Attn Canadians: huge jump in passport fee ahead

23 posts in this topic

Posted

Glad my passport was up for renewal this year, so the gouge prices the Canadian government is taking won't hit me or my daughter for about 5 years.

Current prices on the Berlin embassy site put a 5-year adult passport at C$100, or €80.

According to the Ottawa site, the fee for a 5-year passport if you're applying and picking it up outside Canada will be €190 as of July 1, 2013. Holy fuck.

Might be worth getting a new passport before the increase even if your renewal date is not for a while.

If it's any compensation, you can finally get a 10-year passport after July 1 - for $260.

Posted

Ugh. Mine isn't up until 2016 so I guess I won't bother yet but what a rip off. Have to check when the kids are due to get a new one.

Did you see the thing about the simplified passport renewal being available in Germany now? At least that's good news.

Posted

Hmm, mine expires in December 2013. Guess I'll get it done a bit earlier and save a hundred bucks. Sheesh.

Thanks for the heads up!

Posted

Thanks for the info. Have been procrastinating for about 5 years in having mine renewed due to the hassle involved... guess I need to bite the bullet.

Posted

Ugh. Mine isn't up until 2016 so I guess I won't bother yet but what a rip off. Have to check when the kids are due to get a new one.

Did you see the thing about the simplified passport renewal being available in Germany now? At least that's good news.

WV, considering it's going to cost you nearly double, why not renew before the price hike if they allow you to do so?

About the simplified passport renewal, I renewed my passport at the end of August, and there was still nothing simplified about it, so that must be quite recent. Even though they have all the documents from the TWO passports I've had renewed in Berlin, I still had to jump through all the hoops as if I were getting a passport for the very first time.

Posted

About the simplified passport renewal, I renewed my passport at the end of August, and there was still nothing simplified about it, so that must be quite recent.

You missed it by just a few days then. The simplified passport renewal has been available since September 2012.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/germany-allemagne/consular_services_consulaires/Passports-SR-passeport-RS.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

Posted

Have you had trouble with them? I haven't.

Posted

Canadian consular services are the worst.

Did you get bad service in Berlin?

Not having any others to compare to personally, I can't say, but at least the wait for the passport isn't long.

Posted

the fee for a 5-year passport if you're applying and picking it up outside Canada will be €190 as of July 1, 2013. Holy fuck.

Whoops - it will be 190 dollars, not euros. Still, it's almost twice as much as before.

Posted

Yes, still very expensive considering we've got three Canucks in the family, but at least now we won't have to bug our dentist for a signature any more.

I've always found the service in Berlin to be fine, most of the time it took less than two weeks to get the passports back.

Posted

Thanks for the info. What a rip off!

Posted

Is it just my browser or is the embassy site not working?

Gotta hop to it with four passports lined up :o

Posted

Did you get bad service in Berlin?

Not having any others to compare to personally, I can't say, but at least the wait for the passport isn't long.

No, relatives in other countries. Canadian services are a black box that leave people in limbo waiting for their visas, and no one to talk to. Even the USA is more transparent and timely with responses. I usually get my passports done on visits to family in Canada. I pay the fee for speedy service.

Posted

Canada immigration is overworked and visas and especially PR take forever, sometimes years. For people who are living in Canada, citizenship applications are taking longer and longer now too. Last time I checked, the average was at 20 months and sometimes they drag on for years.

However, I don't see why renewing your passport would take a long time because you already have citizenship and it is not like you lose your citizenship in Canada because you took another or because you didn't live in Canada for x years so they don't have to check anything, just make you a new one.

Posted

Anyone know if the German passport system is entirely fee-funded as it is in Canada, or is it taxpayer subsidized? There's quite a large difference between German and Canadian passport costs! €59 vs $160 for 10-year.

Posted

Whoops - it will be 190 dollars, not euros. Still, it's almost twice as much as before.

Thats currently 145 Euros. Maybe you'll have some sympathy for us Brits who have had to pay 166 Euros plus 26 Euros "Courier Fee".

Posted

However, I don't see why renewing your passport would take a long time because you already have citizenship and it is not like you lose your citizenship in Canada because you took another or because you didn't live in Canada for x years so they don't have to check anything, just make you a new one.

I wasn't saying mine took long, just responding to westvan's comment about whether I had experienced long wait times with Berlin. I try to get it done in three days in person in Canada, so I've never used consular services abroad and wouldn't know. I wasn't under the impression that it's as fast as paying the urgent rate at a Passport Canada office.