Landlord wants dog sleeping outside

68 posts in this topic

Posted

We dont have a dog yet, but my Hb boss wants to give us a small one. So I rang the Landlord and ask if he allows it. He doesn't mind, as long the dog stays outside (nights included), well, on summer it wouldn't be a big issue, but on winter...

So, do you know if there is some time of dodhouse that is warm enought to keep him confortable on this cold nights?

If we can't accept him he will probably go to a animal shelter :(

apreciate any help :)

Posted

The landlord might change his mind about you keeping the dog if he barks all the time because he is not allowed in the house. How much time do you want to spend outside in this cold weather?

Posted

An insulated shelter might be the smallest problem.

You need roughly 10 sqm fenced space as well, and , as Beuel already has pointed out, a bored dog will bark a lot and this will lead to problems with neighbours. And what do you have from a dog in the garden?

Posted

Your landlord is an arsehole: totally alienated from the world - does he think only humans have the right to exist?

This kind of thing makes my blood boil.

What is wrong with people ( some) ? Why should a dog go to an animal shelter? Let them share your existence and enjoy their life.

Posted

We do have a garden (quite big), that's will be shared with the neighbour once he/she moves in.

And we also have a Terrasse, that will be fenced soon enought (for my daughters safety).

Once he does accept the dog, he can't invict us or the dog just because he changed is mind, can he?

@jonh g.

I agrree with you, that is why I'm trying to keep the dog. Maybe I could sneak him in on the colder nights/days, but not always, I imagine :(

Posted

If the dog barks, yes he can (evict the dog). And if the new neighbour complains or doesn't like dogs you'll have problems. But I just don't think the dog will be happy under the circumstances. Well, depends on the breed, some need to be with their humans and some are ok with a more independant life. As for the weather: most animals are born to live outside, not in houses.

And if the owner wants to take him to an animal shelter it's not exactly the landlord's fault. The landlord didn't buy him, he is not the one who didn't neuter the bitch.

Posted

You are old enough to get married... rent a house.. have a child... but you come to a chat forum to ask about a dog that you havent even got?

Flummoxed, I am!

Posted

I know its not his fault, it's more the fact that he wants the dog to sleep outside, on winter time.

Then again, the time with us, would not be a big problem, since both me and my daughter love to be outside.

My issue is really the nights, I agree that animals are ment to be outside, but that are limits, and this one it's not especially "made" for winter, like Huskys, for exemple.

As for the barking, it's a dog, I haven't met one who doesn't bark.

So, do you know if there is anything like what I asked? Or a way to adapt a normal one?

Posted

I think you are as Barking mad as your landlord!!!

Posted

It is not fair to get a dog if it has to stay outside. It is selfish to get one for your own enjoyment under such conditions.

We had -20 temperatures the other week!

Posted

I know that Moonboot, and if there was another place beside animal shelter, and possibly to be "put down" later,I wouldn't have given another thought...

Posted

If you HBs boss is using the "have it put down" story... then your HB has a wanker of a boss!

Posted

Can you reason with your landlord, promise the dog will sleep in the kitchen or something, if you explain the situation he may relent!

What does your rental contract say, is the dog large?

Posted

I know that Moonboot, and if there was another place beside animal shelter, and possibly to be "put down" later,I wouldn't have given another thought...

As far as I know, it's against the law for vets in Germany to just "put down" healthy dogs.

Posted

You could just get a small kennel and put it on the terrasse to show the landlord, in the event he wants to visit you for the dog to use if/when he wants to.

Or do you expect your landlord's going to come around every night to check to see if the dog has clocked out?

2B

Posted

But they havent even got the friggin thing yet... its all hypothetical..

Get a Hamster or something...

Posted

It seems the dog exists and is in danger of having to go to an animal shelter (for whatever reasons), a fate the OP wants to save it from.

Posted

Oh the fucking drama! :o

Posted

It's not the boss that says that the dog will be put down, it's my experience with dog shelters, not in germany, though.

If you are right, bramble, that's a good thing. But I still don't like the idea od him going to the shelter, it's not a puppy anymore, so I'm not sure if it would be easy to get him adopted.

It's not a big dog, but not a tiny one either. 40 / 50 cm (16/19 inches) head to bottom, plus tale. I will speak again with the landlord, maybe he will change his mind.

I pretend take him inside, especially if there is a cold night. The landlord wouldn't check, but maybe the new neigbour would...I don't know.

Posted

You will need your landlord's written permission to keep the dog, then he can't suddenly change his mind, unless the dog is a nuisance due to continued barking and the neighbours complain. But if you have to keep him outside, this is what is going to happen.

Why does the boss want to get rid of the dog?

Posted

I don't know how (or why) he got the dog, but his 5yo daughter is afraid of him, she never liked dogs much, and cries when he comes close to her.

That's why he wants to give it away, even if he has to take him to a shelter. I don't agree with what he did (he and his wife), but it's not the dogs fault.

My girl, she loves animals, even when they bark a little (dogs), she may jump, but if the dog moves away she goes after it (when I let her). So, she wouldn't have a problem with him.

I don't want the dog to go to the pound...I really don't...That's why I'm trying to figure it out if there is any way I can keep him without pissing the neigbours out. :S

Posted

Since the dog is a fairly small one (midsize?) I wouldn't be worried about it staying in the pound for very long. The big dogs are a problem for the pounds.

Please don't get it for a wrong felt feeling of sympathy. The most sensible option would be to ask the landlord what the problem is with keeping a small dog inside? I don't get what the issue is for the landlord.

You could mention that you would get an airline box so you can lock it inside(very sensible and can double as a bed).