Where to buy Chanukkah candles in Berlin?

11 posts in this topic

Posted

There is a kosher shop on sybelstr. Just off wilmersdorferstr in Charlottenburg. Adenauer platz is the closest ubahn stop. I am pretty sure they will have candles--was going to stop by there later today.

Posted

Aren't all industrially-produced candles these days considered kosher?

Posted

The Literaturhandlung on Joachimstalerstrasse has them too.

Posted

Aren't all industrially-produced candles these days considered kosher?

Yes, all candles are fine, only issues that can come up have to do with the length of burning time especially on Friday nights.

Anyone know the answer to the question about Hamburg, or should I feel inspired by the Berliners (sufganiyot pun intended) and start a new post?

Posted

I bought some candles here:

Plaetzl Imbiss

district: Charlottenburg, Passauer Str. 4 (opposite the famous KaDeWe department store), transportation: U-Bahn line 1, 2 to Wittenberg Platz, tel: 2 17 75 06

kosher grocery store and snack bar

open Monday - Thursday 9 am - 6 pm; Friday 9 am - 2 pm

Posted

on a similiar subject, does anyone know of a synagogue that offers english services, preferably a liberal, reform synagogue?

Posted

I think, not 100% sure, that the Huttenweg Synagogue is very English-language friendly. I am ashamed to say that I have never actually been there - I cannot find the energy to get all the way to Zehlendorf for God. Perhaps if I knew there was also food being served.

I also think I have read somewhere that the Rabbi in Oranienburger Str. was ordained in the US or UK (she's German).

I was just thinking of it the other day. There are probably of plenty (OK, relatively...) Jewish English speakers in Berlin, and that it would have been nice for my kids to know other English-speaking Jewish kids to celebrate Hanukkah with. Or adults. But you know what I mean, I am actually surprised that there isn't some sort of spontaneous get-together of English speaking Jews in Berlin, to celebrate holidays and such. I even dare to think that people who are not-affiliated because they can't fit in with what is being currently offered (Chabad, German-language communities), might have something in common.

I know of several Israeli groups, and it is all good and nice (and personally I speak Hebrew so no problem there) but what about English speakers?

Posted

Maybe we can set up an event for high holidays for kids and of course adults... let me know for the future.