Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Unwanted Christmas presents

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Well,last year I received a yellow and black teapot/cup set - it is absolutely ghastly, and my Auntie Florence might have noticed by now that I DO NOT DRINK TEA!!!

This "wonderful teapot, and an equally ghastly girlie bag, (a present from my Brother), have been sitting on the shelf in my office since last Christmas, as I don´t know what to do with them - on the one hand, they have been given to me by people who love me and think I will enjoy them, and on the other hand I wouldn´t give them to my worst enemy.

What do you do with unwanted gifts?

Posted

Well, Shorty could have a tea party for friends, and she might even like the girly handbag! :unsure:

I always say I'm going to have a garage sale, but end up donating everything. I'd take the unwanted items to the local equivalent of Salvation Army. One person's ghastly is another person's awesome.

Posted

Ah, I know the problem, Rob! One Christmas my mum came around with my Auntie Alwyn ( still around..hope she likes her jacket and gloves this year..) and I got a terrible, kitchy painting ( can´t remember exactly what or how it was ) and I had friends around over drinks and joints weeks later and showed it to them. I took the piss and we all had a good time.

Then my mum died.

I still feel ashamed at this time of year when I think back to it.

I like to think a gift is a gift if given in love.

I feel sad now as I write this.

Posted

I usually just put them away in the closet/storage. EVERY Christmas I tell people to NOT buy me clothing. You never know if someone is going to like it. If you wanted to go the clothing route, then you might as well give them a gift card and let them pick out their own clothes. My mother and other relatives buy me clothes every year and I feel bad because I never like what they choose (we're talking Hawaiian shirts and once a fuzzy hoodie that looked like the whole thing was faux fur). Of course, I would never tell them that!

Posted

Every year, UNICEF collects unwanted gifts at the Rathaus and then auctions them off to raise money for their projects. Information is available here.

Unwanted gifts (and other items) can be dropped off until Jan 9 at the city's information bureau at front of the Rathaus:

"Die Stadt-Information ist montags bis freitags von 10 bis 20 Uhr

sowie samstags von 10 bis 16 Uhr geöffnet.

Die Geschenke werden von 7. bis 11. Januar, jeweils von 11 bis 17 Uhr

im Prunkhof des Rathauses versteigert.

Schirmherrin der Aktion ist Edith von Welser-Ude. Der Erlös geht an UNICEF."

Another good place to drop off the items would be one of the Oxfam shops here in MUC.

Posted

I got a pretty horrible looking hoodie one time from my brother. It was white with some print in pastel colors on it. Ok, it was the 80's. Later he started giving everybody these gift packages you get at Starbucks. I don't actually drink coffee so I'd always gave mine to my mom.

My mom has gotten better with time but she used to give very strange presents too. She'd go on vacation and get me and my brother these souvenir t-shirts with golden embossed embroidery, usually a size too small too. One time, she'd gone on vacation and found this store that sold pillows. They were kind of shiny and glimmery with stripey designs. She liked them so much she bought like 20 of them and because she realized when she got home that nobody has use for 20 decorative pillows on their couch, she gave everybody one for xmas. I guess I was a teenager then. When I opened it, I just thought WTF. I asked her if she liked it, she said yes, I gave it back to her. Upon seeing that, my brother gave his back too. She was kind of embarrassed I guess and since then she's trying a bit harder.

I may have given crappy gifts too at times but at least I try to get people something I think they may want.

Posted

That is why I only ever ask for alcohol bottles as presents. if they are good, well, they get a place of honor in my stomack. If they are bad, we pass them on. Alcohol never wasted.

And now, off to drink to surviving the end of the world... Merry Christmas everybody!

post-27831-1356126177274.jpgh

Posted

Or even Tuesday!

Posted

Oh, you're so old-fashioned!

Towels. Frigging towels from my then soon-to-be-ex. Forget about diamonds or a three-week cruise. Respect would have done it.

Posted

A friend of mine has joined a Tauschgruppe and so I give the stuff to him and he takes it there. He said the cups went down well. But I always think that one man's junk is another man's treasure and if it's free, then someone is likely to wnat it.

I used to take stuff to Oxfam.

Sometimes, I would pass stuff on to the monks here who look after the homeless. I once asked if they even took towels. Yes, they did. So I washed and ironed them and handed them on.