Where to buy American pepperoni

18 posts in this topic

Posted

Is there any possibility of obtaining American style pepperoni in Germany, or anywhere in Europe for that matter? Every thread on any website I've found about it has a lot of answers with Europeans informing Americans that pepperoni is called salami here, but they aren't the same thing. American pepperoni is a spicy, more red-colored sausage- it looks a lot like chorizo but isn't as greasy. Does anything like that exist here?

Posted

Salami or Salame comes in many varieties, meat sources, spices and sizes. The spices affect the colour. Perhaps you have a specific idea of what salami should look like?

Personally I love a good salame piccante on a Pizza Diavola.

Posted

I think I might have forgotten what American pepperoni tastes like - but I'm wondering whether Turkish Suçuk wurst is similar in taste.

Posted

Hey, thanks for the link, westvan.

Posted

You order a pizza with pepperoni here where I live you will get green chili peppers.

Posted

Yeah, those are Peperoni/Peperoncini/Pfefferonen.

post-29848-13552135421971.jpg

Posted

The images of salame piccante don't look like the Italian-American pepperoni OP is talking about. Pepperoni has a finer grain. Small globs of fat instead of large ones.

Posted

The closest thing I have found is Spanish chorizo

Posted

Salame piccante can be different depending on their town of origin, type of meat or individual butcher. Those fat blobs of fat are quite popular in Italy. I prefer ones without though so I think it's not too fatty.

Posted

Try paprika salami. I got some from both Real and Kaufland. Its not exactly the same, but it's the closest that I've gotten here. It has the small fat globules, and I put it on my frozen pizza and it crisps up like the pepperoni back home. Its not quite as spicy as I like, but a twist or two of chilli pepper makes it better!

Edit: It looks like this from Real Paprika salami

Posted

Mmmmmm. Fat globules! post-7126-13552313368753.jpeg

Posted

wonder if any of the Turkish stores would have the halal beef pepperoni? I worked in a pizza shop owned by Iranians and they had that as well as the regular American pepperoni; it was way better (and more expensive).

happily I have 3 packs of elk pepperoni in my fridge at the moment...:wub:

Posted

The fatty bits are probably called something like "globulini" though.

Posted

wonder if any of the Turkish stores would have the halal beef pepperoni? I worked in a pizza shop owned by Iranians and they had that as well as the regular American pepperoni; it was way better (and more expensive).

happily I have 3 packs of elk pepperoni in my fridge at the moment...

I have seen spicy beef salami at some Turkish shops. It is different than Sucuk, which is also really good on pizza. The spicy beef salami I have got at the big Turkish supermarket here is the one I found that tastes and looks the most like American pepperoni.

Posted

I thought this was interesting:

American style pepperoni was first developed out of concern for how “Old World” pepperoni baked on top of pizza. American style pepperoni was developed to address three major concerns of restaurant owners: cupping, burning and greasing out – all three of which they felt detracted from the appeal of their pizzas.

To overcome these baking issues, manufacturers began to develop pepperoni that would not cup or char when put through the baking process. American style pepperoni was born. Because of the uniformity, ease of slicing and great baking characteristics, American style pepperoni has replaced Traditional as the predominant pepperoni used on pizza today.