Pregnant and Moving to Hofheim

19 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi everyone,

My husband and I just bought a house in Hofheim and Taunus and will be moving in February. We have lived in Cologne for the past seven years, my husband is German so my German is ok but I am eager to meet English speakers. By the time we move I will be 37 weeks pregnant with our first child so I am expecting a busy and possibly daunting few months ahead!

Anyway, my enquiry is two fold. Firstly, I was wondering whether anyone can recommend a gynecologist and a midwife in Hofheim as obviously I will need to have this sorted before we get there? I was also wondering if anyone has experience with hospitals in the area and can make a recommendation for this too? We are planning to go and look at hospitals after Christmas but obviously first hand accounts are extremely valuable.

Secondly, I was wondering if there are any other English speaking mums with babies in the area that might want to meet up when we arrive? I hsve looked at joining the British Club of the Taunus but I guess the first few weeks or even months after we arrive might be a bit tough. I'm leaving a good group of friends in Cologne and would like to avoid being a hermit as much as possible after we move!

I hope to hear from someone out there soon! Frohe Weihnachten everyone! :D

Posted

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I'm in Mainz, so I don't have any recommendations with regards to the midwife/hospital situation around Hofheim, but here are a couple of sites you might want to look into:

Expat Babies Frankfurt http://www.expatbabies.com/frankfurt/find/activities-groups/1234/

This is a direct link to a page that lists activities and groups in the area. The American Women's Club of the Taunus (affiliated with

the British Club you mentioned) is on there, as well as the Thursday lunch for Mums & Bumps that's posted here on Toytown (in meet-ups, I

think). There are some other English playgroups listed on the Expat Babies website, too. They have a FB page as well.

Kidsgo Family Magazine (German language): http://www.kidsgo.de/

Check under the "Termine" tab to see a "Hebammenliste" (listing of midwives with their contact info). Here's the direct link:

http://www.kidsgo.de/termine/hebammenverzeichnis.php?regionId=8 It shows some "extras" the midwives offer and lists if they speak

another language (including English). It also lists classes of all kinds--for pregnant women, Rueckbildung, Krabbelgruppen, music, etc.

Those kinds of classes offer a nice setting to make new friends, especially ones who have kids the same age as your child. Just click

around to find what you're looking for. Kidsgo is a great resource, and everything's online, but I found it much easier to have a

paper copy in hand to get an overall picture of what's offered. Here's a link that lists where you can find print copies:

http://www.kidsgo.de/ueberkidsgo/verteilstellen.php

Kuckuck Family Magazine (German language): http://www.kuckuck-magazin.de/

This is a link to the main page. Click on the Frankfurt edition to see general family-friendly happenings listed in their events

calendar. There is always a page that lists the emergency numbers (although that might not help you since you're not in Frankfurt

itself).

Kindersachenbasars: http://www.kindersachenbasar.net/termine.html

This website is super helpful and lists baby bazaars in the area (just fyi--pregnant women usually get in early). I believe it's for all

of Germany, but most listings are for the Rhein-Main area. Most bazaars tend to take place in fall (for winter clothes) and spring (for

summer clothes), and the listings in green Selbstverkaeuferbasars) are ones where people sell their own things. The listings in red

(Abgabebasars) are where everything is pre-sorted by categories onto different tables, and you pay for everything at a giant check-out as

you leave instead of directly with the seller.

Hospital Info Evenings: I know one of the hospitals in Mainz offers free, regular info evenings on different topics (ie breastfeeding,

Elternzeit/Elterngeld, communicating with your baby, etc.) They are open to any parents, regardless of whether you're planning on

delivering there or not. You might check and see if any hospitals in Cologne (or closer to where you are now) offer any classes like

this now if you're going to be so far along when you move.

I hope that helps get you started. Best of luck with your move and the rest of your pregnancy!

Posted

Thank you for all the recommendations, there's certainly a lot to look into. The list of the Hebammes is especially useful for now and I'll definitely check out some of the other sites in more detail once my little man has made an appearance. There's so much to think about and plan with a baby, I'm not sure how people did it all in the pre-net days! :-)

Posted

Hi.

I live in Hofheim with my German wife and daughter. We have no 2 on the way about the same time as you. My wife found it difficult to get a local hebamme but do try.

We would be happy to meet up when you guys get here and help you find your way around Hofheim. We have a small circle of friends living nearby with at least one english speaking partner and small kids.

Can you say which part of Hofheim you will be living in? It's quite a spread out place.

BobD

Posted

Hi BobD,

Thank you for your message. It's interesting what you say about Hebammes as it is proving a bit of a struggle, after countelss calls we think we might have found someone though so fingers crossed. It seems that there's a bit of a baby boom happening next spring!

We will be moving to Breckenheimer Strasse on Rosenburg in Hofheim, which I believe is about a 15 minute walk from the town centre. Is this anywhere near you? It seems like a really nice place and I'm glad to hear that there is an expat community (I've also had a message from your friend Paul!).

I would definitely like to meet you and your family when I arrive and really appreciate the offer. Looking forward to it!

Claire

Posted

Hi Claire,

I live in Kriftel (just next to Hofheim), first son will be 2 in March and baby number two is due in May :)

I can recommend Dr Symon http://www.frauenaerzte-im-netz.de/aerzte/arzt_1946.html

and Theresa Gottselig http://www.hebammenpraxis-pregnant.de/kontakt.php

who are both in the centre of Hofheim. Not sure how good either of their English is, as I only speak German to them, but Theresa did work in the US a bit, so could translate some words I didn't know.

Good luck with the move. I have most Mondays off work and will be on maternity leave from the start of April, so let me know when you're here and we can meet up. Would be good to meet you too Bob!

LG, Laura

Posted

Hi Loops,

We live across the road from the swimming pool in Kriftel and have a 3.5 yr old boy and his sister who will has her 1st Birthday on Saturday. Been friends with BobD since both our 1st babies were a few months old.

Surprised we have not bumped into you before but would be happy to meet up whenever convenient. PM me for full email/phone.

Best

P

Posted

I also live in Kriftel, not so far away from the swimming pool. I'm probably a little younger than you (23) but miss having some English speaking friends here. So if you want you can contact me on PM to talk more :)

Posted

Hi, Claire.

I live in Hofheim and have 3 small kids, and would be happy to meet you/help you out when you arrive. Just send me a PM (for full info) and we can chat more. I also saw your post on expatbabies.

As for the hebamme recc above, Theresa Gottselig is very good but her partner is NOT. Nonetheless, you should find your hebamme as soon as possible, even before you arrive here.

A friend of mine in Eppstein (next town) just had her first baby last week, I could put you in touch with her as well.

Also to Loops/Laura -- maybe we could meet up with our 2 year olds sometime? I also know phollen and BobD.

Posted

Sounds like quite a few English speakers are around Hofheim and with similarly aged kids. It would be good to meet up with more of you.

With cold, wet weather it is not so easy, but if anyone has any ideas, please share. Otherwise, I guess we would need to wait for the temperature to get a bit warmer and dryer for meeting at one of the many spielplatz around Hofheim or Kriftel.

@yogermany, help me out, do we know each other from the Alphabet e.V?

B

Posted

@bobD, yes! aren't you a's dad?

Posted

I am indeed. "...when worlds collide..."

See you Saturday.

Posted

Hi Everyone,

Looks like this place is a bit of a magnet for the English speakers with young families. Not too surprising considering the ease of getting to the business hubs combined with child friendly amenities.

Echo BobD with the crappy weather meaning everyone is dealing with stir crazy kids, I was briefly at the kriftel park yesterday and it's a total mudbath with the raging torrent of the schwarzbach thundering in the background!

For the 3+ yr olds BobD & myself have been going to alphabet e.V. on Saturday mornings since September and its great opportunity to give the kids and parents a meetup, maybe an under 3 playgroup could be informally added?

Once the weather improves, I'm sure we will be meeting up with you all at all the parks/speilplatze but in the meantime, 2 indoor play zones: halligalli in Kelkheim and Rambazamba in Mainz are good (if pricey) options as well as T2 at the airport.

PM me, BobD or yogermany if you haven't already done so to to get the details of everything mentioned.

Posted

Wow, I'm really looking forward to some nice weather and an expat meet up at the park :)

The little man has managed to come down with another bug, so we wouldn't want to infect anyone right now :rolleyes:

Posted

Oh, and I meant to add - Theresa's partner is on maternity leave at the moment, so that shouldn't be a problem!

Posted

Hi, just joined tt and also live opposite kriftel swimmng pool. Lots of English in Hofheim and Kriftel and think you will be quite happy here. Its not London but still good fun. Came from London originally and been here for quite a few years and still happy!

Posted

Hi again everyone,

Wow, it sounds like there is a really vibrant English speaking community in the Hofheim/Kriftel area. It would be great if we could organise a mass local meet up once the weather has improved and all the imminent babies have arrived. Let's use this thread to keep in touch and connect in a few months.

It has certainly made me feel a lot better about moving. I just finished at work a few days ago so have been somewhat mourning the loss of my old life but from the looks of it there is going to be plenty to do once I move!

I look forward to meeting you all soon!

Claire :-)

Posted

Hi everyone, me and my wife along with 1 year old recently moved to Hofheim, not too far from the kriftel swimming pool :-)

would be great to know more folks in the area.. cheers

Posted

Hi onlymehere,

We live over the road from the pool. Lots of english speaking parents here and look up Alphabet E.V. facebook page for the reading classes they do.

Cheers

P