Unemployment benefits and UK house

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello all,

I am currently receving unemployment benefits and would like my parents to move in with us from the uk. I know when there are more people in the household the jobcenter always counts everyone's income as they contribute towards the rent. If my parents move in with us, they would be leaving their home in the UK which would become empty. Now my question is this,

Will the jobcenter count the house as an asset, then will this mean that our unempoyment benefit would stop?

Many thanks for all replies

Posted

If you are receiving unemployment benefits (ALG I), which are merit-based (you paid into the system when employed and can now draw benefits when unemployed), it won't matter who else is in your household.

If you are receiving Hartz IV benefits (ALG II), which are means-tested, then yes, the job center will count the income and assets of everyone in your Bedarfsgemeinschaft.

Posted

Thanks for the reply.

So does this mean if I am receiving ALG1 then they won't even take into account my parents pension? And the jobcenter will still contribute towards my rent?

Posted

So does this mean if I am receiving ALG1 then they won't even take into account my parents pension? And the jobcenter will still contribute towards my rent?

Are you sure it's ALG I you're receiving? "Contributions toward rent" sounds an awful lot like ALG II. Normally any benefits of this type are means-tested, so would therefore be subject to reevaluation if your household circumstances change.

Posted

Thanks for the reply westvan, but they have no other family there and the reason why we moved here first is to get settled and then see if they would be able to move here with us. That is why we are collecting all the information first before we go ahead with anything. The main problem is the unemployment benefits and rent, which is why I would like to know whether the jobcenter would still contribute towards the rent even though there is the "extra income" from my parents pension?

Posted

There are a lot of variable factors in this equation, which makes it difficult to give clear answers. Are both you and your husband British? How long have you been in Germany? Have either or both of you worked here, and how long? How long have you been unemployed, and are both of you unemployed? What type of benefits are you receiving now?

Germany is starting to clamp down on Hartz IV (ALG II) benefits for foreigners - see this thread: No more Hartz IV for immigrants and this thread: Hartz IV for foreigners in Germany for more information.

Depending on what your prospects are for finding work, it would be prudent to reconsider bringing your parents over.

Posted

yes my husband works and we are claiming Hartz 4 ...

So it seems to be Hartz IV, and the OP's husband isn't German.

Posted

Yes, I just spent a bit of time reading up on the OP's older posts too. Unfortunately, this sounds like a bad situation about to get worse.

@ Sunshine25: Since your older posts indicate that you are receiving Hartz IV (ALG II), you really need to sit down and consider what your options are. Several important points on this:

* Germany is clamping down on Hartz IV benefits for foreigners, so if you are dependent on Hartz IV, fully or in part, you need to be aware that getting your benefits cut and being told to go back to your native country is a very real possibility.

* As El Jeffo already mentioned, Hartz IV benefits are means-tested. In other words, the job center will count the income and assets of everyone in your household (including your parents, should they join your household) and adjust any benefit payments accordingly.

Posted

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes we are receving hartz4 but my husband has just got the sack and therefore are in the process of applying for ALG1. We are both british and have been living here for just over two years now. I am staying home at the moment looking after our daughter of 5 months. I am worried about my parents as they are on their own, and that's why I would like them to come and live with us. Before my husband got the sack things were different, and now as we are going to apply for ALG1, then that is why I am asking if the jobcenter will still help out towards the rent etc, regardless of their uk pension and home in the UK?

Many thanks for all replies.

Posted

Ask the job center directly? Only they know your exact situation.

Posted

Westvan is right, you need to get an appointment at the job center and ask them all these questions. There are way too many things that are really unclear from what you've shared here.

Short answer: No, the job center is likely to cut the help you're getting with rent if your parents move in with you.

Middle-ish answer: The job center could also conceivably cut all help and send you back to your native country.

Long answer:

As far as I can make out, your husband was working, but not earning enough - so getting a "top-up" from the job center. To my knowledge, this kind of top-up comes from the Hartz IV monies.

And now your husband has been let go, and wants to apply for ALG I. However, if what he was earning before still qualified for a top-up, then what he gets as ALG I will require even more of a top-up, as ALG I is only 60% of your salary (and from what you've said, it may be doubtful whether he'll qualify for ALG I, depends on how long he's been working).

Either way, you've been getting benefits that are from the Hartz IV pot. As has been said numerous times on this thread, Hartz IV is means-tested. In other words, the job center will count the income and assets of everyone in your household (including your parents, should they join your household) and adjust any benefit payments accordingly.