Collision with mystery wildlife

53 posts in this topic

Posted

Guess this sounds like a dumb question...

A week or so ago, my daughter's boyfriend was on the highway heading south out of town, and heard a small thud. At the time, he was on the phone to my daughter (on loudspeaker, so both hands on wheel). He should have stopped to check what it was, but didn't (bad move...). Afterwards, he inspected the bumper and found a piece of plastic missing. Now the insurance company says he hit an elk (hirsch) and must report it to the police, which he has done. Apparently, if the police can find the dead elk and trace it back to him, he must pay a large fine.

Never having had the misfortune to hit anything myself (knock on wood!), it seems rather implausible that he could have hit an animal as large as an elk and only be missing a small piece of plastic off the front of the car. My daughter says that she didn't hear any loud noises or such while on the phone to him. It only sounded like a large bug hitting the windshield. If it makes any difference, he drives a BMW.

Is it possible to hit an elk and not know it???

Posted

I love your final sentence, MunichMom! :)

Posted

Hm. An elk is a fairly substantial animal, and I imagine that if bf had hit one it would be a memorable experience. Considering that a collision with a mere boar leaves your car looking like homegrown shit

post-4788-13558621947377.jpg

I can easily theorize that an elk would cause more damage than just missing a bit of plastic.

Take the car around to the police and make them analyze the damage/animal DNA/antlers rammed into the chassis before accepting any fine.

P.S. I have driven a BMW and had a sparrow hit my windshield at 100 km/h (well, the car - I don't know the speed of a European or African sparrow not carrying coconuts), and the thud was like the crack of doom.

Posted

I honestly can't imagine anyone hitting an elk and not noticing.

I used to live in a rural area of Canada with plenty of deer and elk, and the fear was never about hitting deer; sure, they'd ruin your car, but you'd also have a pretty much guaranteed chance of walking away. With elk, however, I was always advised that it'd be better to hit the ditch and flip than hit an elk because of the likelihood it'd go through your windshield, (possibly) killing you. (Long legs, or something)

I've (obviously) never hit an elk, but I cannot imagine ever that you would not notice hitting one.

Out of curiosity, how did they determine it was an elk? Could there have been any misunderstanding where it was meant it was a different animal?

EDIT: In regard to what sarabyrd said: my step-mother hit a fox and wrote her car off. Just to give you an idea...

Posted

If the Elk got his number, he is in deep shit!

Posted

Did they take DNA could have been anything. My car got hit by a brick coming off a truck one day.If you do hit a ELK best to put it in the boot then and order the "Das Autoban Roadkill Cook Book" on Amazon.

Posted

It may have been the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannogpost-4788-13558625958474.jpg

Yes, exactly. :)

Posted

There is no (big) fine if you have an accident with an animal.

In case of a damage at your car, your insurance will have to pay for the repair (Teilkaskoversicherung) In order to make a claim the insurance usually demands a police report/testimony that your car has been hit by (certain species of ) wildlife,such as an hare or a badger, fox, elk. (Haarwild).

In Germany, a hunter has a certain hunting district for which he has to pay an annual fee, in revanche he has the right of exploitation. If you fail to tell him that there is road kill and hence he isn't able to recover and use this road kill you could (very unlikely) be held responsible for his loss , the value of the meat only.

Posted

If you do hit a ELK best to put it in the boot then and order the "Das Autoban Roadkill Cook Book" on Amazon.

Please note: this would constitute the offence of poaching.

No, you must immediately call the friend/acquaintance that lives nearest to the place of the accident and let them take the thing [to your] home. Oh, and probably buy the local hunter a drink.

[Disclaimer: this is not legal advice, it is just common sense]

Posted

Is it possible to hit an elk and not know it???

I doubt it. My sister hit a deer and the car was totalled. At what speed was he traveling?

My old roommate ran over a human while on the freeway. Is he sure it wasn't that? :unsure:

Posted

I did drive between two big Kangaroos having a chat in the middle of the road one night in Australia at around 120KPH that was close. Also an eyeballs pop out emercency stop for a horse.

Posted

I ran over a whole train one time. Top that. ;)

Posted

I knew a queer sparrow that flew backwards for a lark! beat that!

Posted

I was a waiter at the "Last Supper", top that.

edit, How'd you like the tip?

Posted

He must have, He sure as hell didn't share it with us dishwashers.

Posted

I can't see how some could hit an elk and not know it either, those animals are huge (even the "small" ones)

But "Hirsch" is more the generic term for the family mammals that include elk, various species of small deer, Moose etc…) so maybe it was "only" a small deer, but even then, I'm sure you would notice hitting one

Posted

Usually even trains are damaged when hitting a deer, so I highly doubt it was that...

Posted

Well, if you only have damange to the bumper, then he didn't hit an elk (unless it was already flat on the street (and even then....).

Probably he hit some small animal (a cat, a fox, possum?).

Hopefully, for the animal, it was over quick.