Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Flying from Munich to Gatwick in snow

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi everyone,

I'm flying from munich flughafen to london gatwick soon, and was wondering if anyone has any experience with what happens if it snows at either end. I know that germany seems much better equipped to deal with snow than england, but if it is snowing in either place, does anyone know how likely it is that my flight will be cancelled (I'm flying with easyjet).

I'm just slightly concerned because my flight is a few days before christmas, and I don't want to be stranded here alone!

Thanks in advance for any info/experiences!

Posted

Easyjet will take off, even if the passengers have to get out and scrape ice off the wings - if they miss a flight, the lose a LOT of money!

Seriously, check the flight arrivals and departures boards for Munich airport online - they barely miss a flight due to bad weather - fog would be far, far worse than a bit of snow!

Posted

Everyone has the same problem, which is why Christmas is a bad time of year to travel (although understandable of course). On the whole the airports can deal with snow, unless there is a particularly large amount of it. In the event of cancellations, the standard airlines are in a much better position to still get you home. EasyJet will probably just give you your €50 back and wish you a merry Christmas – one of many reasons that the budget airlines are a false economy.

Posted

December 2010: "Snow grounds Gatwick Airport flights for second day"

March 2011: "Unprecedented, continuous snowfall forced Gatwick to close for two days in early December, however, a few weeks later, when it snowed again, our runway was closed for just a few hours.

This was not down to luck.

It was down to leadership, communications and teamwork. And that’s exactly what I told the Transport Select Committee and industry leaders on Tuesday.

At Gatwick, we learn from challenging situations and we did in December.

After the first snowfall, we pushed the button on an £8 million investment to double the size of our snow clearing equipment. We now have more snow ploughs than any other UK airport and we’re on a par with Oslo airport for snow clearing capability."

February 2012: "Heavy snows hits Sussex but no Gatwick flights cancelled"

There are no guarantees but Gatwick appears to be taking snow clearance seriously.

Posted

Three years ago quite a few flights were cancelled in Munich, because of bad snowy weather conditions in Munich. For this reason I never book a flight on the 24th: too risky :)

Posted

Yes, your flight might be cancelled. However, I've never known a (european) airport be closed for more than a day or two due to snow. So you won't be stranded indefinitely, but can usually be re-booked on the next available flight. I don't have any experience of easyjet for cancellations, but once my flight with Jet2 from dusseldorf (another equally budget airline) was cancelled due to a technical fault and they put us up in a 4* hotel at the airport overnight and flew us out the next morning...so budget airlines are not necessarily a bad choice. Another time (late december 2010) I was trying to fly from the uk to netherlands and was euphoric that there was no snow on the day I wanted to fly. We were 5 mins from the scheduled boarding time when it was announced that flight was cancelled because of fog!! The incoming plane couldn't land safely and had to be diverted. I'd put so much thought into snow, and then the flight was cancelled anyway because of something else... anyway it's annoying but the chance of you being in germany all alone through the whole xmas period are pretty small I think.

Edited to add: if you're really worried you could take out travel insurance (one that covers any cancellation and rebooking expenses)

Posted

Munich has usually got the snow under control by the time Christmas comes - they've had prior warning this year - they have the equipment to deal with it. If there is a problem it will invariably be at the other end.

In almost 15 years, I've only had one Christmas flight cancelled* to Birmingham, and the reason was fog in London. All London flights got redirected and Birmingham didn't have space to cope with their flights.

*Lufthansa gave us a hotel room at the airport and put us on the early morning flight the next day