Do you believe in talismans?

36 posts in this topic

Posted

Do you believe in talismans?

Objects made with specific intention are often called talismans or amulets. Their purpose is to protect or bring certain luck in chosen areas of life. They represent life forces using symbols present in a collective subconscious of a culture or environment.

They are made from different materials but what really counts is the process of making them and then applying in life.

Some people believe that they should be created by the person who will use it. However it is recommended that the person who makes talisman is familiar with symbols and relation between them.

Do talismans really work?

If something has a meaning for you, it works on your subconscious mind. If you receive a gift with good intention of luck, you very likely will feel something positive.

How talismans may work it is very much connected with our subconscious that is impressed with shape, touch or colour of certain things. We are subconsciously drawn to people, object that represent something what is precious for us, what we like to have in life or the way we like to feel. If talismans have any positive influence in our lives, this may be how they really work.

What are your thoughts?

http://joanna-pilatowicz.hubpages.com/hub/Do-you-believe-in-talismans

Posted

This lucky rabbits foot wasn't very lucky for the rabbit.

post-4342-13557396622751.jpg

Posted

My mum used to say 'does the woman selling white heather look particularly lucky, to you?'

Posted

That is so sexist. Why aren't there any taliswomen?

Posted

From my various travels and travails, I have been given bear claws and barracuda teeth, shark teeth and various animals carved out of bones. What works is that you remember the love, friendship, and concern of the person who gave it to you.

Posted

I think this works well...

post-133917-13557515909163.jpg

Posted

Peter sure does!

Posted

About a hundred years ago I had a Greek boyfriend whose grandmother had given him one of those nazar amulets to ward off the evil eye. In his case the evil eye = migraine headaches. In addition to carrying the amulet at all times, whenever he felt a headache coming on he would phone his granny in Greece and she would go through this process. It was...interesting.

Posted

I now which way the wind is blowing so I am putting Maddy on pre-Flounce Watch!

Posted

While not a talisman, I did carry an amazonite stone in my pocket for a while. I was out with a friend (and friends of hers) for dinner. One of the friends was a psychic healer, or whatever they're called, and he told me to pull one of the pieces of paper out of this bag. On it was written the name of the stone that would help me the most, at that point in time.

I guess the point is that the stone you need (or the paper with its name) would seek you, and that would be the one you would pull out of the bag.

It said amazonite, which he explained would help with financial concerns. I didn't really think about it until we were at a flea market a few weeks later, and there was a stand selling different stones. I figured, "what the hell", and asked if they had that kind of stone. They did, so I bought it and carried it around for a week or so.

If it did anything, my bank account certainly isn't showing it... :P

I don't need something like that, but all in all, I think "to each his own". I don't claim to know what invisible powers are out there, and if an amulet or stone helps someone get through the day, there's certainly worse things they could be doing than that.

Posted

If you put enough energy into an object, and become accustomed to carrying it around with you, it's bound to make you feel more reassured/comfortable/powerful/protected/whatever. We start doing this as children--some have a favorite blankie, some won't leave the house without their prized truck or dolly or action figure. Then we grow up: some people have lucky drawers, a "power color", a magic breakfast combination, a mantra, etcetera. Ritual and familiarity make us feel more safe and in control.

My personal talismans are my silver jewelry. When the pieces are new, they have no power whatsoever--they're empty vessels. After I wear any given piece continuously for a couple of weeks, I start to notice that I "like" it more. I'm picky about jewelry, so it's unlikely that its appearance begins to grow on me--the reason I bought it in the first place was because I thought it was gorgeous. As a rule, I wear three rings on the left hand and two on the right. The rings I have worn the longest have the most "power" and cannot be sacrificed, they are also the most plain. In a pinch, I can leave the house without the two middle finger rings (which never change, while the ring finger rings are larger and vary according to whim). But I am almost literally unable to function without the ring I wear on my left thumb. I notice it right away, feel not only naked, but insecure without it. I never notice how many times in a day I unconsciously twist and slide it with the other fingers on my left hand, until I go to do it and realize it's not there. Emergency! Panic! Mild, prolonged distraction!

You can make an object with any "intention" you like, but it's the human superstition, suspense of disbelief, tendency to allow ourselves to be shaped by arbitrary perameters, and eagerness to believe our own fairy tales that gives them power. I am 100% positive that I don't need my rings to survive; however, I enjoy them as a projection of my own energy and will to comfort and protect myself. If you want to have a talisman, just choose something small and simple that you like, and carry it around with you. If you believe in such hocus-pocus (as I do) then you will transfer an amount of your good juju into the item, rendering it Lucky and Magical and Restorative or whatever you want. It's all in the mind.

Posted

whenever he felt a headache coming on he would phone his granny in Greece and she would go through this process. It was...interesting.

Way to get your grandchildren to call more often!

Posted

I was on a run of bad luck which kept persisting year after year, and finally culminated in a disastrous wilderness trip where everything went wrong, my husband nearly died, and i fractured my leg - this all happened in the middle of nowhere, 3 days riding from the nearest settlement. (If you want to go back to the 'simple times', you are in danger of experiencing the very reason we try not to live like that any more.)

A week or so later, on the way home, we had a stopover at Moscow airport. I was wandering around the airport killing time, playing "hunt the seating facility", when a smartly dressed woman dropped a coin from her purse as she went past. I picked it up and handed it to her, she looked at it, then handed it back to me with a smile, and said "C'est votre bonne chance." It was a presumably worthless, shiny silver Angolan 1 Kwanza coin.

So I adopted it as my good-luck token and keep it in my jewellery box, I don't really think about it and don't imagine that losing it would be disastrous, but that day was when my luck turned...

Posted

About a hundred years ago I had a Greek boyfriend whose grandmother had given him one of those nazar amulets to ward off the evil eye. In his case the evil eye = migraine headaches. In addition to carrying the amulet at all times, whenever he felt a headache coming on he would phone his granny in Greece and she would go through this process. It was...interesting.

You would be surprised to know that a huge majority (mostly in Greece, Turkey and Cyprus) still believes in this crap (people of all ages !)

They say that the common sign that you are under the "evil eye" is when you have headache and feeling sleepy.

Usually the person will call someone who know the proccess and de-evil-eyeze the person.

The person after the process notices an immediate progress.

I started talking about Placebo effects, etc once trying to explain, but it was a waste of breath, time,... :lol:

Posted

This was in the early 80's and he sure believed in it. His granny was a force to be reckoned with, no one *ever* messed with her. :lol:

Posted

This was in the early 80's...

Still very common in Greece, lots of people carry little blue beads on keys and hanging from their car mirrors, etc. to ward off the evil eye. It's also still all a load of bollocks.

Posted

They say that the common sign that you are under the "evil eye" is when you have headache and feeling sleepy.

So being under the 'Evil Eye' means having a job... :blink:

Posted

Whenever I hear the word Talisman, I remember that game and treasure hunt book for Talismans scattered across the Isle of Wight. http://mocagh.org/miscgame/spiritstones1st-guide.pdf

Posted

Talismans are superstitious stupid trinkets kept by unscientific people who believe in fairy tails.

However I'd still be very upset if I lost mine.

Posted

After the yearly pilgrimage to German friends for the dreaded "Karpfen", cellophane-wrapped carp scales are duly handed out to attendees. Apparently, keeping this scale tucked away in a purse or wallet is supposed to bring good financial health for the year.

And the most obvious anagram for carp is ...

Posted

...who believe in fairy tails.

I don't think Fairies HAVE tails...

post-133917-13557818249623.jpg