Which was your strangest business appointment?

36 posts in this topic

Posted

Not an appointment as such... but a real mail....

"Hi Guys... I appear to have lost my Service... I think this is because I have had a new credit card... Shall I send you the new info?"

I sarcastically replied... No, no need, I was going to take a guess at the new info!

I could go on!...

Posted

In my first IT job, aged 22, I had to do a routine visit to a customer who had a small company and therefore a couple of computers with accounts and business software packages that we'd sold him.

My colleagues told me to expect that at the end of the visit, he would give me one of the company products as a free gift, as every one of them had been given a clock. I rather liked the idea, so for that reason -among other reasons- I wasn't best pleased when he offered me a free gift of a rape alarm.

And when I politely declined, he became very insistent, which increased my desire to leave asap, before he uttered the words he was clearly thinking, that in his view I wouldn't be able to manage without it. :blink:

Posted

Well one time I was on a visit to a place and they got me to put my head on an executioners block and a guy put an axe on my neck.

Another time I got an earbending from a guy who made a point of coming to find me whilst on a visit from an overseas office because we got him to drive 50 miles through the jungle to get something for us and send it, then a colleague of mine binned that item and then another colleague sent this overseas guy a snotty letter chasing it up. I calmed the guy down, he took it as a personal insult. Shortly afterwards the same thing happened again and I had to dodge his calls.

I had lots of other things happen. Including identity mix ups and responsibility mix ups with bizarre calls about bizarre items.

Actually the weirdest stuff often concerned people I worked in the same building with and sometimes I found some of the things unsettling.

Posted

Dear OP. They clearly wanted a threesome.

Posted

Oh, the masked "Dear John" entry.

Posted

First English lesson with a couple of guys in a steel company. I arrived at the gates and could clearly see the two participants in their office about 100 metres away. Between us was a rather vicious looking dog on a long leash which was patrolling the yard. The language school hadn't given me a phone number, and, despite much arm-waving and shouting, I couldn't (over more than 20 minutes) attract the attention of the two guys. I rang directory enquiries and got the central number of the steel company, but as it was Saturday, the desk wasn't manned and it just rang off. I eventually gave up and went home. The company then refused to pay the invoice on the basis that the leash wasn't long enough for the dog to have pinned me down and savaged me to death.

I got paid.

Posted

Doing SW acceptance tests in eastern Europe and being given home made vodka whilst doing it - I had to run from the server room to the toilet...

Posted

Arriving in <a city in a Balkan country> for an appointment and finding the person we had the appointment with gravely ill in the local hospital. This was the early 90s, ICU consisted of a few beds in a different room, with none of the "normal" machines you expect in an ICU, and with generally deplorable conditions. We ended up haggling with the local banks to get enough together to bribe the doctor, so our business partner could get the treatment she needed.

Posted

That kind of stuff still goes on in the east in some places unfortunately.

Posted

Ah, Boots...job interviews! Nice one and thanks for reminding me!

One of my many unsuccessful ones ( :D :D ) went like this:

I´d just got back to London from living in Asia, was in bed but got up to go out and buy the Guardian. Back to bed, cup of coffee en mano ( but no food ) and read the Jobs Advertised section. There was a school needing a teacher so I made the call. " Can we meet at 11 o´clock this morning at pub (forget the name )? " " Yes, see you then ".

So we shook hands and introduced ourselves...and bought a beer. The interview went on...after 4 beers, the guy said to me " you don´t look well..let´s go across the road for a decent coffee ". Nice cappuccino place! We sat opposite each other at a table...I finished my coffee and he his. Then suddenly, I , erm, threw up into my cup. I grabbed his empty cup and threw up in there, too...!!!

He asked for the bill, waitress came and said " but you haven´t drunk your coffees yet"...

He turned left at the door and I right..never heard from him again.

The funny thing is: the next day, went for another interview, heavily hung over, at a really renowned school ( International House in London near Green Park)...couldn´t answer any question properly, couldn´t remember any names of books I could recommend for TEFL..I was blank.

Got the job! I had 3 happy years there..and then I came to Germany! ( Got a phone call...was here a week or two later...over 20 years ago!!) :)

Posted

Some years ago I went to a job interview in Aachen to company of about 40-50 people, and during the interview , the interviewer pulled a beer bottle from the Fridge from adjacent kitchen for himself and offered me one as well which I politely declined.

The catch was that they wanted to hire me for a full time job for a salary of about 800 Euro per month.

They realized my 'enthusiasm' during the interview and eventually didn't made me an offer.

Posted

Did hardware installations at... a large chemical factory cluster.

Probably the strangest was waiting for a PC to migrate and in the meantime reading a notice on the office door that in case of alarm this building should be evacuated since it would probably be relatively quickly flooded with gaseous nitric acid.

Either that or the one where i did PC work at a surveillance post inside that factory and there's a couple alarms. First three for some reason coincided with my colleague opening a door, every single time - completely coincidental though. During the next one we just keep doing our stuff since after all, hey, nothing's happened so far. Guy comes over and tells me i can just continue, "something just fell over" but we're in an airtight room after all, so no worry.

Posted

Then suddenly, I , erm, threw up into my cup. I grabbed his empty cup and threw up in there, too...!!!

Surely you could have puked on the floor instead of into the cups? :D

I've always worked in laboratories, so not too many 'business appointments'. Lots of crazies in labs [not to mention radioactivity and other dangerous things], especially some of the Germans I've had to work with, haha. Well, one day I got so pissed off at an obnoxious colleague, I pulled the lab stool out from beneath him and he fell flat on his ass. He had it coming, but I should have been fired. :ph34r:

edit: Ah, how could I forget the mental post-doc who threatened to put cyanide in my coffee? I never left my cup alone after that!

Posted

I haven't had many business appointments either but I once had a job where one of the two owners asked me to work overtime on a Saturday the first week I was there. I showed up and he was the only one there and it turned out he didn't really want to work at all, he wanted to inform me that the other owner was crazy and make sure I was on his side. The funny thing is that I was just a helper there. It was a meat packing place and it was clear when I started that I would only be there for 6 weeks because I was going back to school so I really don't know why he felt he needed me to be on his side. And by the way, the other owner was nice enough too. I don't think he was really crazy, they just had a problem with each other.

A friend of mine had a more interesting business appointment. He was selling vacuum cleaners for a while and one of the appointments, a lady around 60 yrs. old told him that she used to be a prostitute and offered him sex. He apparently declined.

Posted

Don´t be silly, mlovett! The cups were closer and prettier!

I expected more of you!!! B)

Posted

....Michael Fellows Accountancy Interview....