Moving to UK

19 posts in this topic

Posted

My family and I are moving to subarbs of Birmingham in coming months.We have been living in Gemany for the last 9 years but are moving now to start a new career.I am never good with changes.So the good people of Toytown,do you have suggestions to make the transition easier.Anybody from Birmingham here?

I am from South Asia and can speak English but German languge is still in intermediate levels.I think the main reason to move is to live in a place with no language barrier.But on the other hand,i always felt like a failure for not making enough effort to learn German properly.

Posted

This is a site from the Birmingham Tourist Board:

http://www.birminghamitsnotshit.co.uk/

My Granny used to live in Solihull, Marston Green.

Posted

I lived for 12 years in Shirley (also part of Solihull).

You don't say whereabouts in the suburbs you'll be moving to, but the south side of the city has some quite pleasant districts and is close to the hilly, Warwickshire countryside as you head towards Henley-in-Arden, Stratford-on-Avon or Warwick.

Posted

Mmmm, avoid Northfield and Weoley Castle, both very poor areas and kinda scary - I lived there for a year, didn't like it!

Selly oak is nearly all students...

The centre is quite nice, Egbaston is posh, although there are some students halls of residence there too.

My brother lived in Birmingham for just over a decade and loved it; mainly in and around King's Heath and Harbourne.

Can't really fill you in on other areas, but I'm sure others can :)

Birmingham's ok. It is not a beautiful city and not without crime, but it isn't particularly dangerous, poor or ugly.

It is a pretty diverse city with a large number of people who come from, or whose families originate in, the Indian subcontinent, and also a large SE asian population. I remember good Asian supermarkets and good restaurants.

There are a few train lines with stops throughout the city and pretty good bus services - not the easiest place to get around; no tubes or s-bahns, but still, fairly easy. Lots of canals, some of which have been refurbished - can a canal be refurbished? perhaps I mean redeveloped - rather nicely.

Some of the surrounding countryside is very nice. If you have a car you can get to Shropshire in about an hour (from the west) - which is the best place in the world, if you like hills.

Other advice... go to the sealife centre; do not let the geese steal you cherry tomatoes, especially as it turns out they can't manipulate cherry tomatoes into their beaks anyway. Or, if you want a laugh, watch a goose chasing a cherry tomato along the canal bank... the sealife centre is really good. The Birmingham eye, if it is still there, is less than inspiring, though.

Um, and enjoy the UK! It is not so bad :)

Posted

Does anyone in Brum speak English??

Posted

The home of the "Birmingham Screwdriver"...

A chisel :)

Posted

Spent many a happy time working in Hall Green area (South of Birmingham). Between here and the center is a big (BIG) asian population, mainly Pakistan/India. Also a big chinese area near the main coach station. Food of all sorts can be bought.

Getting around, the bus service is good and cheep (if i recall 3.80 per day cheaper for weekly tickets). Shame that it does not include the trains any more.

If I can be of help, contact me... I am based in FFM. Though just about to go back to Blighty for Xmas hols.

BTW if you would like a cup of tea in birmingham you need to ask for "A kipper tie"

Posted

Thanks for the comments people.We will be moving to solihull.I live in frankfurt with ubahns and bus stops right at my door step so I am not so sure about subarbs.Lets see how it goes.

Posted

I was born in Birmingham and lived there for around 30 years, seeing it deteriorate, I have no desire to return, ever...

btw, Solihull is not part of Birmingham, it's a separate metropolitan borough...

Posted

The home of the "Birmingham Screwdriver"...

A chisel

It's actually a 'Brumagem screwdriver' and it's a hammer, not a chisel...

Posted

That's a bit rich, coming frae a Jock... :P

Posted

You won't hear that many Brummagem accents in Solihull....

I lived in Birmingham for eight years (I was a student there and stayed on for a while) and have very fond memories. We lived in the Moseley area, but OH worked in Solihull for a while. This was back in the eighties, but Solihull was definitely considered "posh" and people from Solihull (including my boss) got very upset if you described them as coming from Birmingham!

Solihull was very much a town in its own right then, with a reasonably sized town centre with its own shops, supermarkets, cinemas etc. I think that if you live there you probably don't need to go into Birmingham that much although Birmingham has a lot to recommend it - decent repertory theatre, orchestra, good shopping, great food and these days the city centre is a lot prettier than it was!

Posted

All joking aside, you may have a great deal of trouble understanding the local accent.

'E's cowin' roit there.

Posted

I grew up just outside Birmingham and the city has changed immeasurably over the past 15 years. Many of the changes are good: Complete redevelopment of the city centre, lots of nice new bars & restaurants, more pedestrianisation. On the flip side, the social problems are definitely worse than they used to be, there is a lot of tension between the (HUGE) Jamaican and Pakistani communities there, unemployment in the inner city is among the highest in the UK and some areas of the city are very ghettoised.

Solihull is still considered the posh part of town. Along with Sutton Coldfield, they go by the name "Beverly Hills Birmingham". Whilst that is a bit far-fetched, we always used to joke that Solihull was the only part of Brum where they bothered to get out of the shower to go for a piss :D . Chemlsley Wood belongs administratively to Solihull and is a pretty shit area, so definitely steer clear of there!

Traffic in Birmingham is horrible. It is the biggest city in Western Europe without a well-developed mass-transit public transportation network. You will be relying on buses or infrequent (compared to German standards) suburban train services. Something to think about if you're commuting any distance or want to get into town in the evening for a night out.

If you feel a bit peckish in Birmingham, my favourite phrase is "Arm so ungry, ar cud ate a scabby oss".

And of course, the curries there are legendary :rolleyes:

Posted

Moving to UK

Any helpful suggestions?

Don't.

Posted

Well very happy about the curry part.it is,for sure,an attraction:)

Yeah,have heard not so good things about traffic.but i guess in the end,as lots of people suggested,will mainly stay in the solihull area and wont go to the city center anyway.once a week traffic problems can be handled,I hope.

Posted

30 mins - only available until>>10:32PM Wed, 26 Dec 2012

Mark Steel takes a trip to Handsworth in Birmingham to explore reggae and riots, white supremacist gardening, and how takeaway food affects the time space continuum.

"Creating a bespoke stand-up set for each town, and performing in front of a local audience, comedian Mark Steel looks under the surface of some of the UK's more distinctive towns to shed some light on the people, history, rivalries, slang, traditions, and eccentricities that makes them unique."

Enjoy it while you can

2B