Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Instagram eats itself

13 posts in this topic

Posted

It was a really lovely basic service. However, the moves that they've taken in light of their so-called-reversal on their updated Terms of Service really annoyed me. It's one thing to change the Terms of Service (just let the users know and opt out if they wish), it's quite another to release a statement that sounds like you users are idiots! Of course we didn't mean what you thought! Sheesh you guys! Finally got instaport to work and downloaded my pictures and deleted my account.

Been lots and lots of chatter about it on the interwebs, but some of the highlights that I've seen were:

Interesting analysis of the announcements by Instagram

Did instagram get the tone wrong?

Tweets

https://twitter.com/DesignStats

4 out of 5 designers secretly hope their Instagram cat photos will be sold to Time Magazine.

https://twitter.com/financialuproar

So you're all okay with file sharing if its other people's music, but opposed if its crappy pics of your dinner? Noted. #instagram

Apparently, instagram are reverting to their original terms of service.

What do you think? If you're a user, will you keep your account? Any nice alternatives? The new Flickr app looks awesome, however, it's only on iOS so far. Here's hoping they release an Android version soon. (I stopped using Flickr because of issues with Yahoo sign in - looks like I'll be dusting that off again.)

Posted

Ill keep mine, gee lots of other things in the world to get upset about then a mobile phone app changing its TOS. And the amount of facebook post and forum posts like this that go with it..

Posted

Flickr has an android app too, I have it and use it.

EDIT: I'll also keep my account, esp. as now they've reverted to original T&C anyway.

Mind, Instagram (well now Facebook) has denied that they are going to sell images for advertising. They claimed that it was wrong choice of words in their new terms and conditions.

I'm a bit held up right now, will be back with the links in a bit!

Posted

Ian, yes, it is a first world problem. I do supposedly live in the first world...

"First world problem", it may be, but on the larger scale of things everyone should be aware of how their online identities are being displayed and used. Your identity online is a very important commodity. People are losing out on jobs because they're publishing overly personal info online, as one example. When a service ups and changes the state of affairs like this, it's actually important how people react. It's going to shape our digital landscapes in the months and years to come.

Instagram started as a free service. Yes, they are a business, but moving the goalposts & retroactively claiming ownership on others' intellectual property is not a small thing.

Anyhow, I didn't start this topic to rant about privacy & © online, was just wondering what people thought & if there were any interesting alternatives apart from flickr :-) aqua_mini yes, I've got the android flickr app, but the iOS one is new & apparently awesome. Must double check & see if it's updated.

Lots of people recommend EyeEm, but it's not working for me. For some reason it's crashing. Oh well.

Posted

You can also move over to Picassa

Posted

pixlr is also quite good. :)

http://pixlr.com/o-matic/

Posted

Again, nobody wants to use second-rate apps with, like, eighty people from Eastern Europe using it. PLEASE, freeloaders who want everything (anything) but don't want to give up a thing for it...please go off-the-grid, grow your own food, sell your Macbook Pro and leave the (wannabee) hipster lifestyle immediately.

Instagram and Facebook are the best because they have the best servers, functions--and most importantly, the people you need to communicate with. 'Eye Em' has a a stupid name, Picasa is for Dutch and Polish rebels and whatever the other one is...nobody's heard of it because it sucks.

Posted

They can only afford a good infrastructure because they have lots of users. If you encourage people to join only the biggest networks, the others, even if they do have good and original ideas, stand no chance of competing. So the fat cat ones can do what they like. Like screw with peoples information and privacy. People who encourage others to join them are partly to blame for their lazyness and complacency.

Posted

Again, nobody wants to use second-rate apps with, like, eighty people from Eastern Europe using it. PLEASE, freeloaders who want everything (anything) but don't want to give up a thing for it...please go off-the-grid, grow your own food, sell your Macbook Pro and leave the (wannabee) hipster lifestyle immediately.

Instagram and Facebook are the best because they have the best servers, functions--and most importantly, the people you need to communicate with. 'Eye Em' has a a stupid name, Picasa is for Dutch and Polish rebels and whatever the other one is...nobody's heard of it because it sucks.

I think you're confusing business models.

Facebook - "Free and it always will be"

I didn't ask them to make this statement & thereby forever preventing me from partaking in a freemium model. As although they are trying a Ryanair-esque approach with the pay to promote posts. Facebook is hardly the best in many senses. The apps on several platforms are dead slow & buggy (even after changing from the HTML5 Version to platform-specific ones). Privacy controls are hairy at best. Ubiquitous, for sure, but not *the best*.

Instagram is the best at applying a limited amount of filters on a specific square format. Location tagging is not fantastic.

Making blanket statements that x is the best isn't really fair. It all depends on the context. Would I pay to have a better user experience on Facebook? Probably. But they don't offer that option. They do have the opportunity to use my data, activity & content for various marketing & other purposes. I know I'd prefer to pay with currency rather than my identity.

Posted

If you have problems with a network, just change!

And when you find have problems with that, ask yourself who is creating those problems for you. And are they for technical or business reasons? And you'll see what everyone has been complaining about for some time.

It's OK. The current situation is only transient. And is driven by what people accept. Or not.

Posted

xkcd got it spot on

http://www.xkcd.com/1150/