Nordic winter wear

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi, I am thinking of going to Svalbard or Tromso during the next 2-3 months. Temperatures are around -10 at the moment, but I will research that further. I am looking for tips as to good places to buy appropriate winter wear for extreme winter weather: jackets, gloves, boots, inner-wear etc etc. I live in Goettingen, but am happy to travel to Berlin/Hamburg if necessary. Perhaps there is something online? Thanks, Suresh

Posted

Hi.

I used to buy most of my winter work wear in Norway(tax free) or Sweden. Better quality at cheaper prices-they always seem to be having sales for some reason or other.

Cheers

Posted

Thanks for the tip! I guess I could consider going there and buying stuff...

Posted

When in Rome!

I don't know how you are getting to Tromso but I always drove up north so it was never a problem stopping in Gothenburg,Oslo or Bergen.

Posted

I was in a Scandinavian outdoor shop a few weeks ago and the phrase "cheaper prices" is making my head spin. Even if you take off the 10% or so tax refund (if you can be bothered to go through that palaver to get your money back) the prices were still ball-whincingly expensive. With the euro as weak as it is now, buying abroad in a different currency is rarely going to be the cheaper option. The "better quality" argument also doesn't really stack up since about a third of the brands in a German outdoor store are the Scandinavian ones.

Posted

Try Lands' End (www.landsend.de) or Eddie Bauer (www.eddiebauer.de)

For cold weather their silk long underwear is unbeatable (it's warm without being bulky-- and dries really quickly afer being washed out.) The stuff is not cheap but is very good quality and is extremely comfortable.

As for Nordic sweaters-- actually L.L. Bean has some-- and even with the taxes and shipping it is probably cheaper than actually buying something like that in Norway. I love Norway (I have family there and have visited the cuntry a few times) but it is also a very expensive country! I liked some of the sweaters but their price tags did not like me!

Coats-- Do you have a Helly Hansen outlet near you? I believe that brand is Norwegian. I bought a HH coat and some ski/snow pants 10 years ago and they are still in perfect shape.

Posted

Hi.

I used to buy most of my winter work wear in Norway(tax free) or Sweden. Better quality at cheaper prices-they always seem to be having sales for some reason or other.

Cheers

The problem with this is that you must export the goods in an unused condition in order to get the VAT back.

The facts below are taken from: http://www.visitnorway.com/uk/What-to-do/Shopping-in-Norway/Tax-free-shopping-in-Norway/

Fast facts

In Norway, sales tax/VAT is included in the retail price and amounts to 25% of the price tag, of which 20% is VAT (the amount refunded when shopping tax free). For food the rate is 14%.

The goods must be exported in unused condition within a month of purchase.

The Tax Refund Service is applicable to all EU residents provided they live outside Sweden, Denmark and Finland, and all travellers coming from outside Europe.

The minimum purchase amount (set by the government) is NOK 315 on regular goods, and NOK 285 on food (including tax). This applies to goods bought at one retailer on one given day.

Please note that you can only claim VAT refund for goods you will take with you out of the country. Services are therefore not included, nor is food you consume during your stay.