Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fake British titles of nobility

18 posts in this topic

Posted

So...I recently attended a wedding in Glencoe, Scotland last October and came across a rather unbelievable website called "Highland Titles" claiming to be selling British nobility titles from as little as 30 pounds! Unbelievable! You apparently buy a plot of land, get a coat of arms, get title deeds for a place called "Glencoe Wood" that you can camp on for life and also can be a "Laird" (Scottish Lord) or "Lady".

This Highland Titles website has recently been hitting expat websites looking for further victims...I saw one today on Germany's main expat news site (who shall remain nameless or my post might get taken down!), hence post.

As with all websites these days, I always scrutinise if it catches my attention. I did some background reading on this paritcular "Highland Titles" site, admittedly it does look impressive and almost believable and the too good to be true claims are false and part of a clever scam.

I am also a British citizen and the titles are fake, you can only become a new lord or lady in the UK if appointed by the Queen. In the UK, some dodgy title deed document to passport control or a bank WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

-the land they are selling is open to the public anyway.

-all the money enriches the offshore scam artists who set this up, they might spend a few pounds on maintaining the land, but very little no doubt!

-Glencoe Wood (where supposed plot is) is also in no way connected or near to the actual very historic Glencoe, another clever part of the scam.

-there can only be one Laird per large estate in Scotland, not 000s like these people lead you to believe.

-this website is also not even registered in Scotland, it is based offshore in a UK tax haven called the Channel Islands.

Their main victims are people outside the UK and mostly Americans, Canadians and Australians fall for it (due to Scottish ancestery), as most people in the UK know you cannot buy a lordship or ladyship for 30-5000+ pounds simply by buying a small campsite plot in Scotland!

I really hope NOBODY falls for this. There is potential to lose 10s of thousands of pounds/dollars/euros!

From what I understand, they have received 100s of complaints, had several websites closed down already and no refunds are given. They are supposedly not totally illegal either in the UK, but somehow have managed so far to get away with it. Hopefully the British authorities are trying to shut them down.

There are many websites complaining about this scam, for example and further reading:

http://www.scots-titles.com/fake-lairds-lords

Be aware International people!

Posted

Mister Conrad Black found out the hard way that becoming (a real)Lord is not a cake walk either. he lost his Canadian citizenship over it and is trying hard to get it back. Who wants to be a British Lord anyway? (it costs a lot of money to keep up with the Lords)

Posted

gabrlunzi - amazingly alot of people, so far these scam artisits have made alot of money from this, possibly millions. Several international TV networks have foolishly believed this and promoted it on daytime tv, sadly hooking in more gullible investors.

Posted

Didn't Chris Eubank buy himself a "Lord of the Manor" title? Quite legit but silly.

Posted

Do you know why Chris Eubank wears a monocle?

He can't say thpekticalth.

Posted

Didn't Chris Eubank buy himself a "Lord of the Manor" title? Quite legit but silly.

Very silly. Lord of the manor was an incorporeal medieval land right, just like the right of gather fallen apples or the right to keep a pig on the village common. Claiming it as a title would be the same as printing your calling card with the title "Possessor of the right to walk on the footpath over Hampton Heath".

Posted

It's a fun piece of paper, but you could have saved the cost and printed it yourself. There is no such thing as an Irish Lord. Under Article 40 of the Bunreacht na hEireann, Ireland does not confer titles - quite logical in a Republic that considers all citizens to be equals. People like Lord Mountcharles or whoever hold English titles that have no legal standing in Ireland.

Posted

Irish Lassie -The Irish one must be a bit of fun and the sellers of these deeds could not take themselves seriously, being an Irish Lord means nothing as there is no Irish House of Lords anymore, being a British Lord has alot more weight to it (part of the sales pitch). However, the Scottish one is not for fun and is supposed to be totally serious with the aim to scam people out of alot of money (you could spend 10,000s+ if stupid enough). Although I am sure there are some people who buy their documents for fun, probably not knowing they are supporting a scam!

Check out the expensive looking "Scottish" website...

Posted

However, the Scottish one is not for fun and is supposed to be totally serious with the aim to scam people out of alot of money (you could spend 10,000s+ if stupid enough). Although I am sure there are some people who buy their documents for fun, probably not knowing they are supporting a scam!

Check out the expensive looking "Scottish" website...

I don't know, I just checked the sites in the link you posted, and they state that this courtesy title should not be confused with the noble title of a "British Lord"

Posted

The Irish one must be a bit of fun and the sellers of these deeds could not take themselves seriously,

I had a quick look and they sell these bits of paper for 50 euros. Must be a quality printer ink.

Posted

The Scottish one actually claims (on the FAQs) that you can use the title deed to change your name on your bank account and official government documents to display Lord or Lady, fooling people into believing their scam further. Total lies!

So, that says it all.

Posted

I'm pretty sure our neighbor upstairs purchased one of these titles. The other night I heard some thumping and commotion from their bedroom and the woman's voice crying loudly, "Oh, Lord! Oh, Lord!"

He must have been plowing his tract of land.

Posted

Not entirely, not enough time to check but there's an English peerage and a Scottish peerage, they are separate, there's an official order of precendence within them and between them; not too sure there *is* a British peerage, is there?

Posted

I sit corrected... Won't be doing much arising after that gym session...

Posted

I saw this scam years ago, probably the same people that brought you "Buy land on the moon".