Need some nice nibbles for neighbourhood night

36 posts in this topic

Posted

'Scuse the alliteration - couldn't resist!

Anyway, here's the thing:

I've lived just over a year in a cul-de-sac with four houses. Four families/couples live in those houses, and me as a tenant in one of them. They are all nice people who get along with each other and are all on first name basis with each other, including myself.

Every Christmas season one of the couples arranges a street party with gluehwein, a blazing fire, and snacks, and everyone comes out and we stand around the blazing fire chatting. Last year was my first time and I didn't contribute anything. This year I'd like to. All the women here are the kind who cook and bake and have about 50 sorts of cookies and cakes at Christmas. I hardly ever cook and I never bake. What can I make to bring along that is different - something not typically German but would taste good to Germans, but without meat, not requiring baking, and simple to make even for someone who is not very adept in the kitchen? Ie, finger food. I don't want it to be sweet.

As the party is n Sunday night I need to do the shopping for it by tomorrow! Welcome all suggestions/recipes and thanks.

Posted

Maybe with grapes, quartered figs and pineapple chunks to go with it?

EDIT: what fraufruit said

Posted

Mozzarella/Tomato skewers : http://theenchantedcook.blogspot.de/2011/05/tomato-mozzarella-skewers.html

a great way to have a salat as fingerfood, it is always a big success when we have fingerfood snacks.

Alternative: Skip the basil leaves, and instead of the balsamico dressing sprinkle a ready made pesto sauce.

Both are very tasty, dead easy and quick to make

Posted

You can also use plain Sahne Meerrittich with Panda's if your store doesn't have the flavored cream cheese.

And the skewers are always a big hit as well.

Also drooling...

Posted

How about a nice cheese platter with cubed cheeses and toothpicks? Maybe a few cocktail tomatoes and grapes strewn in?

Maybe with grapes, quartered figs and pineapple chunks to go with it?EDIT: what fraufruit said

Cheese Hedgehog!

Posted

How about pizzabrötchen? Slice some cobs open, make a pizza sauce and add pizza sauce and cheese to each half. Add some sliced peppers, onions, mushrooms etc. under the cheese to make it even better.

Alternatively, you could just make mini- or fullsize pizzas. Takes very little time, although the best recipes tend to call for the dough to be left in the fridge overnight.

Now I'm hungry!

Posted

opps, did she say no meat, how about feta cheese and mint pastries instead :) http://www.tastespotting.com/detail/41978/Feta-Cheese-and-Mint-Phyllo-Pastries

Posted

and no baking either, I need to read better, open sandwiches the ones with french bread, cut them into small slices and put different toppings, like egg salad, tuna and mayo, etc.

Posted

Wow, great suggestions everyne! Guess I'll have to make my mind up overnight and go shopping in the morning. Thanks all, and keep them coming!

Posted

PeterN's link has some great images - I spotted hedgehogs, an armadillo and an anteater - you could take a whole zoo of stuff on sticks. It sounds like a lovely neighbourhood, hope you have lots of fun.

Posted

How about a speedy humous? No cooking involved and very fast to make. This is the recipe I use:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/quickhummousandolive_71473

Tried and tested on Germans!

Posted

Ha! I just made this today for myself and as I was dipping my bread in it a while ago, I thought about this thread.

Posted

I LOVE humous! But never had it in Germany. I don't have a food processor - can it be made by hand? I'd borrow my landlady's but I think she needs it for cookie baking!

Think ill go with the hedgehog AND the humous.

Posted

What about cut-up raw veggies with a dip?

Cherry tomatoes and mozzarella balls on toothpicks?

If it doesn't have to be finger food what about chili (there are veggie varieties) or some sort of hearty soup?

Posted

what about spring roll banana? super easy to make it and very yummy.or even japanese cheesecake:)

Posted

I can give you a to die for brownie recipe which might be the only reason I have a job right now....Or you could do party wraps...they seem to be a hit by my team. I work in a call center and we have a breakfast once a month for those with birthdays. Wraps are fairly easy and require no baking, they don't last long with my team...even when I made vegetarian ones they were gone just after lunch time. Yes, I am surprise but apparently some american dishes go over well with the germans.