Navi is missing after children's birthday party

74 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi TT folks,

Our son had a birthday party in October with 8 kids. He goes to an average German Kindergarten with a mix of immigrants and native German kids. I asked the parents to pick up,their kids at 6pm and almost all parents came to pick up their kids at the same time. During the pick-up one of the Turkish fathers picked up an additional gift bag for the older brother of the child invited to the party and we were one gift bag short once all kids were picked up. ( we know who it was because my son's friend, son of this father, told all the kids at Kindergarten about his father taking it and that we surely had extras to give away.) Another one of the kids invited comes from a single Mom family and they live in a 1 bedroom apt, with 2 kids, Harz 4 etc. My son used to play with this child a lot but since the birthday party all invitations and friendly chit chat have stopped. Now 2 days after the birthday party my partner noticed that our old navi system, which was left on a table in the hallway close to the coat rack during the birthday party, was missing. At first we thought our son hid it somewhere or we misplaced it, but after searching the house, and cars and looking everywhere we can not find it after 6 weeks. We have also not had any guests or workmen in the home since then. Now my husband is convinced that the Turkish's child's father has taken our navi and wants me to confront him at the Kindergarten about it

Now the father did later apologize for taking the gift bag, ( claimed his son told him it was ok and did not want the older brother to feel left out, to which i replied well next time just ask so one of the other guests did not go home empty handed ) so I do not think he could have taken the Navi and confronting him would just make things really awkward. ESP since this kid is my son's best friend at the moment. That all being said, my thoughts are now going to the single mom who used to be so friendly to me and now just flees at the sight of me whenever we are doing drop off or pick up at the Kiga. My question is, should I say something or mention it or whatever. The navi itself was 4 years old and outdated but I do miss it now and am mad that it is gone. Of course one of the other 6 other parents cold have also taken it too, but their behavior towards me continues as before, if not warmer and better than ever because we had an awesome party for the kids and everyone had fun. I don't want to address this to anyone else in the Kiga because gossip spreads fast but also feel like I need to "to" something. Any ideas? thanks TT folk

DC

Posted

Sorry I meant to "do" something...

Posted

So, (summing up for my own sake), this 4 year old Navi went missing about 6 weeks ago and you now feel you need to "do" something about it?

How much trouble do you feel its loss is worth making for yourself, your husband, your son, your Kiga acquaintances (I'm supposin' you don't call them friends or you wouldn't have been weighing them up already as suspects) in terms of gossip, possible disruption, bad feeling, mistrust etc.?

I'm thinking at this time of year most of these former party guests will probably be kind of strapped wrt cash for Xmas prezzies, but a diplomatic appeal to the collective community spirit of the parents of 8 kids may just get them to pony up enough to cover the cost of a Navi of similar vintage. I mean, if a 4 year old one is missed so much after not being at home for 1.5 months, new ones must cost hundreds of Euros. You can maybe tell I don't own one and yet am still a very happy Scotsman for having learnt map-reading as a wolf-cub.

Oh my, was I mistaken about the prices as, having checked around, I now see that they seem to have taken a bit of a tumble to between €40 and €110 for Navis of all the top makes available BRAND NEW and right now as Sofort Kaufen items on e-bay! Oh well, that's fantastic as, between 8 of them, they'll surely be able to come up with €5 - €14 apiece. Only drawback being they may start to ask each other whether they've noticed before that you're maybe just a tad careless, thoughtless, slow, greedy or cheap.

Next time you plan on inviting strangers guests of all ages in to your house I suggest you either lock away any- and every-thing you don't wish to risk losing or keep your eagle eyes on your visitors at all times. As far as the lost Navi is concerned, please, at least for the sake of your kid's pride and peace of mind, if not your own:

Just.Forget.About.That.Departed.Navi.Both.Now.And.Forever!!

2B

Edit: Nice idea, DDBug, but I somewhat doubt it'll bear fruit at this late stage.

If an adult stole it then they would have turned it into cash within days if not hours.

If a kid took it then most likely they would've trashed it before mom or pop caught them with it.

Posted

Our son had a birthday party in October with 8 kids.

As its now mid-December I would say its a bit late for any action now...

Posted

I can Imagine it now on a Turkish forum,,,

" Our Little Mustaffa went to a party and robbed a navi system.. what should I do?

1 Ask for the cables that connect to the car?

2 Send Mustaffa back to "play" one afternoon.

3 Sell the Navi on TT?

:lol:

Posted

Stereotype much?

Umm ... wasn't it the OP or her husband who suspected that the thief was the Turkish man?

Posted

or an Immigrant!

But dont forget my Serial Neggers dont have a sense of humour...

It just goes to show that they waste their time reading my posts!! :lol:

Posted

I hate jumping to conclusions too as I never want to make false accusations, no matter how delicately worded, so I usually spend a few months searching the house top to bottom. by the time you reach the conclusion that stuff has walked off, it's kind of too late to go asking. sadly, we've learned the hard way that some kids shouldn't be allowed in our house this way.

Posted

by the time you reach the conclusion that stuff has walked off, it's kind of too late to go asking. sadly, we've learned the hard way that some kids shouldn't be allowed in our house this way.

Since the musket I bought for my then 8 year-old (now 19 year-old) still hasn't shown up, I'm starting to think it might have "wandered off" with one of his friends, but who knows, maybe it will still turn up... :P

Jokes aside, we actually do suspect someone in that case, and did from the very beginning, but suspicions are just that. It just as likely, if not more so, that he simply left it in the woods or at someones house, or, or, or ...

Posted

When kids (especially your own) are in the house, stuff gets lost and, even though you "searched everywhere", they often turn up at some point.

Yeah, my husband "lost" his bike navi....for almost a year. He searched high and low in our house, every backpack, etc.

Then, one day, he found it...in one of the backpacks that he swore he searched.

Chalk it up to experience and write it off.

Edit: and keep searching

Posted

I once "lost" my mobile. I searched high and low and finally decided that it had fallen out of my bag on a train, sighed deeply and bought a new one. Six months later it turned up when I was clearing out the car boot (yeah, I don't clear out the car boot very often :D ).

Was it just the Navi that went, or was it the cables etc. as well? If it was just the navi, then there's a possibility a kid picked it up, thinking it was a gameboy or something and DDBug's approach might just bear fruit. If the cables have gone as well that's feels likely to be theft and I don't think that you'll see it again.

If it was me, I wouldn't do anything because I'd expect it to "turn up somewhere eventually", but that's just me.

Posted

invite everyone over for a friendly game of Clue... B)