6-person couchette cars on night train

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi,

I'm got a 10 hour segment on a city night train coming up in a few weeks. 2 adults, 3 kids, so we've got 5 berths in a 6-person couchette car reserved. my main concern is how to handle baggage. The DB site doesn't seem to have an actual picture of one of these berths, so I don't know if there is any space to put luggage. If not, I'm curious what do people do about that. I've seen people here warn about thieves on the night lines so I can't imagine leaving luggage unattended outside the room.

Someone has recommended using the DB package sending service (through Hermes I think) to send a suitcase ahead of us. I'm not sure exactly how that works but I may try to go to Hbf and try to fumble through that conversation in German. We potentially may bring some ski equipment with us - trying to debate between renting / buying used here in Berlin and bringing it with us, versus paying more to rent it in Switzerland.

Any other tips for surviving this journey will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted

Problem is, the OP only has 5 of the 6 berths reserved, so potentially there will be someone else in with them. I strongly urge you to go to the Reisezentrum and reserve this 6th place as well, if at all possible, as this will be a massive help in terms of giving you at least a bit of space and freedom within the compartment (as detailled by STB). Otherwise, that 6th berth may well be taken by a stranger that is intent on getting his/her own three large suitcases into the compartment as well...

Posted

The kids should love it. Mine did, they always had great fun on the night train. its a little less fun if you have a grumpy old man or woman as your sixth passenger, so so try to book that last bed.. should only be around 20 Euros. Have fun with the DB sheets and working out who sleeps on top.

Posted

If there are 5 of you, you should have the compartment to yourselves anyway:

http://www.citynightline.de/citynightline/view/de/info/komfort.shtml

But it cannot hurt to ask.

Posted

There is space under the bottom bunks (if I remember rightly, I think my 20 cm deep case just about fitted under the bunk) and usually above the door over the top of the corridor.

I find bags are easier than suitcases.

Posted

Thanks for the info, everyone! I didn't think it would be possible for me to reserve the 6th bed without buying another ticket or something. But that sounds great - I will go to the station tomorrow to see if they can add one more reservation. Thanks!

Posted

Definitely the best way to travel overnight. We traveled by night trains a number of times when our children were small and they loved it. I second the advice to get the luggage stowed away before you let the kids loose - there's not much space in those carriages! If you can reserve the sixth berth it's worth doing as it gives you certainty.