Need advice on making movies

37 posts in this topic

Posted

My old laptop is slowly giving up the ghost. Up to now I've always used a PC, but having used an iPad for the last few months I'm thinking of changing over to Mac. Besides, my daughter has been trykng to persuade me for years. She also suggests that instead of a iBook I get a desktop, as I have the iPad for mobility.

I've been looking at this, at 1349:

http://store.apple.com/de/browse/home/shop_mac/family/imac

Or this at 1049:

http://store.apple.com/de/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_air

Or this, at 1249:

http://store.apple.com/de/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro

My questions are these: it seems to me the iMac doesn't have a DVD drive; that I'd have to buy that separately?

What I don't like about writing on a laptop is the position of the keyboard. A friend of mine has a stand for the laptop and a separate keyboard, so that it's setup as a desktop. That might be a good solution. Can I get a laptop holder for an iBook?

What's the difference between MacBook Pro and Air?

See, I'm very much a beginner. So go gently, if my questions sound stupid!

Posted

Are you going to be doing 3D modelling or HD video editing, or gaming? If not, don't worry too much about processor speed, instead look at the amount of RAM (memory) that the machine comes with, or is upgradeable to.

Macs will not come with optical drives (CD/DVD drives) in the future, but for around $80 you can get a Superdrive, Apple's own external optical drive which is available for all of its desktops and laptops that do not have internal optical drives.

iBooks are no longer in production, the only portable computers that Apple makes now are the MacBook Air and the MacBook Pro, (and the iOS devices.)

Posted

Are you going to be doing 3D modelling or HD video editing, or gaming? If not, don't worry too much about processor speed, instead look at the amount of RAM (memory) that the machine comes with, or is upgradeable to.

No, none of this. Just writing. Sorry about the iBook mistake in the title. Got a bit confused there. So, if I buy a laptop, the voice is between Pro and Air. Can someone tell me a little about the difference?

Posted

It seems that the laptops also do not have DVD/CD drives, so I'd have to buy these as well. Plus the stander (Apple offers one at 40 E) plus keyboard and mouse or touchpad.

So either way, it all adds up...

I'm leaning to an Air plus the extras.

Posted

I have a macbook air and I love that it is nice and light and portable, yet is powerful enough for me to do development and run VM´s on it and connect it to a proper keyboard/mouse/monitor. It can handle Scrivener without any issues at all. (Assuming you use that tool)

In terms of DVDs, you can pick up cheap external DVD drives which do not need to be made by Apple...

eg:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B003M0NT1M/

That said have personally never needed a DVD drive on my Air, everything is either downloaded, or in worse case transferred across my network or external hard disk. I don´t use it for films.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: I decided against the Macbook pro because of the screen resolution at the time (I am not talking about the retina models), and also the sheer weight of the thing in comparison with the air. Also the Pro uses a conventional hard disk and not an SSD. The SSD really makes a huge difference to performance

Posted

I actually have a cheap DVD external drive...

Leaning ever more towards the Air.

Next question: I need to use Word. So I'll have to buy that too, I guess?

Posted

Hey Arunadasi: if you already have the DVD external drive, I say go for the Macbook air. Don't worry about Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc...you can buy a Microsoft Office for Mac...which will run you a little over $100. I have a Macbook Pro and I love it. My friend just got an Air last week so I was playing on it...it's nice! It's very slim, light, and no moving parts in regards to the fan. I say if you've got the money and the DVD drive already, go for the Air. Welcome to the Apple laptop club! :rolleyes:

Posted

and if you don´t want to shell out for MS office, you can always try the free alternatives. Open Office or Lotus Symphony (My personal preference). I´m sure there are others free programs available also.

Posted

I have the iphone, macbook, and mac desktop. changing from the windows environment to the apple environment was a breeze. you will want to push your desktop onto the cloud, either icloud or dropbox or something similar. if you want your emails to synchronise across devices, it is easier to just use the the apple default email addresses, @me.com or @icloud.com. You can also make outlook addresses synchronise but not as easily without technical know-how.

As far as the DVD, my laptop and desktop both have internal drives but these are two years old. I have used the DVD option probably just once. I also run the microsoft office suite for the mac. works like a breeze. i did upgrade the RAM in all my devices. Not cheap but adds to the speed. You may want an external hard drive for backup purposes. The apple TV box is also cool. You can stream video to your laptop or desktop and then watch on your home tv with no effort. All the apple products are a bit overpriced and over hyped but for me, performance and reliability are more important.

In two years, neither my macbook or desktop have ever locked up without my having hit too many keys simultaneously.

I did replace the mouse with a trackpad at my desktop to better use the fingertip gestures that work with apple products.

Posted

I already use iCloud and Dropbox so I'm already getting into the swing of things... Guess my daughter knew what she was doing when she gave me the iPad for my birthday ( together with her brother!) I'm kinda hooked...

That TV thingee sounds cool too. So you would recommend the trackpad rather than the mouse? I think I will order them today then perhaps they will be here before daughter comes next week, and she can help me with setup etc.

Posted

The iMac is a very, very nice machine and switching from Windows isn't a big deal. I'd only offer a couple of pieces of advice. Firstly the Apple Mouse (the one with the ball on top) is a piece of crap, avoid it like the plague. How they justify charging 50€ for such a flawed design is beyond me. Secondly MS Office is way better than the alternatives, particularly if you're used to the ribbon. Open Office is like going back to Office XP.

Posted

post-544-13551366292723_thumb.jpg

I have been working like this for years. Griffin stand, extra keyboard and mouse. Just shut the lid, chuck into a bag and go home. I reboot maybe once a month I guess.

Posted

^^^^^ yes, that's exactly what I was thinking of. Gone ahead and ordered the cheaper Air, for 1049. Can't wait!

Plan to pay it from my (German) tax refund. And then, just as I ordered it, I got an email from "HMRC" saying I was due a tax refund of £503, which seemed weird to me but OK. So I went through the sign in steps to check, forgot my password, reset the password, and it didn't work. So I called HMRC and while waiting for the incredibly boring and long recorded message, I heard that any message bout a refund sent by email is a scam! Ha. They almost got me!

Anyway, thanks for all the help. I've orders the Air by itself for the time being. I'll order the stand, keyboard and mouse or trackpad in January.

Posted

That is an 11 inch screen and mine is 15 so you *might* need an external monitor. Depends on your eyesight, needs etc etc.

Posted

You cannot go wrong with the MacBook Air or Pro. They are both great computers, very intuitive and well built. You made a good choice.

Posted

Cancelled my order for the . 11 inch Air and ordered a 13 inch instead, for 1249.

Them today I was in MediaMarkt on a different matter and saw they had a MacBook Pro for 1099. Ha! Guess what I'm off to buy tomorrow! Had to do some juggling around of money so it's all on one card.

Posted

You won't be disappointed*. I have the Air, formerly had a MacBook, Powerbook, and a few Mac models prior. Good choice! The Pro is also good, but heavier. You can't really go wrong with any Apple product. :P My elderly mother just made the switch!

We rarely watch DVDs these days, we use Netflix online. Now, what to do with the GerMan's large DVD collection?...

*one complaint I do have is the latest version scroll bar, while looking cool, is highly annoying.