Scammed by an eBay seller

66 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,

I have been scammed by an ebay seller.

On September 19, I won an auction for iPhone 4s at 500 euro.

I transferred the money on the very same day to the seller's account.

Big mistake (Don't ask me how can I be so sure, and yes I should have used other means of payments).

Anyway, the point is that I am now following suggestions from our Toytown friends to make use of the small claims court (mahnverfahren).

There is the pdf version of the docs ready to be download.

But I can barely speak German so it is almost impossible for me to fill in the forms and pursue the matter by myself.

So I checked online and found some company offering services I just need, e.g. Mahnfactory.

Has anybody use this kind of service before?

Or should I pursue the matter by myself?

Do you know the procedures?

Or are there any other way to claim my money back?

Thank you very much!

Posted

If you did a simple transfer you can claim the money back via the Bank I think. Why don't you do that?

I wouldn't use some dodgy money claimers to be honest, better to go to the Police..

Posted

If you have online banking, just try reversing the payment. It's probably labelled Lastschriftrückgabe or Lastschriftwiederruf in your online banking menu.

If you paid by Paypal then file a claim and you'll get your money back in 10 days if the seller does not respond/contest.

In any event, file a case with EBay for fraudulent activity.

Posted

Start by contacting Ebay. They are quite serious about fighting scammers and they will probably help you with the legal stuff.

Posted

I have been scammed by an ebay seller.

Whiel I agree that after 12 days or so with no reaction things arent looking goo,d how come you are so sure youve actually been scammed and not that the seller is a dozy so and so who eitehr hasnt got their ass in gear or sent to wronga ddress or so? How do you knwo the package hasnt been nicked en route?

Posted

I already contacted ebay. My case is already listed in the ebay resolution center.

But I am rather sceptic with the help I will receive from ebay.

After all, I was too stupid enough to make the direct payment via überweisung.

I also made the auction with the seller that does not have the Top-verkäufer sign.

These are really two rookie mistakes. So, i have lots of soft spots and ebay might not be abe to help me much.

The only thing I did it right was that strictly I followed the law.

I honored the auction.

The only thing that can put me out of this hole should also be the law...

I will try to fill in the forms for court order by myself (thanks PandaMunich).

Thanks everybody!

Posted

When that happened to me, I just went on the Police website of the city the person was residing and pressed charges online. The police went to the address the person was registered (first I got name and address from ebay) and I got my money back.

Posted

Ebay conflict resolution takes at least few weeks.he can send you a postal box with stone and prove to eBay that he sent you the phone. Beware!

Posted

Oh that's true. Thanks! john paul.

Posted

why don't you just freaking listen to what many people have already suggested, and reverse the order via your bank.

Posted

I am sure if you filed a police report and took that with you to the bank, they can do something about it. Perhaps not fully reverse the funds and give them back to you, but sort of keep it in limbo till the whole mess is sorted out. That way the scammer will have to either deliver the product, or give up claim to the money.

Not sure if I remember this accurately, but I am pretty sure I am able to reverse an Überweisung. I would have to double check to make sure. I think there is just usually a time limit.

Posted

I thought it's impossible to reverse the überweisung ...

I will try it today. Thanks!

Posted

10 days ago when it was suggested, you may have had a chance!

Posted

Hello. I would like to share my experience with being cheated on eBay by a German seller. I have bought a nail UV lamp for 98 EUR on eBay.de site. The item came in different color and dirty. I tried to contact the seller for resolving, finally I sent it back (on my cost) to her but she did not refund the money. I opened a Case in Resolution center, but due to a lack of language knowledge, it was closed without me being able to write any comments. Too late I found out she made comments like "the package came back, but broken so no refund". (even if this was true, it should be a subject for post office claim, not the sender - am I right?) the Seller just played for time with excuses like vacation messages and finally this statement of a broken package. eBay now recommends me to get a legal help, but I am not sure how to do it - I am Czech and I live in Czech republic. So getting lawyer online is a way? I personally disagree with cheaters and arrogant people and though it is not much money I would like to have a justice.

Does anyone have any experience on legal cases againts cheating eBayers? Thank you and cheers!

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Posted

I thought it's impossible to reverse the überweisung ...

10 days ago when it was suggested, you may have had a chance!

The reverse transfer in fact could be initiated 6 weeks after the payment. But there is a catch. Your bank will contact the sellers bank and the sellers bank will request the permission from the seller. There are certain cases when money are charged back without seller consent, but this should be a crystal-clear scam case (not just your, although very well grounded, allegations).

What you need to do - is the go to the police. It some lands police even takes the complaints on the online fraud online (like in Hessen - https://onlinewache.polizei.hessen.de/ow/Onlinewache/nav/e52/e5270023-ae28-3a11-be59-262109241c24.htm).

Otherwise - it is "Online watch" department.

It is unlikely, that you will get your money back, but you will increase police chances of catching the fraudster in the future.

Posted

Hi Guys.

I was wondering if some one could help me or give me some advice.

What happened was, 3 months ago, I put an advert in the newspapers, looking for old color photos (farbdias) that I collect.

A week later i got a really friendly email from a women from Starnberg Germany.

She called her self Ursula and used this email address ara196511@yahoo.com

She told me, that her and her husband had a box of rare color photo slides in their house and would i be interested in buying them.

They told me they had no slide scanner but sent me a very accuarte and detailed description of what was in the slide photos.

a lot more information that a normal person with nothing in the hand, could have done.

so every thing seemed, good we, orgnaised a price of 200 euros plus 5 euros postage for the slides.

the women had kept perfect contact with me nearlly every day.

So she sent me her bank details and of course the same day, i sent the 205 euros to her.

two days later, i emailed her and asked if the money had arrived. she said yes, thanks super and she will post them out the same week.

5 days later, nothing...

i emailed here again and this time she replied and told me, her daughter was in a bad car accident between Starnberg and Munich. And she was in the hospital every day with her poor recovering daughter.

1 week later, i sent a short email to ask what was happening..

nothing...

that is now more than 2 months, i have sent here more than 10 emails and nothing..

I have saved all the emails and also the bank transfer receipt.

I went into my local german police station in Leipzig 2 weeks ago. They told me, there was very little they were prepared to do. and advised me to contact a solictor and go through the civil courts..

But for 200 euros, i dont think that is really feasible?

So any advice guys?

and before people ask, yes i was a complete idiot and didnt get her telephone number or full name!! yes idiot.

so i am to blame as well i know!!

thanks.

Ian

some info....

Ursula

ara196511@yahoo.com

Starnberg, Germany.

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Posted

dude does not have anyone named 'Ursula' on his friend list on FB.

so he is Ursula am guessing.

what was the Verwendungszweck of the bank transfer to Daniel? did you write that it was for a sale?

Posted

FYI Regarless of you being scammed - Posting all that individuals personal information is against the T&C's of this site.

"provides any street addresses, photograph of another person, telephone numbers, e-mail addresses or any other personal information of that kind without consent from that individual;"

Be careful with personal information please!

Posted

Here's an idea. If the descriptions were fake, they were probably cut and pasted from somewhere. Have you tried googling the descriptions? It doesn't get your money back but it might give you a clue if your correspondent was a con artist - and that might help you make a case if you need to later.

On the other hand if the car crash story were true they may just be too upset to deal with this right now.

Posted

Just to correct your post title, they never stole anything from you. You willingly transferred the money to an account. It is just that you haven't yet never received the agreed items from "Ursula". You will need to follow this up with "Ursula", which as you suggest may be difficult if that is not the real name or the email account is now closed.

Reminds me the time when I was about 15, my first pay packet in my hand. Went to go buy some weed, handed my hard earned cash over to some woman who said I'd get the best hooch money could buy. She even gave me her bag as "security". There I was standing there thinking of the Cheech n Chong times to be had, looking inside the bag and finding some junkie street-woman's bag of dirty needles and rags. Then it dawned upon me... that old pearl of wisdom that "fools and their money are easily parted". :rolleyes:

Posted

Did you try messaging either Daniel Giardini or his mother Renate Giardini (also in Rastatt) through Facebook?