When can I start driving?

29 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi,

I currently don't have any driver's licence at all and would like to get one as soon as possible when I move to Germany. In some countries you have to have been living in the country for about a half year before your allowed to take the driving test. Is this the case with Germany as well?

Posted

Hi reddit,

I am not aware of a waiting period, but if you have license at all, you have to take the written and driving test, and of course take driving lessons. You have to take a certain amount of those, if you want more because you don't feel comfortable yet, you can do so. By the time you go through all these things including studying for the written test, it will be a few months anyways. Costs: Approx. 2000 Euros give or take depending on how many driving lessons, fees, how many times you take the written test etc.

Posted

Hello reddit and welcome to Toytown

When you know how long a piece of string is we'll know when you can start driving.

The particular case that will apply to you will depend on many factors you haven't bothered to mention.

So you want a drivers licence as soon as possible,eh?

Well, we TTers are generally a helpful and friendly bunch, but we cannot be expected to waste our time guessing what your needs are, so please just feel free to cut and paste the words "driving in Germany" into the box at the top right of your screen.

Then click on the blue panel beside it marked SEARCH.

By magic,a list of 93(including yours!!)Topic titles related to this subject will appear.

If you have the time and patience to run your eye over them you will find several that include all the info you may need on this matter.

If you don't have the time or patience for that then it is quite unlikely you will be ever be able to start driving in Germany.

2B

Posted

Hi again,

There seem to have emerged a confusion as to what I meant. In Sweden, where I come from, you are not allowed, by law, to take the driving test unless you've been registered with the Swedish authorities as a resident in Sweden for at least 6 months. This means that if you move to Sweden you are not allowed to take the test for the first 6 months. I've been told that this law is common in some other European countries as well and I was wondering if this is includes Germany. I am not asking anyone to guess when I'll be able to pass the exams, just asking about the legal status.

HTH :)

Posted

I have never heard of such a law, but then I am not really a traveller!

However, I can´t help but wonder why you don´t take a driving test in Sweden since you are already there? Surely it would be easier in your "own" language than in German?

Posted

if you already have a swedish driving licence, you can drive here too.

otherwise, i think there is no such "cool off" period. you can apply immediately, if you are over 18 years of age.

Posted

... you are over 18 years of age.

I think it might be worth mentioning that many regions now allow you to start learning to drive when you are 17 years old already!

Since Reddit hasn´t mentioned his age on his profile, I can´t say if this would apply to him...

Posted

We found that the younger the better.

post-121563-13555605761417.jpg

post-121563-13555605771618.jpg

post-121563-13555605783105.jpg

Posted

Just did that.

By the looks of it not 1 of those 93 topics actually answer his question.

You are correct, Keleth, but a bit harsh on 2B, methinks. He responded to the OP rather politely and requested the young man do some research first. Nothing wrong with that. How often do people sign up here, and post the same old question... can I bring my American bought electronics to Germany?.. I recently lost my contract job, can I remain here?... I want to move to Germany, without speaking German... without any research being done beforehand? Loads! And I've often seen 2B provide great assistance to these people, regardless. But it does wear on ones tits.

Personally, I do research a forum before posing a question to see if it can be answered more quickly in that manner and would hope others would too. Sadly, they don't.

Again, I think 2B acted in a friendly, yet stern manner and requested the young man do some research first.

Just my 3-pfennig valued opinion. :)

Have a nice weekend.

Posted

Thanks for the clarification, reddit.

I too have never heard of any such mandatory waiting period being applied in Germany, but there again I already held an exchangeable UK licence when I arrived here in 1984. Of course the laws are in continual flux, but most people seem to arrive with either a driving licence which they can use (EU) or exchange (some non-EU) or needing to take lessons and theory and practical tests. In cases covered by laws allowing the temporary use of certain foreign permits or the time needed for taking classes and tests any waiting time requirements may well become de facto moot.

Just did that.

By the looks of it not 1 of those 93 topics actually answer his question.

Or do you expect someone new to the site to sit and read through probably near 1000 pages of posts to find the answer to his question,especially as many of those pages are very probably full of totally off topic bullshit?

Does it hurt you so much that someone new to the site dares to start a topic asking a very specific question of a supposedly helpful bunch of people?

Do you go to bed at night cursing the fact that there is now an extra topic that has to do with driving in Germany?

Ach, Keleth, whether any, or how many, of the other related 92 topics actually may include the answer to the OP's question apparently remains a matter of speculation to you as 'By the looks of it' is not an advanced site search parameter option.

Or do you expect someone new to the site to sit and read through probably near 1000 pages of posts to find the answer to his question,especially as many of those pages are very probably full of totally off topic bullshit?

No!

Do you expect someone new to the site to be helped in any way to get closer to an answer to his question by having the opportunity to sit and read additional totally off topic bullshit such as that which made up your post?

Does it hurt you so much that someone new to the site dares to start a topic asking a very specific question of a supposedly helpful bunch of people?

No!

Does it not occur to you that the opening of fresh threads to ask each individual question related to a common topic merely adds to the (probably 66% IME) number of superfluous and redundant topic titles which exacerbates the problem every new member faces in finding archived information?

Do you go to bed at night cursing the fact that there is now an extra topic that has to do with driving in Germany?

No!

Do you get up in the morning rejoicing at the fact that you have discovered a new hair to split on the internet?

I think my post may be read to be general advice to any future readers on basic TT archive searching. Of course, there are many tricks one can add to that in order to refine the results, such as the use of the google-powered site search or the full or advanced search options which show up with the quick search results.

In any case the OP doesn't seem to have got as irritated as you did by my post and his response has added to our knowledge of his needs so perhaps now others who have more recent experience may choose to add more helpful input.

No need to rush to respond to the rhetoric questions, Keleth, as

2B ...is now off to have a ...?.. 59th!

Posted

You are correct, Keleth, but a bit harsh on 2B, methinks. He responded to the OP rather politely and requested the young man do some research first. Nothing wrong with that. How often do people sign up here, and post the same old question... can I bring my American bought electronics to Germany?.. I recently lost my contract job, can I remain here?... I want to move to Germany, without speaking German... without any research being done beforehand? Loads! And I've often seen 2B provide great assistance to these people, regardless. But it does wear on ones tits.

Yes people do do that a lot (UK TV channels appears to be a favourite one especially).

However here was a question that I and probably many others have never seen on this board or anywhere else for that matter.

germanyherewecome pretty much answered his query with the 1st reply.

2B gives a guide to searching pretty much dripping with sarcasm even though 2B himself doesn't actually appear to have properly read the post.2B then decides that the OP hasn't actually asked a question that is understandable even though his question was already answered.To ghwc it was understandable,to me it was understandable.The OP may well have actually searched every thread word for word and wouldn't have found his answer but 2B is not to know this as he doesn't understand the question.

Also if I see 6 threads on the page all about driving in Germany or whatever I just don't bother reading them.I'm not a mod and it doesn't bother me as I don't have to do anything about it.

Can I ask you why it gets on your tits if someone asks a question that has been asked countless times before?

Surely just avoiding the thread would be the best thing rather than letting it get to you?

Posted

while we are on the subject I arrived here in Germany 18 years ago and was wondering am I allowed to use my UK (it says EU on it ) driving licence and if so for how long?

Posted

Yes and forever or until it expires.

Even though I haven't had a car for a few years I still have my old pink paper driving licence.I was told though that if I got a straffe which included having points on my licence then I would be required to have my licence converted to a German one.

Posted

Those of us with old licenses have until 2033 to switch to the EU card format so there's still lots of time.

Posted

Hi,

I currently don't have any driver's licence at all...

if you already have a swedish driving licence, you can drive here too.

:blink:

Posted

@ timezoner

It may depend on the type, and date of issue, of your UK licence. I exchanged a UK (green on white) licence for the old-style grau lappen. At the time I arrived, (and AFAIR until the EU licences were introduced) you were allowed to drive in Germany with a UK licence for up to one year. The law then required you to have obtained a certified translation from the ADAC, 2 B&W passport photos and then exchanged your licence within that first year of residence for a German Führerschein. Several discussions on TT deal with this specific issue and include links to official sources of accurate information. In spite of the commonly reiterated fallacy that threads are too full of off-topic BS to navigate, it's easy enough to locate posts in long threads by putting your key words into the topic search box (bottom left of each page).

@ Keleth

As you seem fascinated by my input on this thread I'll give you the benefit of a couple of minutes of my life. However I expect you to have the courtesy of taking my word as confirmation for you that my comprehension abilities are in no way as minimalist as you appear to assume.

2B gives a guide to searching pretty much dripping with sarcasm* even though 2B himself doesn't actually appear to have properly read the post.

I was with you up to *here, but your following assumption was flawed as I had indeed properly read (as in read, comprehended, assessed and understood the meaning of) the post, title and subtitle.

2B then decides that the OP hasn't actually asked a question that is understandable even though his question was already answered... The OP may well have actually searched every thread word for word and wouldn't have found his answer but 2B is not to know this as he doesn't understand the question.

I'm impressed by your abilities in mind-reading - not! In fact I understood the OP'S question very well, but also understood that until further info was forthcoming from him there was little need to add to what germanyherewecome had already stated quite eloquently. Meantime he could have profited by spending a little time exploring the TT archive. I have very little doubt that, if he had simply skimmed through a dozen threads, he could have found several detailed descriptions of the entire procedure he would have to go through in order to obtain a permit to drive in Germany ASAP.

Also if I see 6 threads on the page all about driving in Germany or whatever I just don't bother reading them.

I am not at all surprised by that statement, albeit I personally would be ashamed to think, leave alone admit, that I was so intellectually idle.

Oddly you have no qualms about wasting your time pouring scorn on others for choosing to encourage young people to exercise their intellect.

I hope that's satisfied your need for my attention as I'm done with wasting time on your nit-picking of this immaterial aspect of social interchanges on the internet.

:)

2B

Posted

I am not at all surprised by that statement, albeit I personally would be ashamed to think, leave alone admit, that I was so intellectually idle.

So not reading threads when they obviously have nothing new in them makes someone intellectually idle.

Ergo reading threads makes someone intellectually active?

That is the 1st time I have ever heard reading threads on TT equated with being intellectual.

Oddly you have no qualms about wasting your time pouring scorn on others for choosing to encourage young people to exercise their intellect.

You were not encouraging someone to exercise their intellect.

You were being a sarcastic fuck.

I have no problem with sarcastic fucks,however sarcastic fucks who couch being sarcastic behind exercising peoples intellect are laughable.

People like Chocky,Spiderpig etc always get complained about for being sarcastic or rude but at least they don't hide themselves by claiming to be intellectually challenging people.

Posted

Will the two of you stop clogging this thread with off topic stuff. If you want to go back and forth with each other , do it in PMs .

Op your question has already been answered. There is no minimum period (that most of us know about) to have held residence in Germany before you can apply for a license. Most of the time you are requires to convert your previous license within 6months of moving to Germany.

Posted

Hiya, I didn't read thru' all the answers, too many off topic, sorry.

Just to say, I don't think the countries in which you could potentially do your driving test in stipulate that you have lived there for a minimum of 6months (although it's possible), but I do know for sure that Germany will not accept a driving licence from someone who sat their test in a country they didn't live in at the time.

And I presume to be considered 'living' in that country, the six-months-rule might apply.

This is to avoid what is termed 'Führerscheintourismus'. People who had lost their German licence would just get a new one in another country, and have that changed over to a German one. The 6-months-rule, where applicable, was introduced to avoid this happening.

I'm aware this doesn't answer the question as to whether you have to have lived in Germany for six months before getting a licence here, but my take on the matter would be NO, that's not the case. Seeing as you will be driving in the same country as you took the test in.

Admittedly, this is an assumption, and should be treated as such!

Posted

According to European Union regulation 2006/126 you have to be a regular resident of the country (spending 185 days p.a. in the country) where you pass your driving test. If you came to Germany for the purpose of studying you aren't considered to be a regular resident unless your stay lasts at least 6 months ( § 7 Fahrerlaubnis-Verordnung).

Posted

Thank you Oblomov, I was afraid of that.

I'm moving to Germany to do a Ph.D. Does that count as 'studying' or 'working'? (or does it depend if I get scholarship vs. getting paid for doing TA duties?) and does the 6 month rule apply even if I'm considered as a 'worker' rather than 'student'?

Posted

Hi reddit,

my apologies to you (and everyone else) for clogging up your thread.

Thanks to Oblomov for finding the relevant paragraph.

Here are links to the German government's law in internet site page dealing with Preconditions for the Issuing of a Drivers Permit plus the relevant paragraph §7.

You can put the URL for any German webpage into the left hand box of Google Translate, set the options to suit Deutsche to English and hit the Übersetzen button and get a rough machine translation. I did that for sub section b ) of §7 below and then tweaked the text enough to make sense.

Voraussetzungen für die Erteilung einer Fahrerlaubnis

§ 7 Ordentlicher Wohnsitz im Inland

(3) Bewerber, die bislang ihren ordentlichen Wohnsitz in einem anderen Mitgliedstaat der Europäischen Union oder einem anderen Vertragsstaat des Abkommens über den Europäischen Wirtschaftsraum hatten und die sich ausschließlich wegen des Besuchs einer Hochschule oder Schule im Inland aufhalten, begründen keinen ordentlichen Wohnsitz im Inland. Ihnen wird die Fahrerlaubnis erteilt, wenn die Dauer des Aufenthalts mindestens sechs Monate beträgt.

Google Translate link

(3) Applicants who previously had their normal residence in another Member State of the European Union or another signatory to the Agreement of the European Economic Area and who are exclusively due to the visit of a college or school in Germany do not establish ordinary domestic residence. They will issue the license if the length of stay is six months.

I understand that to mean that if you can show you will be studying in Germany for more than 6 months then, in spite of you not being considered ordinarily resident, they would issue you a license. Of course you would still need to comply with the other preconditions (studying for, taking and passing the theory and practical tests) as every other resident must too.

Hope that answer helps you now.

2B

Posted

@2B erm I was taking the piss sorry that you went to such lenths I do beg your pardon ;)

Posted

(3) Bewerber, die bislang ihren ordentlichen Wohnsitz in einem anderen Mitgliedstaat der Europäischen Union oder einem anderen Vertragsstaat des Abkommens über den Europäischen Wirtschaftsraum hatten und die sich ausschließlich wegen des Besuchs einer Hochschule oder Schule im Inland aufhalten, begründen keinen ordentlichen Wohnsitz im Inland. Ihnen wird die Fahrerlaubnis erteilt, wenn die Dauer des Aufenthalts mindestens sechs Monate beträgt.

This very cleary states that if you have been resident in another EU / EEG country up to now, you must only fulfil the six-months-criterion if you are only in Germany for the purpose of attending a university/college/school. Because then, you are not considered ordinarily resident here.

This would thus exclude WORKING here. As a PhD student, you receive a salary. So you might well be able to get your driver's licence before the 6-months period is up.