Accessing Money During Christmas Holidays

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello from sunny Dallas. I will be arriving in Munich the morning of December 24th for a 2 week holiday. I am wondering how easy it will be to access bank/ATM during the holidays so I know how much cash versus travellers checks I should bring. I'm going to have some USD converted to Euros to bring as well. Will my normal bank card work at the ATMs there? Will it be a hassle to cash travellers checks?

As always thanks for your help Toytown :D

DallasTXgirl

Posted

I didn't know people used travellers cheques any more. Weird. Most 'Merkins I've met who come here on holiday use their credit card in the ATMs or exchange dollars at the Reisebank in Hauptbahnhof.

Surely you would know better as to whether your bank card will work outside the US. You haven't mentioned which bank it is. Just check on their website for international use.

Posted

Thanks for the quick reply Keydeck. I don't normally use travellers checks anymore but then again I'm not usually travelling during so many banking holidays. Don't want to have too much cash on me at one time either.

I use JPMorgan Chase so I will check with them as you suggested.

DallasTXgirl

Posted

All I've seen online is that people do use Chase cards at international ATMs but be prepared for the fees. Your bank can tell you more.

Posted

Capitalone does not charge an in'tl fee- try using that. You want a Cirrhus marker on the card.

Posted

Chase said the card will work. $5 USD fee each time at an ATM, or if I use it as a debit/credit card they add 3% as a transaction fee.

I hope this information helps someone out in the future.

I understand that you guys are having some cold weather and snow now, its in the 70s here in Dallas today :P

Happy Friday to all!

DallasTXgirl

Posted

And just in case you didn't know: Shops will be closed during the holidays.

Posted

Gail123, is the Cirrus mark unique to Capital One? There is a Cirrus mark on the back of my Capital One Card but not on any of my other credit cards (Bank of America, etc.)

I was not planning on using a credit card much, but if that saves money I suppose I can just pay off the balance when I get back home to avoid any interest.

DallasTXgirl

Posted

Buel, I know most things will be closed the 24, 25 and 26th. I've read on here places where we can eat if we get tired of hanging out with my friends relatives :blink: What days will most things be closed the week of New Years?

I know the holidays may not be the best time to visit Munich. I honestly don't mind having a low key kind of holiday as usually I'm working like crazy as its our most busy time of the year at work so anything will be a welcome change :D

As for shopping, its considered a sport in Dallas...LOL, and I for one am not a big shopper!

DallasTXgirl

Posted

I would suggest you forget the travellers cheques, and bring some Euros with you, along with your visa card!

Posted

I understand that you guys are having some cold weather and snow now, its in the 70s here in Dallas today

My fiancée is currently in the Dallas area. I have not been enjoying the weather reports.

Posted

No, the Cirrus thing is a general network. CapitalOne doesn't charge a fee (which is why I use it). Unless you have certain Chase cards (not the three Chase credit cards I have) they will actually charge you a forex fee in addition to a foreign ATM fee (although I think Chase Sapphire does not). Amex is one of the worst on forex fees and charges.

Posted

You mentioned Bank of America. Don't know if you have just a credit card or a bank account there as well, but you can get cash out at Deutsche Bank for free with a BoA cash card.