Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Free parking near Munich airport

26 posts in this topic

Posted

Is there a free parking zone within few bus/sbahn stops from munich airport? i wanted to park a car for ~2 weeks and it's no problem for me to take a public transport from parking to the airport, but i don't know if there is something like that

Posted

Ultimately it's up to you what you decide, but I would not suggest leaving your car unattended in an area you are not familiar with, for 2 WEEKS. For all you know, you could be parking your car in the wrong neighborhood, and come back to find it empty of certain things, or at worst, GONE.

I looked up parking at MUC and you can get long term parking for relatively reasonable rates, and if you book early, you can get parking for 2 weeks for €49 euros.

Check out the MUC Parking flyer

Posted

my car is insured against theft

are there any free parking zones in munich near some bus stops at all? or near s-bahn

i will park at the airport if i don't find anything else though

Posted

Related topic:

Car impounded while away on holidays

Advice on claiming back the fine

You should be ok parking it long-term anywhere with unlimited parking, in general. But if you don't check up on your car every three days and it ends up in someone's or something's way and gets towed you are liable for the towing and impounding costs. Personally, I think that long-term parking at the airport is a cheaper option.

Posted

my car is insured against theft

- my car is insured against theft too, but I sure as hell can do without the stress of firstly coming home from holiday and finding it not where I left it, and then having to report it to the police, somehow travelling home to wherever I happen to live, and purchasing a replacement car at some stage...

You might do better to post asking if anybody lives near to the airport and you can leave your car at their place for two weeks in return for a little beer money or whatever...

Posted

are there any free parking zones in munich near some bus stops at all? or near s-bahn

If you're antisocial then you can dump your car outside someone's home in a residential street somewhere for two weeks, but you'll have to do your own homework on where that might be. There's certainly no official zone for stingy airport users.

Posted

i don't want to block somebody parking place in front of his/her home, but sometimes there are unlimited parking zones not at the residential street but for example near s-bahn station. there is little risk that such parking will need to be cleared within few days and that my car will be towed away

as to theft, i have to sell this car soon anyway, but it doesn't mean i want it to be stolen. i'm just not afraid of it, why would i? it's insured, if i was afraid i wouldn't park it at all anywhere, because it's also not nice to come out of the cinema and learn that my car was taken

since i don't want to be anti-social, i'm asking you for a tip of where i could park my car, somewhere close to the munich airport, but at the same time quite close (not very) to the bus/s-bahn ... maybe a parking that is somehow away from the residential street

i'm sure such parkings exists and parking my car there wouldn't be a problem for anyone. I will risk it being stolen/taken away, it's actually only 10 days, not 2 weeks

P.S. few weeks ago i parked my car for two weeks two bus stops from basel airport, it was in unlimited 'white' zone, near tracks, 2 minutes walk from the bus stop, but not near somebody else home. it was no problem. i hoped i could find such thing also near or quite near munich airport, but there is no google street view near airport, so it's extremely hard for me to do a research

Posted

Juice: I can't help with a location suggestion, but given your willingness to park/leave the car for that amount of time... you should continue holding out for a useful answer. Don't be discouraged by the naysayers.

TT Munich seems to cultivate a certain hyper-averse-to-living-in-the-world (I mean risk) crowd that also happens to be pretty vocal. Hell, there's a thread around here on using pseudo crampons for walking around town... for non elderly people!

If you have some spare time, I guess you could drive out to a few S-Bahn/Bus stations that you'd consider the right distance from the airport-- and see if you can find a few areas that are likely to be free when you need to fly. It might be more hassle than it's worth, particularly if you can really park for 49 euro for two weeks. But that's your call.

Posted

thanks, the problem is that i don't live in munich, otherwise i would of course do as you say

i will use 49eur option of course if i won't be able to park it for free, but the idea is that i got cheap airfare and i wanted to keep it the whole trip cheap

if it was one of my for example two holiday breaks i have in a year from my 9-18 job i would probably prefer to pay and avoid the hassle, but i travel like this more often so i really need to keep my travel costs low

Posted

TT Munich seems to cultivate a certain hyper-averse-to-living-in-the-world (I mean risk) crowd that also happens to be pretty vocal. Hell, there's a thread around here on using pseudo crampons for walking around town... for non elderly people!

Thank you for not counting me among the elderly, justruss, even though I am 22 years your senior. However, if you had been through the falls and tumbles I have suffered over the last three years, resulting in a life-threatening pulmonary embolism, 16 months on crutches, a total of five weeks in the hospital, four operations and permanent damage to both right knee and left elbow you would take the safe route as well.

There is nothing wrong with mentioning risks along with giving advice.

Posted

Ismaning used to be good, but they've gotten wise and it's now impossible in most streets, but if you look about you and don't mind walking a bit, you may still be able to find something.

I wouldn't though, 2 weeks is an awful long time - roadworks, etc....

Posted

does this help?

http://www.mvv-muenchen.de/en/network-stations/park-ride/index.html

editttttt - nevermind:

"Auf vielen P+R Anlagen im MVV-Gebiet ist das Parken nur während der Betriebszeiten der öffentlichen Verkehrsmittel gestattet. Innerhalb der Stadt München und an weiteren Anlagen gilt eine Höchstparkdauer von 24 Stunden.

Bei längerem Parken wird nach den Einstellbedingungen eine Vertragsstrafe von 30 Euro je Nacht erhoben.

Es gelten jeweils die an den Anlagen ausgehängten Benutzungsbestimmungen!"

it appears the only places with 24 hour parking allowed are at Fröttmaning and Messestadt Ost. in that case it's 3 euros a day.

Posted

Thank you for not counting me among the elderly, justruss, even though I am 22 years your senior. However, if you had been through the falls and tumbles I have suffered over the last three years, resulting in a life-threatening pulmonary embolism, 16 months on crutches, a total of five weeks in the hospital, four operations and permanent damage to both right knee and left elbow you would take the safe route as well. There is nothing wrong with mentioning risks along with giving advice.

And there's nothing wrong with mentioning that some of the more vocal people on here are hyper risk averse. So the OP-- who has repeatedly told folks in this thread that he/she consciously accepts the risk-- knows the context of the advice she's/he's getting.

In any case, my post was both intentional in content and a bit playful in style. You're right, someone in your physical condition (I don't know it other than what you just posted) probably should be more careful. But keep in mind you seem to be in the 99.9% percentile of receivers of crazy, fall-based injuries. (And as for serious injuries, I had a few of my own-- fractured vertebrae/larynx this summer-- from taking the decidedly dangerous route participating in various sports.) And I know plenty of far older folks than you who live in icy or icier places than Munich who don't use crampons for getting around town...

I'm sorry to hear about your injuries, and hopefully they heal as fully as possible. But to answer your assessment that I (or anyone else, necessarily) would "take the safe route" if we had the freak (or otherwise) accidental history you have had: No.

If the OP was wondering why everyone was warning of car theft at least the OP will know the context of who has been doing the warning... and not because Munich is a car theft hot spot*.

*If Munich IS a car theft hot spot, someone might as well tell him that.

Posted

In Munich, the vehicle is more likely to get towed than broken into. Getting it back will cost more than long term parking would. Not to mention the hassle of arriving back from holiday and having to try and find out where it's gone, hotel room because the lot isn't open etc.

Also, depending exactly where you park there are also winter hazards such as snow and ice falling from a nearby roof.

Posted

Does anyone have any experience with parking P81. It is half the price of all the other expensive ones, and seems to be within walking distance (but is it really?) from the Besucherpark S-Bahn, which would make it a good compromise for travels > 3 days.

Posted

We parked there in January after the Big Snow. It's unpaved and can get messy in wet weather but you are maybe five minutes' walk away from the S-Bahn. Don't rely on the elevator and/or escalators working down to the platform, though. AFAIR your S-Bahn fare is included in the parking ticket.

Posted

Cool thanks for the quick reply. I will give it a try, with both the S1 and S8 it should not be a big wait either, and 42€ instead of 84€ for a 3 day stay is worth the try. Thanks!

Posted

We parked there in January after the Big Snow. It's unpaved and can get messy in wet weather but you are maybe five minutes' walk away from the S-Bahn. Don't rely on the elevator and/or escalators working down to the platform, though. AFAIR your S-Bahn fare is included in the parking ticket.

you are getting your P81 mixed up with p80

P80 is the open air car park BUT p81 (which the poster mentions) is the multi storey which is even nearer to the sbahn.

Very strangely, the website says that you have free transfer with the Sbahn for P80 but with the public bus with P81 despite the fact that both car parks are basicly beside each other.

http://www.munich-airport.de/de/consumer/anab/auto/parken/parkbereiche/index.jsp

Posted

There are P&R facilities with free parking, a few stations on the s-bahn.

Posted

The park and ride places at other stations have length of stay restrictions, usually 24 hours. You don't want to come back from holiday and find your car's been towed.

Posted

you are getting your P81 mixed up with p80

P80 is the open air car park BUT p81 (which the poster mentions) is the multi storey which is even nearer to the sbahn.

Very strangely, the website says that you have free transfer with the Sbahn for P80 but with the public bus with P81 despite the fact that both car parks are basicly beside each other.

http://www.munich-airport.de/de/consumer/anab/auto/parken/parkbereiche/index.jsp

Thanks, and sorry for the mistake!

Posted

Actually, these are valid points and I would appreciate your suggestions.

I fly every friday at 7pm, and come back on Sunday at 10.30pm - for which they charge full 3 day parking fee (eventhough it is strictly speaking 2 days + 3.5 hours, but they stopped apportioning fractional days).

I could park at P81, a hop away from Besucherpark, which is shared by S1 & S8, and I will be charged 42€ (instead of 84€ in P20).

The alternative is that I could park at the P&R at the S-Bahn just before, which is Hallbergmoos, although it is S1 only, so 20 minutes wait if I am not lucky with the timing (and I guess I should pay for 1 stop).

Does anyone know how P&R work for week-end stay, and how do they define week-ends? Last time, I went to Hallbergmoos but got confused by the explanations on-site and decided to play safe and drove to P20, where they charge outrageous fees. How much does P&R cost?

Posted

This link

http://www.mvv-muenchen.de/de/unterwegs-im-mvv/park-ride-nutzer/p-r-anlagen-im-detail/p-r-anlagen-statische-seiten/hallbergmoos/index.html

says 0.50€ per day - but I can't see mention of day restriction, although I remember I was not able to book more than 1 day (this is why I drove to P20 instead).

Posted

I called MVV, they confirmed 1 day max is allowed at the P&R (no exception for the week-end). :(

Posted

(...) I am at the airport now (early one) and gave a try to P81. It adds 20 mins to the journey compared to P20.

P81 itself is super easy to access from the highway, but out of 7 floors, 3 at least are reserved for Lufthansa employees and the rest is completely packed. It takes a good 5-10 mins to drive to the top floor.

Then add another 3 mins walk to the S-bahn, there is a direct bridge from P81.

Then add another 10 mins wait for the S-bahn and then Bob is your uncle.

So worth the saving definitely.