Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Borrowing money as an int. student

16 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello Everyone,

I am about to continue my studies in Germany but am facing great difficulties concerning the financial support that I have to provide.

As an international student, one should deposit 8050 Euros in a bank in Germany during his/her stay. Each and every year, this blocked account will be checked and the amount has to remain untouched or else the int. student won't get the visa renewal for the upcoming year.

Due to the tremendous fluctuations in the economics of my country, my saving now does not cover the needed amount as financial support. So, I thought it might be my very last resort to find someone/some organisation in Germany that would lend me the money and I pay it back during my stay in Germany.

None of the scholarship conditions present any aid in this regard.

Does anybody know any kind of person or organisation that would provide me with such sort of support?

Thanks in advance

Posted

You might have a look at DAAD database and find out about how to obtain a scholarship in Germany as a foreign student, otherwise you ask your parents or a sugar uncle :).

Posted

... or a church, mosque, synagogue or charitable foundation (Kuwaiti Fund, Gates Foundation, etc.).

Posted

1- Thank you for the reply.

2- Well, this definitely had struck my mind long ago: Unfortunately, I don't have any sugar uncle ;-) and when I said my saving does not suffice that meant all the money I got, mine and my parents'.

(You can not imagine how harsh it is, after learning German and getting your TestDaF with good marks and meet all other requirements to get the admission, you are now left hapless only because of this nasty need: money)

3- I said, this is my last resort. That means, I did use DAAD! As I stated earlier, none of those scholarship programs fitted my situation. Almost all of those fund providing institutes told me that I have to make it to Germany first, on my own for sure, then after enrollment at the university, they will consider helping me.

The thing is, there is this vicious cycle in here, as much as I have understood: You have to deposit 8050 Euros at the bank and by showing the evidence of this deposit, the university will enroll you, On the other side, You have to prove you are a student in Germany to get the fund. How am I supposed to prove being a student while I cannot register at a uni because of that deposit problem?

4- A friend of mine who had the same situation but could make it to Germany before the fluctuations got this terrible told me, as long as you don't have the student card, (perhaps in and exaggerated form:) you are not even counted as a human being. So, every charity foundation does look after your request of help as soon as you prove yourself as a legal immigrant.

5- Your solutions are too general and not that realistic and tangible, yet respectful. :-)

Thank you anyway :-)

Posted

If you have a relative in Germany you can ask that person to be financially responsible for you (= Verpflichtungserklärung), and then you don't have to have those 8,000€, for details please see Student visa for unwanted university.

Posted

I think that in my former post, I have made it clear enough that I actually, truly, really and practically do not have any relative in Germany. If I had, this certainly would have been my first option and I know about Verpflichtungserklaerung. That's why I have opened up this thread to see whether any other solution could be found. To me, there only is left the last resort, some human being who would borrow me the money.

Thanks for your reply :-)

Posted

Sorry, Lunachista, but nobody here is going to give you any money, if that's what you're after. All the options have been pointed out to you. If all you can think of in response is "I know" (instead of perhaps "thank you"), then you might as well quit.

Posted

At the risk of making a fool of myself since you already likely know the answer and have researched it thoroughly:

Are you able to secure funding in your home country by way of a student or bank loan?

Your profile doesn't say which country you're actually from so I don't even know if it's possible, but I just thought I'd throw it out there...

Posted

Thank you again!

Well, let's bear in mind that his country is at civil war and due to some international conventions this might ease his process of getting the visa and other financial matters. This is to say that He and I might not be in the same condition. Other than that, I contacted him. Thanks for this hint. :-)

Annnd the sense of entitlement? Well, I definitely did not want my sayings to sound so. As far as I consider, it's more of a sense of haplessness than entitlement.

It's interesting to hear that he eventually got a scholarship while residing outside Germany. I personally sent out too many scholarship applications to the organizations that DAAD gave their links and the result is explained up there.

Let's hope there shows up a way and thanks :-)

Posted

Dear El Jeffo,

With all respect, if you would take a closer look at my posts here, you certainly could notice the beginnings and endings which contain at least one "Thank you".

Moreover, No! Money is not what I am here for. Actually, it's to get to know the exceptions, and that is precisely what Pandamunich provided me with: something to guide me through rare common ways to solve the problem.

I say "I know" to make it clear that I have already gone through all the details, so there would be no more need for other users to bother themselves to repeat some known facts.

:-)

Posted

Dear Bluebell16, such sort of secured fund is not possible and that's only due to political issues: the absence of financial relations between my country and Germany.

Posted

Sorry Lunachista, but your profile tells us absolutely nothing about you, and then you turn down suggestions by mentioning "relations between my country and Germany"!

Don´t you think that if you post which country you are actually from, others might come forward with their experience and maybe even come up with the exact piece of advice that you are looking for?

Posted

Oh well! Ok! I understand. :-)

I am from Iran!

You know, my country, my birthplace actually, where I did not chose intentionally to be born in, does not exist in the drop-down list of "Located".

Posted

Probably because it's not known as a source of many native English speakers...

Posted

You could also ask directly at the Akademisches Auslandsamt (= international office) at the German university you want to study at, they also have some limited funds for scholarships, it can't hurt to ask.