Weird phonecall about neighbour owing money

13 posts in this topic

Posted

I just had this foreign guy phoning up speaking broken German saying he is from the Arbeisagentur Schöneberg and can I go and see if a neighbour he didn't name is there because it is about a Rechung for 40000 Euros and they want to see this person. I put the phone down and went and looked out at the street, there were some weird white vans with OHV licenceplates blocking the street that drove away slowly right then, might be a coincidence.

So I'm wondering what the hook is here, can't imagine anyone in our house owning that much money, they didn't say which neighbour. This sounds extremely fishy, maybe its a burglar team. Anyone hear of anything like this going on? I have the number of the caller on my display save. Maybe I will call it back later to see who answers, no luck tracing it online, it has an 03362 vorwahl which is out in Brandenburg.

Posted

"Entschuldigung, woher haben Sie meine Nummer?"

ask him ;)

Posted

Give it to the cops. Tell them there's a fishy looking van outside and your getting odd calls.

Never would a German Government Agency phone anyone not directly concerned with such a matter and disclose personal information. That will only be done in a meeting or by certified mail.

Posted

Was anything taken while you were out?

Posted

It sounds fishy, I wouldn't do anything at all.

Edit: What MLD said - if there's anything in it they should be going through official channels, not disclosing confidential information to random neighbours.

Posted

I called that number back.

Some fluently German and reasonable guy answered and said his name and I told him what happened, told him what had happened and asked him about it, he didn't know anything and wasn't even there at that time today. I suggested that his number had been hijacked if he didn't know anything about it. He said it was probably his younger brother and his friend taking the piss and making crank calls. After repeating the name of his younger brother several times as if I should know him he asked me if he should go ask his brother if it was in fact him who had called? I said yes because i was about to call the cops so off the guy went. He came back and said yes it was the brother and he was very sorry and you know how it is with kids and that they had got my number from the phone book. The odd thing is I didn't hear a conversation in the background, so either he speaks very quietly or he is there is no brother and it was him and he is good with a quick story, unlikely.

Oh well.

My neighbour just told me she doesn't owe anyone 40000.

I guess if I had agreed to do what they wanted i would have been running around looking for some stupid name like Herr A [rsch]. Loch or Herr V[oll]. Idiot in one of the other apartment houses in the street.

Those vans were just a coincidence.

Posted

Well I know the name of the brother now if he makes any more crank calls to me. Maybe next time he crank calls someone he will realise he needs to block his number. Duh!

I feel like giving out his name and number here so you call all take it in turn to crank call him back at 2a.m.

Sheesh. Another day in the life of Toytown.

Posted

If the scenario would have been as you first thought it looked like, then time is of the essence.

No cop would have been pissed off or gotten mad for a genuine honest tip (considering your observations).

It is then for them to investigate and clear up the situation unless of course your Miss Marple or are one of the Famous Five. :unsure:

Posted

Speaking from experience ,there is also a website well known to kids here Marcophono.com http://www.marcophono.com where the kids pick out a theme , type in a phone number and the person being called is then confronted with some weird scenario, for example, I got the' Mullschnüffler' but other themes are 'In ihre Strasse wird gebaut' ' Sie werden beobachtet' Pizza kommt später' etc etc.They really are extremely well done .I got really wound up when some one of my sons' friends called but in the end found out that it was this 'Marcophono ' from my own kids .It is by the way free of charge.

Posted

Yes, Marcophono is well known at our house. Really gets you going for a minute until you figure out that it's a joke.

Posted

Sorry black, but didn't that phone call sounded a little bit weird in the first place? Maybe someone wanted to see you and not a man who was he allegedly looking for.

Posted

Yes that was one of my initial thoughts, I was trying to see the hook and who it was for. In the end it was just a crank call.

I hope.