Should I buy an expensive car?

108 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey guys,

I have been in Munich for sometime now, as I now have a decent place and my first job in a company I have some hundreds euros extra every month and I am considering buying my first car.

I live in Trudering and need to take the S-Bahn every time which pisses me off since the damn thing only comes once every 20 minutes and with this lovely winter it is not so nice to wait 10 minutes in the cold wind.

My parents and my gf suggested I buy a car, and as I decided to look into it I realized that if I use a big amount of my savings (I have around 28k that I have been saving since I was 13) I can actually afford to buy my dream car second hand. A Porsche Cayman S.

I visited a dealer last week and now I am actually considering buying this car but everybody in my life keeps telling me to buy a Corsa or any cheap car since I am young etc..

Am I being crazy?

Posted

I have a underground garage

Posted

Do you work in the same underground garage or do you have to drive to get there? Just sayin, if it's your first car you should perfect your driving skills and become more familiar with environment before stepping up to the plate with a Porsche.

Posted

Is the French for WTF?

Posted

Here you can compare the cost of ownership of different cars:

http://www.autokostencheck.de/Porsche/Porsche-Cayman/987/cayman-s-3-4-987_18684.html

At least 446 euro per month, twice as much as for Corsa. The cost of insurance can be even higher for you as a young driver.

Also, if you want to drive a luxury car, you do not need to buy it. You can rent it for weekends from Sixt/Europcar etc.

Posted

Midlife Crisis :unsure:

Posted

I'd rather buy property and own an average car, but hey, vive la différence.

You could always live in your car but you couldn't drive your house to work :)

Seriously though unless you're 1 of the lucky ones swimming in cash then what does having a "flash" car do for you.

I haven't had a car for 4 or 5 years now (no need due to public transport around here) but the cars I have had have always been old and cheap and I've driven them into the ground until the TÜV ran out then brought another shit heap.

All told including tax,insurance,petrol etc in the 5 or 6 years I drove over here then I doubt if I have spent more than 5k.

Posted

Is your dick so small that you need an expensive car to get the girls?

Honestly, you are young - any old car will do to get from A to B in, and driving around town isn´t going to do a hell of a lot of good for maintaining the value of such a car anyway.

Get a little run-around to see you through winter, and get used to driving in snow and sludge before doing anything silly with your money!

Posted

Save your money for something really important.

Posted

If you're looking for a car for occasional use go with one of the car rental companies (rent a fancy car)there is also the rental by the hour cars too

Posted

From personal experience: I bought my dream car when I was made a publisher at a major news group in the US in my twenties. I drove the thing until I cracked it up in my 30s in a car accident. I loved that car and everything it represented. If you can afford it (really) and it reflects your real status in life (you think - not someone else) and you really want it, then do it. You only get to go around once and you'll be more satisfied if you do. Think of all the things the other posters said, but, in the end, it's your cash. You earned it. You spend it.

Posted

Congratulations on saving so much and so consistently since you were 13. That shows considerable maturity.

The car thing, now... You have a dream, and you want to realise it. Now. You do realise that a dream is really no more than a castle in the sky, don't you? Once you've realised it you'll have a new dream, and then a new one, and then another one again. You'll never run out of dreams; cherish them but don't take them too seriously. Right now, all you need is to get from A to B. I think practicalities should take precedence over dreams at this time in your life. Just my 2 c. Good luck; it's your money and your decision.

Posted

Hey guys,

Am I being crazy?

yes.

Posted

Buy a used BMW series 1 and spend the rest in coke and whores.

Posted

Pick up a timetable; they're free.

.... If you spend money on property or stocks then you are making an investment for the future; if you spend it on a car you are throwing it down the drain because in ten years' time it will be worth close enough to nothing. The idea that someone would throw away their life savings on something with zero long-term value makes me want to cry. If you need a car from time to time, sign up with one of the carsharing companies.

I was being polite in my last post. This ^^^^^^^ is what I REALLY wanted to say. Do the mature thing. Buy a Corsa.