeman said that the method i was using was o.k., but that emergency mechanics are often quick fix mechanics and to go to my regular werkstatt for a more permanent solution to the engine starts. i'll get a repair estimate from them as well, and proof of my car's condition before the incident. the officer said that during Advent the police station is overworked, but i gave the policeman my neighbor's info and he promised that he'd call me-he could have followed up at least. do i have to seek a lawyer, or can i do all of the work myself in terms of making him fix my car? he is unstable and needs help, but the officer just said that he sees people that are just mean all of the time. this is more than that.

Posted

Frankly it sounds like the officer on duty did not take you seriously enough. Go back to the station - or another station - and try again with another officer.

Posted

I am not at all sure what you mean by "do I just leave?" in the title - of course you don´t leave, FFS!

Why on earth should you?!

Back to the situation in hand, well, yes, the police officer should have given you more help and support, and yes, they probably are busy with "more important" things at this time of year, but even so, you have you rights, just like everybody else does!

I would suggest you get together as much information as possible to prove your case, and then go to the police station again, or indeed to another one, where you might be shown a little more respect.

I would also suggest contacting your insurance company - they should be informed about the situation, and might also be able to give you some advice.

Lastly, do you have Rechtschutz versicherung? Mine includes legal advice - maybe yours does too - it would be a good idea to get a legal opinion on this if you can!

Posted

Is there not some law in Germany that prevents road rage? You cannot stick your finger up. But can slam doors and behave like that.

Posted

Should have just got out of the car and slapped him silly.When he reports it to the police just tell them an orange man came runnung down the road and you thought the old guy had been tangoed

Posted

You don't say where you live, but if you were in Hamburg I'd know a few people that'd happily come slap his door...

Posted

Phone the cops again. As far as I remember if you were in fear for your life you can try and get them to do something. Tell them you are scared to come home or leave your flat.

Posted

Is there not some law in Germany that prevents road rage?

Not really, but there are laws that say that says that vermeidbare Abgasbelästigung and running car engines without due reason is verboten (§30(1) StVO), in particular if you disturb other people by doing so.

Posted

Furthermore, if the mechanic says she has to run her engine at high revs for 30 seconds to keep it from dying (I'm no car expert, but I assume it has something to do with the automatic choke), then it isn't vermeidbar, is it?

Of course it's vermeidbar, leave the car where it is in silence and take the bus! ;)

Posted

it isn't vermeidbar, is it?

Sure it is. Get the car fixed.

Posted

You don't say where you live, but if you were in Hamburg I'd know a few people that'd happily come slap his door...

...and in Essen, that's me.

This guy needs to be checked...

Posted

Sorry lads, I know that you all mean well, but let´s stick to the legal options, shall we?

A forum like this really cannot be seen to be supporting people taking things into their own hands!

Edit: Gwaptiva, I would be absolutely bloody terrified of you! :)

Posted

I wasn't suggesting any such thing; I was merely suggesting acting like a good (pseudo-)citizen and preventing said old man from blowing an artery by pointing out the errors of his ways. Shudder to think the poor man would be intimidated by my 6'4", 240lbs frame ;)

Posted

I was just about to mention, robinson, that single men always take things in their ow :) n hands..and, suddenly, Gwaptiva reminded me he´s 6´4 and 240 lbs..and I, erm, changed my mind!!

Happy Xmas, Gwaptiva!! And, Robinson, of course!

Posted

This guy is sooo worried about a WHOLE 30 seconds on the gas pedal, and whoa...THAT affects his health while he's INDOORS, watching from his window...PUHLEEEEEZE!! I would SOOO check this ASSHOLE!! This guy just wants to bitch about shit that doesn't fucking matter...probably doesn't have a life whatsoever.

You put your hands on me or my stuff, I put my hands on YOU and YOUR stuff...simple as that.