Contacting a police station

24 posts in this topic

Posted

I wonder if someone could help me locate a police station in Berlin or advise on who best to contact. When I was in Berlin, I witnessed a rather bizarre event on Lützowplatz, on the southern bank of the Landwehrkanal. I was approaching the bridge there when I noticed, right down by the river, two men throwing a suitcase into the river. When they saw that I had spotted them, they immediately looked incredibly guilty and furtive, ran up to the car they had left parked on Lützowplatz and tore off at top speed. Now I am not in Berlin, but I have been thinking that maybe I should contact the police and report this, in case this is important at all. I don't mean because the suitcase was filled with cash, maybe just some sort of evidence that needed destroyed or something linked to a criminal case.

Does anyone know which address I can write to or which police station I should contact?

Posted

Here you go - also in English :-)

http://www.berlin.de/polizei/english.html

Posted

You can always just walk into the nearest cop-shop!

(though about the first thing they will ask for is ID, so take your passport with you!)

Posted

I am not in Berlin right now physically, I wanted to write.

I am having difficulty working out which one covers Lützowplatz:

http://www.berlin.de/polizei/bezirk/index.html

Posted

When I was in Berlin...

You can always just walk into the nearest cop-shop!

I appreciate you've been around a while but just how dumb are you, Robinson? Do you just comment because you like to see your own name on a thread? The clue here is in the word "was". I can walk you through it if needs be.

Posted

So why didn't you report it straightaway when you saw it? Or did I miss something here?

Posted

Do you know how long it takes to find a place to report things and report it? Perhaps OP needed to meet someone, catch a train- whatever. This wasn't an assault he witnessed.

Posted

No, fortunately it wasn't, just some blokes throwing something away, which again means the trail - if there ever was one - has already grown so cold as to render it most likely not only dead, but rotting and stinking already. But thanks for your righteous indignation all the same Gail.

PS. OP - why not contact the Berliner Polizeipräsidium or some such and ask them for advice if you really think this should be reported?

Posted

Do you know how long it takes to find a place to report things and report it?

About 3 Min to call 110 and leave a tip..

Posted

Bad advice, dude. I tried to leave a tip once, I figured 18% should do it, and they fucking arrested me for bribery. I guess 20% is now the norm...

Posted

I appreciate you've been around a while but just how dumb are you, Robinson? Do you just comment because you like to see your own name on a thread? The clue here is in the word "was". I can walk you through it if needs be.

For a start I resent your comment of how dumb you think I am.

Secondly, have you ever contemplated that police forces actually share information?

It is most definitely part of their job, and almost certainly leads to more crimes being solved than if every little police force were to stick to just it´s own region!

Posted

Wow, Maurizio, if you think that's righteous indignation, you really have never been either righteous or indignant.

And I wonder if you have ever walked into a "cop shop"? I haven't in Germany, but in the US and Italy, you can wipe 4-7 hours good-bye with absolutely no outcome. Perhaps OP comes from the same background that I do. By the way, I have called the Polizei quite often in Germany and strangely enough, the itinerants are still accosting drivers at the Messe 5 years later, in violation of the law. So I don't think calling in does very much.

Posted

For a start I resent your comment of how dumb you think I am.

Duly noted.

Secondly, have you ever contemplated that police forces actually share information? It is most definitely part of their job, and almost certainly leads to more crimes being solved than if every little police force were to stick to just it´s own region!

That's lovely. You are assuming that he is still in Germany. All he's looking for is a contact for a nearby police station which presumably someone in Berlin should be able to provide. He could, of course, look something up on the internets but for whatever reason he has asked here.

Posted

And I wonder if you have ever walked into a "cop shop"? I haven't in Germany, but in the US and Italy, you can wipe 4-7 hours good-bye with absolutely no outcome. Perhaps OP comes from the same background that I do. By the way, I have called the Polizei quite often in Germany and strangely enough, the itinerants are still accosting drivers at the Messe 5 years later, in violation of the law. So I don't think calling in does very much.

4 to 7 hrs to make a simple police/ incident report in the US? LOL

If what you have to say is indeed interesting or relates to a serious crime a detective may actually sit down with you.

Most of the time an officer will give you a form (police/ incident report), you write down what you saw, sign it, leave tel number incase they have follow up questions and leave.

Unless you yourself where involved, a witness or a victim of a crime (and again depending on seriousness) or yourself are a person of interest related to a serious crime, you’re out of there in less than an hr.

Strangers (people you don’t know) tossing a suitcase in the river amounts to little more than a tip which you can also leave on the tip line.

Optionally you can also leave your number on the tip line, incase an officer wants to follow up on that tip to file an “incident report” at your convenience.

No US police station has the time or resources to accommodate you for 4 to 7 hrs for a mere incident report with a strong likelihood to amount to littering. :)

Posted

You have no concept. I walked into a sub-station in NY to report that I saw a car (whose number I took down) back into another car (whose number I took down) and the location.

First, I was sent to another sub-station. Then I waited three hours to fill the report (I was a righteous grad student at the time). Then they told me they would not contact any of the people involved.

What a waste.

Another time, someone tried to prevent me from parking in a legal spot on 85th. He said he was a policeman and it was his spot. I noted where he lived and went to report him as abusing authority. Another 4 hours later (these are not violent crimes) I was laughed at, they took my info and nothing was ever done.

What tiny city do you come from where the police care about crimes like this? Try filing a police report in CA for stolen luggage from a rental (required for the insurance claim) or a stolen wallet in Italy (same reason). Or try waiting to get a replacement passport for the same reason (must have the police report for the embassy/consulate). I don't find that the police give a crap about taking reports for this type of thing.

Anyway- you seem to agree that this would not be something you would miss an appointment to report.

Posted

And nobody bothered yet to go retrieve the suitcase and see what was inside? Could be a huge haul of ill gotten loot ;)

Posted

Always try and get a licence number. Easy to say but it saves a lot of bother with all that these were these two geezers with violin cases right and it was a dark night and I think they were driving a motorcycle with sidecar...

Posted

And nobody bothered yet to go retrieve the suitcase and see what was inside? Could be a huge haul of ill gotten loot

If the people in my area are anything to go by, then it was probably the highly illegal act of disposing of garden leaves without a Laubsack. No wonder they looked furtive, the bastards!

Posted

Anyway- you seem to agree that this would not be something you would miss an appointment to report.

I guess it varies from place to place. In the last year I called the London police a fair amount, as I lived above a bar that was a bit of gang hangout. The longest conversation I had was when I was physically describing the outfits and appearance of three people who were physically kicking this shit out a forth person as it was happening. Even then I only talked for about five minutes.

At least in London the police are really too busy to waste too much time with you unless you are the direct witness of a murder or some such.

Posted

Where would you go to report a trailer blocking visibility in an intersection?

We live in an area that used to be industrial and thusly had loads of trucks and trailers, especially camper trailers, parked there. So some idiot, again parked right next to an intersection making all but impossible to see traffic from the left. Unfortunately if you have an accident it would be your fault inspite of the blocked viability.