Strangers boxing you into racial categories

229 posts in this topic

Posted

Post a picture, and we can see for our selves what makes you shine like that.

Posted

Your hands are full of old men?

No wonder they try to talk to you...

Posted

Could it be that some people are just interested? Merely making conversation. You may be reading too much into this. To be honest being half American could mean your ethnic origin could be from anywhere. People don't stop looking Chinese just because they were born in America.

Word! But why do I need to justify my looks? Just like if I randomly talk to a stranger in America, who may have Asian features, I don't ask them for a summary of their lineage!

Posted

Touche. Maybe I'm just being ultra sensitive because of the sheer volume in which this has occurred in my life!

No photo! That will totally blow my cover. Plus, as Keydeck mentioned, I clearly already have my hands full with old men, etc. Hottt.

If you look anything like Arunadasi you're probably leaving a trail of broken hearts and a lot of male dribble in your path.

Edit: I meant dribble from the corners of their mouths.

Posted

This reminds of my son.

He came home Monday complaining about this one girl from another class, who was talking with one of his friends and asked that boy "who is your Turkish friend"? My son doesn't think before talking (much like his mom) and said "that is racist, but if you must know I am Italian and American"....

Easy enough... Though, I did explain that she wasn't being racist, but that she probably saw other handsome boys, that her parents said were Turkish. And, that maybe she wanted to know more about different cultures. As, he had this puzzled look on his face and said "yah, maybe you are right..."

Posted

Touche. Maybe I'm just being ultra sensitive because of the sheer volume in which this has occurred in my life!

so this happened 3 times in the last 2 months.

and prior to that how often did it happen?

I really think it's a non-issue, friendly folk making convo.

though

Situation B: (Crowded airport at the gate to London) You're flying to Istanbul, right?

sounds like a looper if you are at a Gate to London.

Posted

though sounds like a looper if you are at a Gate to London.

You'd be amazed how many people queue up at the wrong gate/check-in desk/airline.

Posted

You'd be amazed how many people queue up at the wrong gate/check-in desk/airline.

then perhaps the person was checking if they were at the correct gate.

Posted

See, if that were me I'd be flattered. You could always reply "Yes, I'm from India - dark, mysterious, an assault on the senses and I know the Karma Sutra front to back and back to front. Your room or mine?"

Posted

It's quite easy to find racist behaviour and/or comments if you really want to.

Posted

post-156076-1354701853717_thumb.jpg

I think she's unhappy to be still mistaken for a human, given her (allegedly) supra super-human looks!

Posted

Gurudev,

Who are we talking about now? Catherine Zeta-Jones?