Grime, garage, drum and bass

38 posts in this topic

Posted

Right then,

I like to think I have an open mind, I'm always hoping to find new genres of music (the last thing I got into was world music) but I took ten minutes to read this Graun article and straight faced, attempted to appreciate it. If I'm doing something wrong tell me, but when I read this:

quite simply one of the greatest tracks in the history of British electronic music.

I had to start laughing as I am no fuddy duddy when it comes to electronic music.

So, while I try to keep a straight face, can anyone enlighten me as to what I am missing here?

Let's open the game with a real piece of electronica, arguably the first ever: Gary Numan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldyx3KHOFXw

Having played with digital versions known as VSTs of the synths these guys used I can testify that this music is HARD to make.

Also let's dig up a real classic of this genre:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUgotRtjQ5M

Posted

old

Posted

Actually yeah stb you have a point. Mind you I wasn't pruning roses, I was digging out 1.5 metre long kerb stones out of the future lawn.

Posted

Well, I've heard of garage, could recognise drum and bass but have never heard of grime. Are you having us on, Jem?

Posted

Nina - you're a better woman than me if you can recognise the genres. I even tried to understand jungle but failed. Nope Grime is a genre so they tell me.

Posted

If you've heard of Dizzee Rascal, Wiley or Tinie Tempah then you've heard of grime.

Posted

Witch house, anyone?

Posted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8KYOANsLi8&feature=player_embedded#!

And don't forget Jungle

Posted

Make sure you don't mix US Garage with UK Garage. US Garage also known as Garage Rock (to differentiate it with UK garage) is essentially a rough, punk style rock which may have taken its name from bands that practiced in their own garages in suburban America. That said, another form of Garage in the US was Garage House, which had no relationship to Garage Rock, except that both were often just called Garage. Garage House in the US was much smaller than Garage Rock.

UK Garage, also known in the UK simply as Garage, has no connection either with US Garage rock, but more closely related to (though larger) than US Garage House. From my experiences, many people I knew from the US when referring to Garage, were discussing Garage Rock, where as in the UK if someone was discussing Garage, it would almost always be the House(Electronic) variety.

Posted

Nice! I have to say probably the best Drum and Bass album was Dieselboy's Drum & Bass Selection USA, from '96, especially track 9,

at 2 minutes, that fucking bass line still gives me goosebumps!

Another great one, from around the same time (when I was a rave kid)-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVmkO3XAj0M"]

Posted

And finally,

Those are probably my top 3 tracks. LTJ Bukem, who is in that list that hams posted, always produced solid albums. Reprazent's (Roni Size) first album, New Forms, is also a classic.

I like some of the stuff from Wilie, Tinie Tempah and Dizzie Rascal, but some of it is pretty crap too.

Posted

I was always much more into the harder metalheadz/techstep stuff, but Ive got a few things by LTJ and Roni Size and I quite like that AK1200 track.

Posted

Dieselboy was my favorite, he definitely got "darker" as the years went on!

Posted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYHE4HtWgTM

PFM - Western. One of my favourites :)

Posted

That's the kind of twattish attitude I hate. Music changes; deal with it, granddad. When Roxy Music or Gary Numan appeared on the scene thirty years ago there were a load of dull 50-somethings mumbling "this isn't music, this is dirge!" But they stood the test of time and so will grime/dubstep/D&B/garage etc., despite being largely an underground scene.

Posted

Well, I've heard of Dizee Rascal and Tiny Tempah so I can't be over the hill yet. Hurray!

Posted

well, from a German/Austrian perspective - and I know they are pretty accepted in the US as well - you might want to consider also

KRUDER & DORFMEISTER

I know it will be lame for some, but I still like it...

cheerio

Posted

Yay! My favorite topic. To define Garage House, where to begin..? Well, there’s sometimes a bit of disco in there. I guess, if you can shake a big shusshy, glittery, shake-your-shimmy stick at it, chances are, it is Garage House, or a close relative. I guess what defines US Garage House for me is Rochelle Fleming – Danger.

Typically Garage House features female vocalists, the most successful of whom grew up singing at church youth choirs. Sabrina Johnston, Sabrynaah Pope, Barbara Tucker, Su Su Bobien, Kathy Sledge, Kathy Brown have all turned a hand to Garage/Gospel House at some stage of their career.

Gospel House (aka Spiritual House) is a very close relative and increases the focus on church organ style tune and choir vocals. In many online music sites, e.g. traxsource, Gospel House and Garage House are sorted under the umbrella category “Soulful House”.

What defines Gospel House for me are for example:

Mijan – Alright

Basement Boys – Solid Ground http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y3JS4o0NVM

I have my own subcategory of Garage House, which I lovingly call “sashay across the room with attitude” Garage House e.g.

D’bra Powell – Walkin on faith http://www.traxsource.com/index.php?act=show&fc=tpage&cr=titles&cv=68579

It’s interesting the path that Germany took during the evolution of Garage House. In the early years of music retail, Germany was very “techno” centric, and as any Garage House enthusiast in Germany will remember in those early years, you would be forced to browse through the “techno” category in music stores to find your (few) Garage House tracks. While outside of Germany Garage House was throttling at full pelt in the 90s, in Germany it was very, very rare.

Fast forward thru the late 90s and beyond, and Germany saw the partial residency of such vocalists as Sabrynaah Pope (RIP) while German record labels seemingly couldn’t get enough of the Garage House sound.

Its speculation, but now it almost seems that while Garage House is dying out day by day in other countries, in Germany there is a knock-on effect from touring groups like the Harlem Gospel Singers (they consistently book out solidly now), and especially Soulful/Spiritual House acts are getting signed up by more record labels in Germany than anywhere else.

Although the music stores in Germany have smartened up and no longer lump everything into either “techno” or “jazz”, I still wish they would categorize their music properly and not just choose the lazy option of shoving everything in “dance” or “lounge/chill”.

Posted

Although the music stores in Germany have smartened up and no longer lump everything into either “techno” or “jazz”, I still wish they would categorize their music properly and not just choose the lazy option of shoving everything in “dance” or “lounge/chill”.

The trouble is, like another massively bifurcated genre - Metal, not even the freaks can usually unanimously decide what any particular track is "Grime? naah mon, listen to the synth, thats twostep all over"..."True metal? I will smite you with my replica Odins Hammer if you dont admit thats death with black influences and a smattering of technical doom" etcetcetc.

One goes in "Dance" and the other in "Heavy", innit. Most mainstream record store personnel couldnt tell the difference between Lady Gaga and Kajagoogoo anyway (wait...) so be happy it isnt all in "Rock and Pop".

Posted

well, from a German/Austrian perspective - and I know they are pretty accepted in the US as well - you might want to consider also

KRUDER & DORFMEISTER

I know it will be lame for some, but I still like it...

cheerio

Lame would be too extreme..these guys are great! :) Considered legends of the genre by many, even though they've lost their mojo a bit lately.

It's not easy to find there mixes online, so here's is a bomb of a live set..(well not so live but still...)

Kruder & Dorfmeister - Heitere Festival CH (2010)