Using third party Routers with KabelDeutschland

24 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi everybody,

I would like to get a Kabel Deutschland (KD) Internet + phone 100Mbits connection.

I know KD is offering their KD branded version of Fritzbox 6360 Cable-router but as far as I know it has some features disabled such as VOIP with 3rd party providers, that it is a feature that I need.

I read that one way to bypass this problem is to connect to the normal KD router another WI-FI fritzbox Router such as the the 7390 or 7270 and then configure there the 3rd party VOIP provider.

I also know that AVM Fritzbox is selling the official 6360 router with all the features, including VOIP, enabled.

And I also know that Unitymedia (UM) is also offering the UM branded 6360 Router that as far as I know, it has also enabled the VOIP capabilities.

The question is: Can I buy on Ebay or so, the Unitymedia or AVM 6360 Router versions, and later configure them to work with the Internet + phone KD Connection without any proplem?

It looks like it should be possible but I read somewhere that if you try to do that then you loose the capability of using the Phone feature in the KD contract. Something like it is not possible to configure the Standard KD VOIP connection included in theKD contracta and then you cannot give or receive calls through your KD number. Is it true?

is there any workaround? Any tip or idea to get what I want?

I just want to have a simple and fully featured setup (including KD standard features such as phone + all the Fritzbox 6360 features such as VOIP) with any 6360 Cable-Router from KD, AVM or Unitymedia.

Does this trick of connecting a second Wi-FI router to the first KD router really work? if so, Where I can read more information to do it myself? (in english please)

Thank you very much in advance!

Posted

If you replace the KD router then you don't have the username/passord for the VoIP functions of the KD phone service as these are embedded in the router they would otherwise supply. The only workaround is another VoIP adapter (such as an (even elderly) Fritzbox) downstream of the KD router, or simply hang a VoIP phone onto it.

Posted

I ordered the cheapest option from Kabel Deutschland (the modem, they actually send you a router but you can put this into bridged mode so it acts like a modem), then I connected that to my Fritzbox 7390 and configured it to use Lan port 1 for internet and everything works fine. The phone connection that comes out of the modem I've plugged into the Fritzbox for outgoing German landline calls and the rest I can route over my choice of VoIP providers.

Posted

If you replace the KD router then you don't have the username/password for the VoIP functions

If you download a copy of the config first, you will..

Another tip would be to try to re-enable the disabled features via an app called ruKerneltool

You are not the only person in Germany having these problems/questions. There are many support forums

which tell you how to reactivate/configure this box. Problem is most of them are in German. So brush-up and

hit google. (or use Google Translate)

Posted

Thank you everybody for your useful answers. I think I am going to decide for the KD cheapest option + Fritzbox 7390 Router (International version to set the interface in english).

It is a pity because the Fritzbox 7390 Router (International version) cost 224€ and I will have 2 devices connected simultaneously (KD cheapest option+Fritzbox 7390) but it is the only way to have VOIP with 3rd party providers + English interface.

There is still another option: to get from KD their Fritzbox 6360 router because although they block the use of 3rd party VOIP providers, this can be easily hacked (http://www.kdgforum.de/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=25274) but afaik no english interface is possible. Or am I wrong? Does anybody know if the default´s KD Fritzbox 6360 Router can set the Interface in english? This would be great because first I would save the 224€ and second I would only have one device connected.

Posted

I would be surprised if you couldn't change it to English, I don't know why they'd disable this feature. In any case, even if you can't change it, how often do you have to interact with your router? You could surely figure it out in German enough to set it up and then you just leave it alone.

Posted

Why do you need especially VoIP function in the router? You could hang a dedicated VoIP adapter or telephone directly off any router.

Posted

@YorkshireLad6:

KD "landlines" are actually VOIP based. So the OP wants so use the 2 landlines he gets with the KD package.

Posted

And its 1 less device to configure, or have go bad..

@OP

All Fritz boxes are hackable in some way. What your looking for is prob. possible with a bit of research and work.

Posted

To answer your questions:

@ YorkshireLad6: 3rd party VOIP providers feature is a must for me because I have to call Spain very often and KD prices are very expensive. With Freevoipdeal.com (Finarea/Betamax) provider I can call Spain landline numbers for 0€ per minute and Spanish Mobile numbers for 1 cent per minute and German mobile numbers for 0,5cents, so imagine!

I don´t want a dedicated Voip device because I want to automatically route in the router the calls using the normal phones depending on the target number and redirect them to a specific provider. For Instance I also want to use the included free calls to German landline numbers offered by KD.

@Hutcho: I am a tweaker & I am almost trying to get the most from all my devices. I´ve been using for some years older more simple Fritzbox routers via the German Interface and I know how much time I had to spend to try to fix problems and how frustrating it was. With the new full of features 7390 or 6360 Fritzbox Routers I expect that I will have to configure even much more stuff (Dual Wifi network, VPN, NAS, Media streaming, Firewall, SIP...) on them and I prefer to do it in english to save time and frustrations...

@Darknight: I know... for instance the SIP trick to unblock the 3rd Party VOIP providers but afaik there is not hack to convert the Fritzbox 6360 from German to English and I never read anywhere that its user interface can be set in english...

So still my question is open: does anybody know if KD Fritzbox 6360 router user interface can be set to English?

Posted

I don´t want a dedicated Voip device because I want to automatically route in the router the calls using the normal phones depending on the target number and redirect them to a specific provider. For Instance I also want to use the included free KD German fix calls.

Just a note that might help you later. If you want to use a Fritzbox supplied by Kabel Deutschland, I don't believe you'll be able to register the land line as a VoIP service. However, I got around this problem by connecting the telephone port on the cable modem KD provided directly to the Fritzbox's phone in line. To do this I had to cut the end off a phone cable and recrimp it to a standard RJ45 connector with the two wires going to pins 3 and 6. Now it works fine.

Posted

@ Hutcho: I didn´t understand what you meant but I think that I don´t need your hack, right? I mean what I want is to configure the call patterns to forward them to different providers:

For instance, if I call a number starting by:

01* (German mobiles) --> Freemobilevoip 3rd party Voip provider

0* (German Landline numbers except the numbers starting with 01X) --> KD Free Landline numbers calls

00* (International calls --> Freemobilevoip 3rd party Voip provider

If finally I get a KD 6360 that can be set to english: I would configure these calling rules in the same 6360 router (once hacked to allow 3rd party VOIP providers by following this: http://www.kdgforum.de/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=25274) but if finally I chain the cheapest KD router + a Fritzbox 7390 (By following http://service.avm.de/support/en/SKB/FRITZ-Box-7390-int/700:Connecting-FRITZ-Box-to-a-cable-modem) then I would configure these calling rules in the 7390.

Please can you confirm to me that for my needs I am not going to need your hack?

Posted

Sorry, I've looked around, but the 6360 is some sort of special Cable modem. Its one of the ones that doesn't have many hacks.

Nor is it one that you can change the GUI language on.

Posted

All Fritz boxes are hackable in some way. What your looking for is prob. possible with a bit of research and work.

Sorry, I've looked around, but the 6360 is some sort of special Cable modem. Its one of the ones that doesn't have many hacks.

Nor is it one that you can change the GUI language on.

Congratulations on admitting your mistake. Have a greenie. Times they are a changing...

Posted

The flat rate you are talking about is only for landline calls. Not for mobiles. But anyway here we are not discussing anymore about using 3rd party VOIP providers, this is alteady solved or hacking the 6360 or by chaining a 7390 behing the cheap not wifi enabled router provided by KD. The current discussion is about if it is possible or not to set the 6360 in english, something that it looks like curntly not possible.

Posted

I ordered the cheapest option from Kabel Deutschland (the modem, they actually send you a router but you can put this into bridged mode so it acts like a modem), then I connected that to my Fritzbox 7390 and configured it to use Lan port 1 for internet and everything works fine. The phone connection that comes out of the modem I've plugged into the Fritzbox for outgoing German landline calls and the rest I can route over my choice of VoIP providers.

Btw Hutcho... Do you have a regular 7390? Can it be set to english? Or did you get an internatinal version? I am wondering if to buy a regular 7390 to put it behind the smple KD cablemodem would be enough because it also can be set to english.

Posted

@ Hutcho: I didn´t understand what you meant but I think that I don´t need your hack, right? I mean what I want is to configure the call patterns to forward them to different providers

As far as I know, you will need my hack. How do you intend on using your KD landline? I don't think you can set it up as a standard VoIP number because you don't have any of the credentials. This is definitely not a supported setup from KD.

The only way I could figure out to do it is to let the cable modem handle the VoIP stuff (it has a regular phone connection on the back of it, so to the average person looks just like a normal phone connection), and connect that port to the Fritzbox. However, the connection on the Fritzbox is not a usual phone plug, it's a RJ45 (network) plug. Normally you would connect this to a splitter which you would then use for DSL. I suppose it might also work with the splitter, even though you don't have DSL, but I'm not sure.

What defintely works, because I just did it, is crimping the phone twisted pair to pins 3 and 6 on a RJ45 cable.

Btw Hutcho... Do you have a regular 7390? Can it be set to english? Or did you get an internatinal version? I am wondering if to buy a regular 7390 to put it behind the smple KD cablemodem would be enough because it also can be set to english.

I have a regular one ordered in Germany, and actually I can't see any option to put it in English.

Posted

The normal 7390 cannot be set to English, I used ruKerneltool to install the international version of the software.

Tim.

Posted

As far as I know, you will need my hack. How do you intend on using your KD landline? I don't think you can set it up as a standard VoIP number because you don't have any of the credentials. This is definitely not a supported setup from KD.

The only way I could figure out to do it is to let the cable modem handle the VoIP stuff (it has a regular phone connection on the back of it, so to the average person looks just like a normal phone connection), and connect that port to the Fritzbox. However, the connection on the Fritzbox is not a usual phone plug, it's a RJ45 (network) plug. Normally you would connect this to a splitter which you would then use for DSL. I suppose it might also work with the splitter, even though you don't have DSL, but I'm not sure.

What defintely works, because I just did it, is crimping the phone twisted pair to pins 3 and 6 on a RJ45 cable.

I have a regular one ordered in Germany, and actually I can't see any option to put it in English.

I think thats what the OP wants to do, connect the KD landline from the KD Modem Box into the Fritbox. Yes, the phone/dsl line in the Fritzbox is a RJ45 connection but you do not need to re-crimp anything, I think the Fritzbox includes a RJ45<->RJ11 adapter.

I think that configuration should work. Then the OP can let all the landlines calls go out via the KD landline and the international and mobiles ones can be mapped to VOIP.

But if the OP is buying the Fritzbox only to do this I think it is probably overkill, the Fritzbox is almost 200 EUR. I think can do the same with a 50-60 EUR Cisco VOIP adapter, one of the models that correspond to the old SIPURA boxes. The problem is Cisco has made a crappy job in making clear what box makes what, you will need one that can be connected to a landline. Most current simple models are pure VOIP only.