Need recommendations for a shower water filter

23 posts in this topic

Posted

Since I moved to Cologne 2 years ago my hair has gone from smooth and wavy to dry and frizzy...my skin has gone from normal to super dry...and I can go on to list more hair and skin annoyances. To cut a long story short, I recently learned these are all likely the effect of the hard water in Germany. (No this isnt a post about shampoos and moisturizers!)

I already drink bottled water and use filtered water for cooking, however I am looking for the next step to fix the water in my shower.

>>> What are recommendations for water filters for the shower? (Duschfilter)

Appreciate any advice or experience - what type to buy, what brands and shops (Obi, Amazon), and price and performance reviews...also advice on how to install (I am single girl who can barely change a lightbulb!)

I have tried looking on amazon but there doesnt seem to be many positive reviews of the advertised products, nor instructions on how to install them or how they work.

The water here drives me crazy, it may be very clean however the kalk and minerals are disgusting...there must be a better fix than "washing my hair in Evian"

Posted

Thanks for the link Lavender, I already searched and there is not much useful regarding the shower water filters.

Maybe I should have made the topic name clearer, I am looking for water filter recommendations to install in the shower (and not shampoos).

That forum recommends to buy from the USA...surely people must have recommendations on where and what to get in Germany for water filters?

Posted

>>> What are recommendations for water filters for the shower? (Duschfilter)

I cant help your cause here...

But I can advise you that when you are looking for a new Lamp for your shower room, and a good looking worker at the Baumarkt asks you if she can help you... Do not start the conversation with "Duschlampe"...

That will get you chucked out!

Posted

I cant help your cause here...

But I can advise you that when you are looking for a new Lamp for your shower room, and a good looking worker at the Baumarkt asks you if she can help you... Do not start the conversation with "Duschlampe"...

That will get you chucked out!

Spider Pig : LOL LOL LOL :lol::D :lol:

Posted

I had the same problem and what I realized is that it is best to use bottled water to wash your hair!

I use about 3 liters of Gerolsteiner flat water every wash and that makes all the difference (I have a lot of hair) . Most brands of bottled water will do, but The key is to use bottled water without chlorine in it and you should be fine. There are even huge bottles (3+ L) of flat water at REWE that you can buy for .99c and that works well too. Its extra weight to carry home from the store, but if your hair is that important to you, you will make the sacrifice. Its a small price to pay for healthy hair!

You will even be able to notice the difference immediately as your hair will be softer, smoother and more manageable.

At all costs, avoid getting the unfiltered water into your hair while showering or bathing because the calcium deposits build up in your scalp and hair and cause a lot of damage. If you can picture your calcified shower head, just imagine your own head and the effects of hard water are pretty similar.

I even use bottled water for my tea and coffee.

As far as dry skin goes, take cold showers and you won't have that problem anymore. It's also a really good kick start for your heart! (reminds me of the motley crüe song).

Posted

Hmmmm. If I could only invent a Dekalk shampoo or conditioner.

Posted

At all costs, avoid getting the unfiltered water into your hair while showering or bathing because the calcium deposits build up in your scalp and hair and cause a lot of damage. If you can picture your calcified shower head, just imagine your own head and the effects of hard water are pretty similar.

If you use shampoo then the majority is bound and then washed out. If you are still worried though, as with the shower head, the minerals don't stick until it dries. You are fine to do just the final rinse with bottled or distilled water. A vinegar rinse (try 1 part in 10 parts water) as the final step also helps with shine as the alkalinity of hard water can leave the hair cuticle ruffled and rinsing with an acid will close it and leave it lying flat. The smell goes away when it is dry.

Hmmmm. If I could only invent a Dekalk shampoo or conditioner.

You'll want something like Joico Chelating Shampoo.

Posted

Its a small price to pay for healthy hair!

Thanks Amanda, I thought I was the only one when I tried washing my hair with filtered water last night. However I am willing to pay more than a small price and install a damn filter in my tap...do these not exist?

As an update I went to the Obi today and asked: After looking at me like I was a crazy person the man said they dont sell them at Obi as the water is so bad in Köln and most shower heads have some kind of filter in them anyhow...

You are fine to do just the final rinse with bottled or distilled water. A vinegar rinse (try 1 part in 10 parts water) as the final step also helps with shine as the alkalinity of hard water can leave the hair cuticle ruffled and rinsing with an acid will close it and leave it lying flat. The smell goes away when it is dry.

You'll want something like Joico Chelating Shampoo.

Thanks kdak2 - I had read about this on the Internet but was somewhat hesitant about vinegaring my head...but I guess I will try it now :)

Where can I pick up the Chelating shampoo? I went to the DM and Rossman to ask about clarifying shampoo and they said it doesnt exist...

I appreciate everyone's hair/shower tips and will try them, however I am still keen on treating the cause which means getting a filter for my shower. Calling all Toytowners, any advise on where and what to buy? (a Duschfilter)

...Its not just my hair thats a mess, I went to the doctor today to get cream for dermatitis...its no fun being completely allergic to the water here!

Posted

I went to the DM and Rossman to ask about clarifying shampoo and they said it doesnt exist...

Garnier makes this shampoo and conditioner with an "anti-Kalk Wirkstoff".

post-29848-13551726933267.jpg

Also: Schauma Kiwi Glanz Anti-Kalk Shampoo

Posted

Move to Bonn and commute. We have some of the softest water in Germany.

Posted

Hey Lamington,

I'd recommend you take a few minutes to read through the posts on these threads.

I haven't re-read them lately, but am pretty sure I remember other TTers suggesting practical solutions and/or economic tips covering your concerns.

If you have the time to trawl through my posting history, or use the search box to find them, I know I have posted (within the mid-2010 to mid-2012 time-frame) a few linked and illustrated examples of in-line limescale filters in topics concerning either ineffective heating or water tap (faucet) leakage. I'm sorry, but I don't remember either the exact dates or the topic titles.

*Thread already suggested by LavenderRain in post#2

2B

Posted

once a week i use dr. bronner's peppermint castile soap and then i do a apple cider vinegar hair/scalp rinse. :)

Posted

Hey Lamington,

I'd recommend you take a few minutes to read through the posts on these threads.

Thanks for the links 2B, I now have plenty of tips for my hair :)

However I cant find any tips for buying a water filter for the actual shower - the closest I could find was here,

Where to buy water filter for sink or shower? but it doesnt talk about brands or types of filters.

Do shower filters just not exist here?!

If anyone has any advice, experience or knowledge on water filters for the shower then please let me know! much appreciated :)

Posted

once a week i use dr. bronner's peppermint castile soap and then i do a apple cider vinegar hair/scalp rinse.

And thanks zeekla - I think I am going to try the vinegar rinse too. Do you wash it out or leave it in? I've read both ways...

Posted

Could not divert the shower water feed throught a high capacity normal tap-water , de-calc filter, bit of extra plumbing ( + cost ), might work?

Posted

or a separate water reservior for the shower, where the water is treated with lime-juice( excellent de-kalker),

and cheaper than market brands, especially as the water lies in the tank for a while before use

Posted

And thanks zeekla - I think I am going to try the vinegar rinse too. Do you wash it out or leave it in? I've read both ways...

so, i typically, do it at the start of a long shower (won't go into the particulars of why it might happen to be longer than normal ;) )

and then leave it in whilst i go about the rest of my showerly duties.

(so ~10 minutes)

then rinse it out.

hope that helps.

Posted

Could not divert the shower water feed throught a high capacity normal tap-water , de-calc filter, bit of extra plumbing ( + cost ), might work?

Any recommendations on what type to buy and where? This is what I would like to understand...do you have any experience with de-calc filters?

Water tank is not an option as I am in an apartment building.

Posted

Still not mastered the art of searching TT, eh? :rolleyes:

Well I did try… although this hint

If you have the time to trawl through my posting history, or use the search box to find them, I know I have posted (within the mid-2010 to mid-2012 time-frame) a few linked and illustrated examples of in-line limescale filters in topics concerning either ineffective heating or water tap (faucet) leakage. I'm sorry, but I don't remember either the exact dates or the topic titles.

apparently missed the target. :P

So, in spite of me being a mean old SOB not given to spoon-feeding the google-powered-site-search-challenged I just got fed up enough of reading the repetitive bumps to dig up one of the threads I'd referred to; 'Does the plumber always ring twice?'

My dear Cologne-y’all-cuzz’n Lamington, though they may be of benefit to you, due to the impression gained from the above, I'm unsure of the value of adding the links below. I suspect you'd at least need to run them through google translate (following which they'd still probably make little sense without a bit of tech-savvy editing) in order to understand them fully.

I don't mean to be rude, but the fact is the subject of de-calc filtering is a potential minefield in Germany. Problem areas range from low-tech high-cost scam seminar based schemes to lower-cost, but high-maintenance systems which, if not technically understood and properly operated can become bacterial breeding grounds. You can, of course, run down to your local baumarkt and buy any one of a number of de-calc filters, but the chances of getting any qualified advice or warnings of building liability or health risks there are pretty slim. Anticipating stranger to stranger recommendations for any product in a field surrounded by such controversy is a little risky at the least, and it may be unrealistic to expect anyone to just know the best answer for you, in your area, with your water supplier.*

Here's a WDR report from January on just some of the technical risks and health problems Wasserfilter im Labortest(Sendung vom 09.01.2012.) The written report is here in PDF format, although the link within to the original lab report's tables no longer works. I found other links within that report to 2 related WDR domestic water preparation reports from 2011 and a Stiftung Warentest (Consumer Protection Foundation) report which claimed most available domestic or portable water filters are superfluous. You can see what you make of them by using the URLs below.

http://www.wdr.de/tv...asserfilter.pdf Wasserfilter im Labortest, Testtabelle

http://www.wdr.de/tv.../kw39/0928/03_wasserenthaertung.jsp Wasserenthärtung (Servicezeit 28. Sept 2011)

http://www.wdr.de/tv...kw43/1027/00_trinkwasser_privathaushalt.jsp Trinkwasser in Privathaushalten (Servicezeit 27. Okt 2011)

http://www.test.de/t...tueberfluessig-19545-19545 „Wasserfilter: Meist überflüssig“ Bericht der Stiftung Warentest zu Wasserfiltern für Zuhause und auf Reisen;

*This is not a recommendation, as I've had no dealings with this firm, but out of the first dozen or more that I found by googling 'wasserfilter Köln' this one seemed to be the best, at least as far as providing credible technical information without including scare tactics. However, if I were you, I would definitely do some careful reading of at least that site and the Stiftung Warentest report before making any buying decision.

HTH

2B

Posted

thanks 2B - appreciate the further considerations e.g. bacteria breeding ground.

I will look through the links (with the help of google translate) and see what my options are.

...Its pretty busy with the lead up to Christmas at the moment, maybe Santa will bring me a shiny new water filter? (and not a health liability too)

Posted

Its extra weight to carry home from the store, but if your hair is that important to you, you will make the sacrifice. Its a small price to pay for healthy hair!

It's much more than extra weight to carry home from the store, but if the earth is at all important to you, go the extra mile and invest in a water filter or start a clarifying routine. It's a small price to pay to reduce frivolous and shockingly staggering energy waste, reliance upon fossil fuels, and pollution.

Posted

once a week i use dr. bronner's peppermint castile soap and then i do a apple cider vinegar hair/scalp rinse.

Ya bloody great pufta! :lol: