Travelling from Heidelberg to Frankfurt

11 posts in this topic

Posted

hello all,

I recently got admitted in Frankfurt University of applied sciences, but I live with my spouse in Heidelberg. Can any one tell me the cheapest ways to travel as a student from Heidelberg to Frankfurt everyday.

Thanks in advance.

Posted

RMV Semesterticket (mandatory for FH Frankfurt students) plus VRN "Anschluss" Semesterticket (171 Euro per semester currently).

About 2 hours one-way including transfer to Nibelungenplatz area in Frankfurt.

Posted

http://www.mitfahr-verein.de/site/index.do

but watch out for the hidden charges http://www.netzwelt.de/news/80552-mitfahr-verein-de-warnung-versteckten-kosten.html

EDIT: just realised mitfahr-verein is now running the same bait and switch scam as XING & Co. - as discussed elsewhere. Maybe there is an alternative way to find a car-sharing arrangement.

Posted

Or you can just hitchhike.

Might take a couple hours till you find a ride though.

Posted

Actually, kato, it's the time factor itself which would put me off the rail option in spite of its low price student bargain.

I realise one could use some of that traveling time for study related activities, but I imagine a 4 hour daily commute would be a constant strain on the concentration. Comparing that to trying to find a, (possibly much cheaper), regular car-sharing opportunity which would almost certainly be quicker definitely seems to have its attractions.

Still, you pays your money and takes your choice, as they say.

2B

Posted

Moving closer to Frankfurt might also be an option.

Posted

Actually, kato, it's the time factor itself which would put me off the rail option in spite of its low price student bargain.

Going that route by car during rush hour (which on the A5 is about any hour between 4 am and 1 am...) is gonna take at least 90 minutes too. Possibly up to two hours if you have to get out of Heidelberg and into central Frankfurt too.

Posted

Kind of difficult too if you're relying on a ride there and back every day.

Posted

Oh, puleeze kato, you don't need to exaggerate just for effect. When you stick to reality you make a lot more sense.

Having done that journey at all times of night and day more than a few thousand times I am pretty well aware of the time factors for the road route. FFS, who averages less than 60km/h when over 80km of it is fast highway or Autobahn? I couldn't even drive an LKW+Hänger that slow without having to answer to a hundred road-raging truckers. Outside of the 07.00 - 9.30 and 16.00 - 18.30 windows when did it ever take you more than 1hr 15min to cover that stretch? The two decades of work around the Frankfurter Kreuz ended about 10 years ago and, unless there was a major accident or miles of work on the A5/A67, it never took me even (not over) 90 minutes to drive a heavy truck on that route. In fact I'd bet if I dug deep enough I could find a few of my old tacho discs to verify that too.

We only know where the OP needs to get to in FF/M at this stage so it seems premature to be making assumptions about how far s/he may need to travel in HD to reach the HBF. Calculating "Possibly up to two hours if you have to get out of Heidelberg and into central Frankfurt too." (which still only tops out at 99 kilometers) brings your average speed down to a ludicrous 49.5km/h. Somehow it appears even long distance coach operators routinely manage to beat your estimate for that stretch by 30 minutes several times daily!

post-89810-13553629173557.jpg

I'm not sure if you, (or westvan*), are aware that numerous posters on the Mitfahrgelegheit site are in fact regular 'pendler' who travel daily throughout the year/semester. Most of them do prefer to find permanent riders and, once contact has been established, many are willing to make far more convenient pick-up and drop-off arrangements than the central station.

*Disagree about you wrt perceived difficulties of relying on a lift, although I totally agree that moving closer could make a lot more sense for the sake of reducing the obvious stress factors for both their studies and their marital relationship.

Anyway, whether or not it suits our own perceptions of a sensible or comfortable plan, the OP said, "Can any one tell me the cheapest ways to travel as a student from Heidelberg to Frankfurt everyday.", so my suggestion most certainly conforms with that requirement.

2B

Posted

We only know where the OP needs to get to in FF/M at this stage so it seems premature to be making assumptions about how far s/he may need to travel in HD to reach the HBF.

The FH is at Nibelungenplatz. If you've got someone in Mitfahrgelegenheit who travels in through A5 - Westkreuz - A66 - Miquelallee you're (moderately) fast. If you don't you're not.

As for HD, depending on where in the city you live it takes you between 20 and 40 minutes to get to HBf on public transport in the morning. Or a minimum of 15 minutes to get to the Autobahn, if you're driving yourself.

The cheapest way is the Semesterticket, since he's already paying half the way (entire route in RMV) anyway. 342 Euro per year comes out to about 85-90 Cents for HD - Frankfurt oneway, if done in a regular Pendler fashion (ie. about 200 days back and forth per year). You will not find someone on Mitfahrgelegenheit who does that route for that price.